Synthetic Puffy Jacket Options

NoLa

FNG
Wondering what my options are for a synthetic puffy jacket and any Pros/Cons that you experienced.

For cold hunts I like running lighter top layers with heavier gloves and when I stop I put on a heavy duty hooded down jacket. I'm headed to Kodiak with a group of friends for a boat based blacktail hunt and want to switch out the down for synthetic jacket.

So far on my list to look at is:
Sitka Kelvin Aerolite jacket
FL Uncompahgre 2.0 Puffy Jacket
Kifaru Lost Park Parka Full Zip
SG Cirque Jacket

Any others I should look at?

Thanks all

wnelson14

WKR
Kuiu Kenai, born primitive, but you can search for this, it’s been discussed endlessly on here.
Don’t rule out none hunting brands, fajllraven, mountain hardware, arcteryx, etc

My favorite is Sitka. A lot comes down to fit though and I honestly think function is pretty comparable Among the ones I have tried. Some are a bit better or warmer, but most get the job done. IMO I say buy a solid color. I tend to wear those more for non hunting stuff so I get more use from them.

I got a Columbia one from the outlet that works great for the money. Also Kuiu Kenai

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't recommend outdoor research. I have one and its warm but I put holes in that thing just looking at it.

Stugotz

FNG

I've had a Grumman LITE Down Jacket for many years now and it hasn't let me down. I've gotten it filthy while while out overnight camping in the mountains around Ogden UT. we were out last year for a total of 2 weeks in January 2022 and put our gear through quite the ringer. At the end of the day, it did what it said it would do, Take a beating, get wet and after drying kept us warm!​

nate907

FNG
Kuiu Kenai has treated me well. Plenty warm with pit zips when needed and super quiet. Lots of brush to push through up here.

Clarktar

WKR
Wondering what my options are for a synthetic puffy jacket and any Pros/Cons that you experienced.

For cold hunts I like running lighter top layers with heavier gloves and when I stop I put on a heavy duty hooded down jacket. I'm headed to Kodiak with a group of friends for a boat based blacktail hunt and want to switch out the down for synthetic jacket.

SG Cirque Jacket

Thanks all
Canis has one that I've been interested in. Arc'teryx and RAB also have some good options.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love my First Lite Uncompaghre. So comfortable and warm, plus seems pretty durable and packable

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I think how much warmth you need for a comparable synthetic replacement is a question that needs addressed in order to get meaningful feeback here. Any of those products can be fine - but they vary in how much warmth they provide.

How much fill/what is your down jacket? Off the cuff I would say the LPP or Cirque is probably going to be the warmest of those jackets - I run cold so I always want as much jacket as I can get late season. When it gets stupid cold later in the season I try and use a lighter active insualtion puffy as a mid layer and put a main insulating layer over that when stopped.

Nuther Sitka guy, the KUIU was sold after one hunt, much colder in it. The older synthetic Kelvins are my go to.

Kinda depends on use, I have a first lite cirrus, kuiu kenai and kifaru LPP. The LPP is the warmest of the 3 by a large margin, for cold weather glassing, it’s great.

The kuiu kenai breaths the best, it’s a great active insulation, and the only quiet one. It’s nice under rain gear

The cirrus is nice for spring bear, when the weather is nicer, but still chilly sitting up on a windy ridge glassing. It blocks wind better than the kenai, but doesn’t breath well

I like them all, but if I had to pick one, it would be the LPP, because it’s the warmest by far, and for late season glassing, it’s a great jacket, but it’s loud, and of course a little bulkier than down, but I’m not concerned about it getting wet, like i am with down

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
really (really) warm- Patagonia DAS
pretty darn warm- LPP; I say this as I have a custom Apex insulated jacket (sadly no longer an option) with the same weight insulation (3.6) and it's pretty darn warm. Mine is lighter, but not nearly as sturdy as the LPP

I have an Aerolite, it's less warm than my custom Apex jacket, but it's pretty close

Recondo

FNG

SG Cirque Jacket

Thanks all
You are on the right track. I was station in Alaska when I was in the Army. And a Synthetic puffy jacket is a nice choice for both warmth and ruggedness. The best puffy jacket I have interesting enough I bought a garage sale for 5 bucks. But this thing is amazing. It just has never let me down. Never been cold, never had a rip or tear even when sliding down mountain sides. Name brand is Aero A87-03

KU_Geo

WKR
Marmot featherless are pretty awesome for a synthetic option. Typical downside of synthetic (bulk, weight) but have proven way warmer than most other hunting synthetic puffies of the same Weight.

The more I wear my aerolite the more I love it. I ran in it the other day at 10 degrees. Fully sweating under it, it grabbed the moisture and moved it off me. Was comfortable the whole time. I have been wearing it every single day lately and I can't say enough good things about it. I had an inexpensive Amazon synthetic puffy (loved it too) but the aerolite is warmer and fits better. I will be getting an aerolite vest ASAP to wear under a shell or over a fleece for deer hunting. I have a eddie bauer cirrus lite down 650 puffy and I'd say the aerolite is 90 or 95% as warm as the eddie bauer, but breathes a better for me and has a better temp range.

The aerolite isn't the warmest puffy. If you want a big bad puffy you might not want that one. But it's served me well ice fishing as low as 0 degrees, with my striker bibs and as warm as 50

I have a sitka aerolite jacket in black that I wear almost every day. Great jacket, but warm it is not. I would not want to be stationary in it under 40 degrees. Its decent warmth for what it is as it's really thin.

I have a sitka aerolite jacket in black that I wear almost every day. Great jacket, but warm it is not. I would not want to be stationary in it under 40 degrees. Its decent warmth for what it is as it's really thin.
I am genuinely shocked at its warmth for how thin it is. I would agree that it's not the warmest, but I'm still impressed at it.