Warmest down puffy

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m trying to find a down puffy that can keep me warm during extremely cold sits.

I spoke to someone at FL and they said that the chamberlain has 11 ounce of down insulation which is a lot. They couldn’t tell me what the fill power was though. I’m thinking it was probably of lesser quality like 5-600ish.

So far I’ve found:
the feathered friends Helios, which is 7.8 ounces of 900 FP goose down Helios Hooded Down Jacket Feathered Friends

The Montbell mirage with 5.3 ounces of 900 FP Mirage Parka | Montbell America

And the Montbell frost line which has 7.1 ounces of 800 FP goose down. Frost Line Parka Men's | Montbell America

Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these?

How cold do you think you can go in each individual jacket using a layering system.

Does anyone know how to compare the warmth by looking at their fill power? Especially the mirage vs frost line

Does anyone have suggestions for an even warmer jacket?

I already have a kelvin lite jacket, first lite uncompahgre that I use with the uncompahgre vest to add more warmth when it’s cold, and a kifaru LPP, so I have synethics covered.

Any help is appreciated!
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to someone at FL and they said that the chamberlain has 11 ounce of down insulation which is a lot. They couldn’t tell me what the fill power was though. I’m thinking it was probably of lesser quality like 5-600ish.

The Chamberlin is 800FP, it says it on their website.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the chamberlain was a down synthetic mix? I’m not sure how to interpret the description. It says a blend of down and 37.5 fibers. So is it actually 11oz of down plus the 37.5 or 11oz total and something like a 70/30 ratio? If so that’s still about 7oz of down which is definitely higher than most.
Men's Chamberlin Down Jacket

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
I have a feathered friend bag and love it its 20degree and has kept be toasty when creeks froze over. They could also do an overfill on it if you call them

mcseal2

WKR
I see you say you already have the synthetics covered so I'm guess you are looking to drop weight or decrease packed size with down.

I have the synthetics. For the coldest sits I layer the LPP over a Ucompaghre vest with a Sitka Mountain jacket over the top. The Sitka stops all the wind, the other two handle the insulation. I don't often use all that, but when trying to be motionless often lying on cold ground for December whitetail I want all I can get. If it's wet I throw my FL SEAK rain jacket over the whole mess. I don't want to put all that on until the last possible second, and don't want to walk anywhere without removing layers!

I keep thinking about adding a Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket, but I haven't been able to justify the cost. What I have works when I layer it. The Kuiu is only 5oz of down but it's the water resistant kind which I'd want. I'll have to check out the other brands people mentioned if I get the urge to buy. The Helios you mentioned looks really short in the pics. I'd definitely want plenty of length in an extreme cold weather jacket. The Kryptek Aquillo down jacket I had seemed cut to short and I sold it. I have a long torso though.

Poser

WKR
Ive had the FF Helios for 3 years. It’s as warm as I’d expect you’d need a puffy to be and I don’t believe I’ve ever been cold in it.

3b5e9af0e5c48e556e2d19889339d60a.jpg

This was an absolutely frigid Coues deer hunt during a “polar vortex” in AZ.

I own the Feathered Friends Helios Jacket. I did a lot of research on warm, thick, packable puffies before buying it. I cannot find a single fault in its design, construction and performance. Super light and hugely warm. It compresses small. DWR treated and it works very effectively, though I seldom would be wearing it in a rain or wet snow. It has superb clamshell handwarmer pockets. $240 or thereabouts and it's far more jacket than many costing $300 or more. I thought about the KUIU SD Pro but easily eliminated it based on down weight and $400 price. I did not care if my puffy was camo or not, and I can wear it for casual winter use if desired. Mine is a light charcoal gray. FF all the way for this guy.

Beendare

WKR
My take;
I would factor in your body size...and how you plan to use it.... on these- it makes a difference. What works for my body size might not work for you.

I've had a couple of these down jackets that I like...but the down jacket I like for around town is cut shorter than the ones with more coverage I like for hunting.

For example; Some of these down jackets are designed for skiers, etc. A 27" front zipper like some down jackets doesn't work for me [6'4"] on a hunt. A guy 5'9" is going to be totally different. The jackets I like for hunting have a longer length [30"or more]....a jacket rides up when sitting and glassing....if its cut too short it leaves you exposed.

I run pretty warm...and I layer...so I wouldn't want a big lofty puffy as most times I'm layering a windproof layer over it if I'm sitting...or glassing and its cold...as in the conditions I hunt its usually windy too.

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I see you say you already have the synthetics covered so I'm guess you are looking to drop weight or decrease packed size with down.

I have the synthetics. For the coldest sits I layer the LPP over a Ucompaghre vest with a Sitka Mountain jacket over the top. The Sitka stops all the wind, the other two handle the insulation. I don't often use all that, but when trying to be motionless often lying on cold ground for December whitetail I want all I can get. If it's wet I throw my FL SEAK rain jacket over the whole mess. I don't want to put all that on until the last possible second, and don't want to walk anywhere without removing layers!

I keep thinking about adding a Kuiu Superdown Pro jacket, but I haven't been able to justify the cost. What I have works when I layer it. The Kuiu is only 5oz of down but it's the water resistant kind which I'd want. I'll have to check out the other brands people mentioned if I get the urge to buy. The Helios you mentioned looks really short in the pics. I'd definitely want plenty of length in an extreme cold weather jacket. The Kryptek Aquillo down jacket I had seemed cut to short and I sold it. I have a long torso though.

That sounds like a great layering system. I have the seak jacket, LPP, and uncompahgre vest so it’s also perfectly feasible with what I have. Thanks!

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I own the Feathered Friends Helios Jacket. I did a lot of research on warm, thick, packable puffies before buying it. I cannot find a single fault in its design, construction and performance. Super light and hugely warm. It compresses small. DWR treated and it works very effectively, though I seldom would be wearing it in a rain or wet snow. It has superb clamshell handwarmer pockets. $240 or thereabouts and it's far more jacket than many costing $300 or more. I thought about the KUIU SD Pro but easily eliminated it based on down weight and $400 price. I did not care if my puffy was camo or not, and I can wear it for casual winter use if desired. Mine is a light charcoal gray. FF all the way for this guy.

I definitely considered the Helios but the cut seems really short. Is that the case? Also, where did you find it for $240? Their website says $360. Helios Hooded Down Jacket Feathered Friends

Cheapest down puffy I’ve seen that’s extremely warm is the Montbell frost line Frost Line Parka Men's | Montbell America

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had the FF Helios for 3 years. It’s as warm as I’d expect you’d need a puffy to be and I don’t believe I’ve ever been cold in it.

3b5e9af0e5c48e556e2d19889339d60a.jpg

This was an absolutely frigid Coues deer hunt during a “polar vortex” in AZ.

How is the cut? It looks like it’s really short and barely meets the waist line.

Also, what an amazing pic! I’m moving to Phoenix in about 2 weeks so it has even more meaning to me. What temperature have you experienced in AZ and for which hunts/areas. One of the coldest times I’ve ever been was on the rim. About 0 F with howling winds and snow. I think with wind chill it was around -20-30. But even thought it was frigid at night was still comfortable during the day.

I definitely considered the Helios but the cut seems really short. Is that the case? Also, where did you find it for $240? Their website says $360. Helios Hooded Down Jacket Feathered Friends

Sorry about the misquote on the price. I was thinking $340-ish and my fingers didn't follow my thoughts. My Helios is the straight jacket without a hood at $329. Anyway....I recall wanting a Super Down Pro and being very glad I ended with the Helios.

As far as being cut short in length....no....not the case for me. I'm exactly 6'-0" and find the length perfect for sitting. The website's images make the jacket look like it's a very short cut but mine drops onto my hips. I'm one of those who doesn't much care for a longer puffy or coat when sitting in a treestand or glassing from a ridge. I want my jacket to extend below the top of my pants, but not be longer than that. If I needed more length I'd go to a winter parka cut.

The Montbell Frost Line has box construction. Apples to apples it will be warmer and slightly heavier than one with sewn-through construction.

Poser

WKR
How is the cut? It looks like it’s really short and barely meets the waist line.

Also, what an amazing pic! I’m moving to Phoenix in about 2 weeks so it has even more meaning to me. What temperature have you experienced in AZ and for which hunts/areas. One of the coldest times I’ve ever been was on the rim. About 0 F with howling winds and snow. I think with wind chill it was around -20-30. But even thought it was frigid at night was still comfortable during the day.

I’m 6’0. I find the cut to be fine. It doesn’t really tend to ride up on me at all and it tends to seal snuggly right around my waist line.

This was out in the Tucson area. I couldn’t tell you the actual temp, but it was freakin’ COLD with sustained winds.

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’0. I find the cut to be fine. It doesn’t really tend to ride up on me at all and it tends to seal snuggly right around my waist line.

This was out in the Tucson area. I couldn’t tell you the actual temp, but it was freakin’ COLD with sustained winds.

Oh I believe it, it looks absolutely frigid. People tend to think AZ is all desert. They don’t realize that some areas can get crazy cold.

OP
R

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up buying the Montbell Frost Line and the Montbell Permafrost. I’ll return the one I like the least.

In case anyone else is interested, the Montbell permafrost in L size is on the Montbell clearance site. It’s priced at $360 there, MSRP being $460.

It’s got a 9 oz fill of 800 FP down, in a jacket that’s lined with GORE windstopper. It’s kind of like the warmth of the FL chamberlin with the windstopper lining like the Sitka Kelvin WS.

Also, I contacted 37.5 Cocona and they stated the FL Chamberlin puffy was a 80:20 ratio of down to ‘technical fiber’ to help it wick moisture. So the Montbell Permafrost is essentially a wind proof Chamberlin, but at 23.6 oz it’s slightly lighter. In the close out section of MB it can be had at the same price as the chamberlin.