waterfowl jacket

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for an affordable jacket to duck and goose hunt in eastern oregon/southern idaho and salt lake areas. Im new to duck hunting but not to hunting. I know I want something waterproof and I would prefer to layer instead of a bulky coat. there are so many online options but nothing local I can actually go touch. I cant afford Sitka and Kuiu, but Scheels has the first lite UNC Foundry on sale for 250. can any of you wizards point me in a direction for around that price range or less? or should I just go get the UNC?

thanks guys

KurtR

WKR
If its me go on facebook market place and look lots of good used coats on there. It does not have to be camo as long as its earth tone. What are the temps you will be hunting at?

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Temps are from probably 50-10 degreesdepending on the month. it can be pretty warm in the fall but when it falls off we have been pretty frigid the past few winters. I will be some water hunting and probably more field and layout blind hunting.

some years it rains a lot, other years we cant buy a raindrop or a snowflake hahaha

I appreciate the response, I have been scoping marketplace, I just bought my first waders so as I said, I am brand new to this but excited.

Sitka is the way to go, they have deals throughout the year…blackovis, mountain-archery, rogers, etc can all be places to look

Dakota hoodie and vest are awesome. Hudson bibs and coat are bombproof.

I’ve owned almost everything in the Sitka waterfowl lineup over the years. Simply the best if you want to enjoy the hunt and not worry about whether or not your clothing kit will hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
First of all--when I worked at one if the big-3 box hunting/fishing stores gun counter. And we we had a new guy come in and say "I want to get into hunting [or fishin] , what do I need?" The guy would always be surprised when I'd say "Sir, guns are cool and all, but I recommend spending $$ on clothing. I csn certainly sell you an $1000 gun, but if your not comfortable, and your wet, cold, or miserable. You and your $1,000 gun are going to be in the truck.

So trust me, spend your $$ on clothes first. It's not as 'sexy' as the newest, hot shot firearm, but it'll keep you hunting longer and be more comfortable and enjoyable."

That being said....

+1 for Sitka Dakota.

Dakota Hoodie is my go-to for 90% of my waterfowl hunting in Southern WI. From downpours to nasty, heavy, wet snow to cold wins days, it's with me every hunt (unless its WARM).

Mountain Archery has it on sale for e $240 which is in your budget:

HOWEVER for the budget minded hunter, I also am impressed with Cabelas Northern Flight 3:1 Parka. It's $250 right now:
And it's a layering system that you can have a big parka with a zipped jacket that you can use on its own, or just the outer shell, or zip them together when the temp drops below 0°
Good camo pattern too. I have a "N. FLIGHT" jacket before Cabelas picked em up and it's been great. 15 yrs ago when my brother and I went to N. Dakota for the first time, I wore the outer shell and my bro wore the inner shell and we hunted in a freaking DOWNPOUR and we were both dry. Tho my brother had to wear his waterproof Beanie and hood on his hoodie cuz the inner shell doesn't have a hood. But he managed to stay dry!

The ONLY other recommendation I have is to check our Rogers clothing:

Often Banded or Drake runs 60-70% off sales through Rogers and along with Rogers personal "Work'n Mans" brand it's no frills clothing that just works at a budget minded price.

Often the $300 Banded stuff will be $100-120.

One yr for Christmas my mom got a Drake mid-weight jacket that I would put on par with the Dakota. My brother and dad still uses theirs and I still have mine at the ready.

Back in my college days, I still have a hodge-podge of Cabelas, Rogers and some knock off baselayers I used for years and it never let me down. I still have the stuff and will use it every now and then when my main stuff is at my brothers or my other hunting buddies and I got off work 2 hrs early for me to jump out to the pond for an evening sit. Even tho it's my "backup" stuff, it still works like a charm!

If ya can't/don't want the Sitka Dakota.

Go Cabelas N. Flight stuff or Rogers. Tons of stuff for $250. You can find A LOT of jacket/parka for even less than that.

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the detailed input. No votes for the fist lite yet which kind is surprises me. I will look into the cabelas system as well. I do have a banded jacket in my cart as well.

KHands17

FNG
They’re hard to find, but gamehide makes a good waterproof outer shell/jacket that would probably be good for what you’re looking for. Wear a decent hooded sweatshirt and a base layer underneath and you’ll be solid.

If you’re feeling adventurous you can look up under armour Skysweeper jacket, on ebay or posh mark or Etsy. That’s a jacket my dad got me when I was 17 years old that I still hunt with today. It’s been re waterproofed with revivex a couple of times but you can usually go find that jacket on ebay for sub $150.

You can also look for deals being ran by drake waterfowl throughout the year. The Equinox is a favorite but drake also makes this one which sounds like it suits your needs: https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/coll...oded-windproof-eqwader?variant=40428517228611

I would also highly suggest joining a waterfowl buy sell trade group in your area or perusing Facebook marketplace. You never know what sorts of things you can find on there.

Happy Hunting!

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Can I bother you all for opinions on these 3 options?

The first lite I can also get for 250.00 ish

Thanks for all replies and input

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Can I bother you all for opinions on these 3 options?

The first lite I can also get for 250.00 ish

Thanks for all replies and input

First Lite is relatively new to the waterfowl market. Needs a little more umph from Rinella and his MeatEater crew! 🤣🤣

I say that and have all FirstLite as my western clothing kit and I love it. But again that's my western kit. Not my waterfowl kit. Western kits are light and layered and for high mobility and warmth for weight ratios for breathability. Waterfowl you'll get warm setting decoys and that heat should carry you through the morning flight with your back to the wind. After that you get warm again picking up deeks and heading for the truck.

But I honestly think at the price of FL most guys stick with the tried and true Sitka, Banded, Drake and FL is just so new to the waterfowl industry that most people don't have it yet. Also, since they just began offering their clothing line to Sheels, it was direct-to-consumer. All things considered, just not enough of it in the hands of every day consumers for people to recommend.

I have the original FL Unc, it's not my most favorite piece, it's big, bulky and not really compactable like other down puffy. Which is why they redesigned it. I haven't seen the new one, but my 1.0 Unc is not waterproof.

Anything in the waterfowl blind MUST be waterproof and DURABLE. The best waterfowl hunting takes place in the worst conditions. Birds fly best when it's rainy, nasty, windy, snowing, sleeping etc. And therefore waterfowl gear takes a beating and it MUST hold up. If not, it's worthless.

Between those three. HANDS DOWN the Cabelas Northern Flight.

My dad, and a good budy both have that system. I have thr same thing before Cabelas bought it. It's something I highly recommend to guys not just for an entry jacket but a long term jacket too. It's a very well put together design and solid. Both inner jacket and shell are waterproof. So u can separate them and wear them as an individual piece or together when the temp drops. This is the exact jacket I recommend above.

The Avery..... the down puffy insert is not something I would recommend.....

Down looses its insulation when it gets wet And therefore worthless if soaked. Some down jackets are DWR treated for lite rain.

It's also a "wader" jacket that's am athletic/ trim cut at the waist. Some guys like it, others don't cuz it's pressed against your belly. I'm personally 50-50 on trim cuts. I have some that's trim. I hunt with guys that prefer bigger parkas/jackets so they can layer under it or just wear it as a shell.

If I didn't have my Sitka stuff I would have zero issues hunting with that Cabelas Northern Flight stuff. And I can say that because I have it and my dad, brother and I hunt waterfowl probably 60-80 days a yr. My dad hunts probably 30-40 and I've had my gear for 15+ yrs and my dad's 10+ years.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
The newest unc is like a rain jacket welded to a puffy. That’s why it has me intrigued so much. Look up some of the videos on it. But yes I understand what you’re saying. I hate bulky jackets anywhere so if I have to wear more layers I’m happy to do so. I appreciate your input

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
The newest unc is like a rain jacket welded to a puffy. That’s why it has me intrigued so much. Look up some of the videos on it. But yes I understand what you’re saying. I hate bulky jackets anywhere so if I have to wear more layers I’m happy to do so. I appreciate your input

Yeah, that's like the new Sitka Hudson.

Again, I didn't realize you had three jackets in your question. I only saw the two (FL and the Avery).

I rewrote my post in support of the Cabelas Northern Flight. I personally have that system as does my dad and a good buddy. It holds up and is legit. See my (now) full post above.

KurtR

WKR
Out of those the cabela northern flight would be my pick. The Sitka Dakota hoody is my favorite use every time I hunt . From early August goose till lates season January. Nothing more versatile.

Keep On

FNG
Another vote for the Dakota hoodie. If that's too pricey for you, look on Ebay for old school Cabelas (pre Bass Pro, Johnie Morris POS stuff) dry-plus waterfowl jackets. They were some of the best ever made.

UpTop

WKR
The northern flight stuff is not bad at all. I’ve been waterfowling for a very long time. There was a course of 15 or so years it’s all I cared about doing. I’ve hunted every condition imaginable. You do not need to buy a whole Sitka setup to be warm and comfortable. It’s not a bad idea to buy the best you can afford but it is not at all necessary. Some will try and have you believe you’ll freeze to death and be miserable if you don’t. Most of my gear is mid range priced and I can 100% say I have been more than sufficiently fine. Someone above mentioned the Gamehide waterfowl coat. It is a really good coat for the price if you can find one. Scheels usually has them out when waterfowl seasons get rolling.

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
so a bunch of you have mentioned the dakota hoodie. When I looked at this and thought of it as a mid layer. am I wrong about that? I am looking for basically the outer shell. I have lots of layering items now just dont have a waterproof outer shell that I think is trustworthy. I have quite a bit of western hunting type gear but nothing truly waterproof.
Thanks again.

Kuiu has rain jackets on sale
Also look for a used Sitka dew point or one on sale at Scheels

Not sure if you have a Scheels nearby, but my local Scheels had the FL LZ jacket on sale for $200 (50% off) in multiple sizes.

I personally haven’t used the LZ jacket, but I’d imagine the 4.5 layer system is similar to the FL Omen rain gear , which seems to get good reviews.