Water Bladder Refill Pump

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to refill my Camelbak bladder. I'm not looking for a filter, I just don't want to mess with taking the bladder out of the pack and just use the quick disconnects to pump water back in my bladder. I have been removing the bladder and dumping water in, but that is a pain if you have the pack loaded down and just want to add water at the end of the day.

I saw that Camelbak had a "Hydrolink Tactical pump" out on the market, but couldn't find it in stock or on their website. I have a Katadyn Pro filter and using that is quick and simple with the quick disconnects, I just don't need to filter the water all of the time.

Any ideas on pumps or is there something out there that I missed while searching?

OP
Huntmaster
Can't you remove the filter from your katadyn and just use the pump?

You know, that may be the easiest option... I've never tried pumping water without the filter in it...I'll check it out tonight!

Some times you need to be slapped in the face with something to see it clearly... Lol!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing you'd really need to concern yourself with is making sure the system is clean all the way through and there is no residual dirty water and muck.

OP
Huntmaster
Are you talking about cleaning the dirty water/muck out before I start using it as just a pump?

wapitibob

WKR
Not enough difference in time to bother taking the filter out. Put a quick disconnect on the bite valve and on the hiker pro and be done with it.

OP
Huntmaster
I add the Powerade Zero flavoring to my water, do you think that would take up the usable life of the filter if left in? Or maybe the filter would remove some of the flavoring?

Most of the time I have had good drinking water that we just put into 5 gallon jugs, so I just mixed it in bottles and then dumped them in the bladder. That's a pain and I figured I would just be using up good time on the filter so that's why I was thinking about a different pump. Thought never crossed my mind of taking filter out...

could use the Platypus gravity works. Pull of your bite valve and plug the gravity works into it and just let gravity do its work. I use the gravity works with the big zip and hoser and never have to take them out of my packs.

OP
Huntmaster
Gravity could be a good option as I'm not really time sensitive and I'm doing it in a truck camp so weight isn't an issue either. It's usually at night after the hike out and I have my bow strapped to the pack and pack is buttoned up. I can mix the drink up, hook up the gravity drain and then get started on dinner. It would stop when the bladder in my pack filled up as well.

Options all over...

OP
Huntmaster
I checked my Katadyn Pro filter and it's a one piece unit. I can't just take it out and use it as a pump. The screw in top is connected to the filter.

Does everyone take their bladder out to refill it?

OP
Huntmaster
I have the quick disconnect adapters, I need the pump to tranfer the liquid from a bottle directly into my bladder.

bbrown

WKR
Sorry - guess I am not understanding. Is your bladder "dirty" and you filter as you drink then? I run the sawyer inline with a platy 3L big zip and just dip to fill. Not sure how you would get around that or if it would be worth the effort. Maybe find a more accessible place to store the bladder in your pack.

When freezing is possible i use those quick disconnects with my pump to fill my other bladder. Much better than removing to fill when pumping.

wapitibob

WKR
Pop the end off the bite valve, snap the hiker pro to it, and pump the bladder full. No removal of the bladder.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Staff member
I checked my Katadyn Pro filter and it's a one piece unit. I can't just take it out and use it as a pump. The screw in top is connected to the filter.

Does everyone take their bladder out to refill it?
If you have an old filter I am sure it would be possible to modify it and remove the filter media and keep the casing. I have never actually used a katdyn so I am just brainstorming with you. You could also use another bladder and simply squeeze it through your drinking hose as suggested.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sorry but I can pull my bladder dip 3 liters and re install it in my pack with 3 liters WAY faster than digging out my pump...connecting it to the bladder and pumping 3 liters, but to each their own, just my experience after doing the dip as go vs the pump with bladder in the pack.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry but I can pull my bladder dip 3 liters and re install it in my pack with 3 liters WAY faster than digging out my pump...connecting it to the bladder and pumping 3 liters, but to each their own, just my experience after doing the dip as go vs the pump with bladder in the pack.
Agreed most of the time. Aren't you supposed be hunting?