waterfowl jacket

UpTop

WKR
so a bunch of you have mentioned the dakota hoodie. When I looked at this and thought of it as a mid layer. am I wrong about that? I am looking for basically the outer shell. I have lots of layering items now just dont have a waterproof outer shell that I think is trustworthy. I have quite a bit of western hunting type gear but nothing truly waterproof.
Thanks again.
It is definitely a mid layer, not an outer shell. All of your other gear as far as base and mid layers should work fine. Lots of decent options for outer shells that don’t cost $3-500.00. I really think you’d be pretty happy with the northern flight

Any of the 3n1 jackets are pretty good. For where you are hunting, I really like a mid-weight fleece. Just warm enough to keep a chill off but still can breath and does well wet. I also use an older browning soft-shell type jacket that I really like if its cool and windy but not much rain (those good, ducky days).

My family of 5 have been through a lot of waterfowl gear over the years, we hunt in all conditions down here on the coast but rain proof is a must. I know you said affordable, but I finally caught a deal on the Sitka Delta Wading jacket. They were about $175-$200 or so depending on sizes. Anyhow, this was the best thing I ever did for our waterfowling. Wife and I have sat through insane downpours in them and it's just a shell so very versatile. You can even reach into the water briefly and if the cuffs are tight water doesn't come in. Looks like Mountain Archery has the Pro for mid-$300 range. The only thing I hate is I got an XL for myself so I could layer but size was already big so it's a bit of a balloon on me..

I have not had it in a down pour but spending hours out in cold sleet snowy rain i have never gotten wet with the dakota.
Mine soaked through in a light mist, wasn't even a drizzle. We hunt the coast though and there's always driving wind with the moisture. Great midlayer if it's cold though, would be perfect under the Delta which is the only reason I still have it. Obviously don't need camo if I'm wearing it under the Delta though.

KurtR

WKR
Mine soaked through in a light mist, wasn't even a drizzle. We hunt the coast though and there's always driving wind with the moisture. Great midlayer if it's cold though, would be perfect under the Delta which is the only reason I still have it. Obviously don't need camo if I'm wearing it under the Delta though.
If its cold the duck oven is really hard to beat. I dont break that out till mid teens and below.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Dakota hoodie I can ship you, don't care for the way it fits me and it's not even remotely waterproof. Size is XL.
Since your just starting out, my recommendation is that Cabelas 3:1. It's just so versatile.

I have zero issues with my old set and my dad and buddy also have.

I wear my Dakota Hoodie in 90% of my hunting and its my go-to now that I have it.

I don't know who said it's not waterproof, maybe your confusing it with the Grinder that's a soft shell that's def NOT waterproof. But I've worn my Dakota in steady rain and some down pours and I've been fine.

The Dakota Hoodie can be worn as an outer layer all by itself or as a mid layer. It's pretty versatile.

I layer depending on the conditions and if its warm, sunny, rainy, snowy, cold and everything in between....

My Sitka waterfowl kit (one that I've built over the years) is:

First Lite Merino baselayers
Sitka Core 1/4 zip
Sitka Dakota Hoodie
Sitka Grinder Pant
Sitka Grinder Jacket
Sitka Dakota Vest
Sitka Hudson Bibs
Sitka Delta Wading Jacket
Cabelas Zoned Boots
(Snow) Plain White Hoodie
Sitka Dakota Beanie (both white and camo)
Banded Black Label Waders

Now my BACKUP kit is:

[Cheap No Name] baselayers
Rogers Camo Hoodie
Rogers/Federal 1/4 Zip midweight
Drake MST Guardian Eqwader w/hood
PowerCap lighted Beannies
Cabelas N. Flight Dri-Fowl Bibs
Drake MST Ultimate Wader Pants
Gander H20 3:1 Parka (basically the cabelas)
Cabelas Neoprene waders

And I'll be 100% honest, if my Sitka kit was stolen or misplaced, i would have ZERO issues wearing my backup kit. My backup kit is basically what my dad and brother wear. Birds don't care, I just became a camo snob.

But I'll also say, that if a piece of gear or camo doesn't cut it, I get rid of it. I spend too much time hunting, and getting ready for hunting season to have me doubt my gear. And that goes for everything. As MossyOak slogan says, "It's not a passion, it's an obsession."

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt BC coastal salt water marshes. Wear a plain old under armour hoodie (same one in my avatar) until it starts getting cool and wet. then its a green HH Impertech jacket with whatever layering combos are required for the day. That's usually a combo of merino, and and wool stansfield, maybe a light puffy vest if is really cold

worked pretty well for me

Last edited:

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned it all it seems like when it comes to waterfowling.
For wet conditions - gore tex or properly treated cabelas dri-fowl/dry plus if you want some breathability, otherwise just get a packable pvc type rain jacket in a solid brown or dark green and stuff it in the blind bag. Drake is garbage when it comes to being water proof (and overall lack of quality). Avery/banded is hit or miss except for their waxed stuff and some of their newer stuff.
One piece I haven't seen mentioned is the sitka jetstream. It's only recently been available in the marsh and timber patterns, but it's the best shell sitka has not named the delta wading jacket. And it's often on sale for around $200 (maybe not in marsh or timber, but camo color is for hunters). I beat the snot out of a jetstream last fall from layout blind snow goose & mallard hunts to punching through tall switchgrass/willows/cattails to get to out of the way spots on public. It's an effective versitile outer shell.
Some other under the radar brands you could look at are LL Bean and Columbia. Both still make some hunting gear that works for waterfowling.

KurtR

WKR
The jetstream is really versatile. If just starting out it would do a lot of jobs for one piece of clothing

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, I need to sell my Delta wading Jacket I have as it is a little too small for my liking and then find another one.
so if anyone is looking I have a Large Delta wading Jacket for sale

shader112

WKR
My suggestion

Midway brand heavyweight merino long underwear and socks. Best bang for the buck

If hunting in waders any kind of pants will work, I like wrangler stretchy utility pants

Get a BLackovis or other merino heavyweight hoodie

Then go buy the rogers brand vest. On sale they are like 30 bucks and are windproof and very warm.

That combo gets me down into the 20s, and if I get cold throw on a rain jacket to block wind/rain

I also have a nice heavy parka and bibs for late season but it's not necessary unless hunting very cold days and probably out of your price range

My suggestion

Midway brand heavyweight merino long underwear and socks. Best bang for the buck

If hunting in waders any kind of pants will work, I like wrangler stretchy utility pants

Get a BLackovis or other merino heavyweight hoodie

Then go buy the rogers brand vest. On sale they are like 30 bucks and are windproof and very warm.

That combo gets me down into the 20s, and if I get cold throw on a rain jacket to block wind/rain

I also have a nice heavy parka and bibs for late season but it's not necessary unless hunting very cold days and probably out of your price range
I use the midway wader sweats and they are awesome.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
triforce