WANTED: Your Top 5 Base Camp Tips or Hacks

bsheisey

FNG
We have a group of 6 or 7 guys from PA in the process of planning a Colorado 2nd or 3rd rifle season hunt, and I'm hoping to glean as much information from this forum as I can before we make the trip. We've already found a good deal on a 16x20 Davis Tent on Craigslist, complete with the rain fly/awning, wood stove and three cots. We're also planning on having a 10x20 enclosed canopy for cooking or gear storage. We have a good amount of camping and hunting experience, but this will be our first DIY base camp style hunt, and the first western hunt for many of us.

I'm looking for everyone's top tips on base camp living, whether it be food, sleep systems, wall tent essentials, etc. Basically looking for any suggestions to improve our efficiency and enhance our experience for a late fall hunt in Colorado. Thanks for the help and good luck this season!

LaHunter

WKR
Mouse / rat poison, the small green blocks. Ear plugs with that many guys. When half back out, make sure that doesn’t derail the hunt for the rest of the group. Make sure y’all have multiple vehicles, since at least one guy (probably more) is gonna want to go home early. Stake / tie down the tent well, wind can get real bad. Set up a good shitter. Baby wipes can save a hunt (baboon ass). Don’t bother bringing a shower, bring Dude wipes instead.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Since you’re bringing a wood stove, I’d highly recommend bringing along another man over the age of 65. In the hours leading up to lights out, continue to feed him his favorite drink. Chances are after about 6-7 hours of sleep he’s going to need to pee and since he’s up-Go ahead and stoke the fire.

Wrench

WKR
Diesel heater. Keep all food and anything paper in a sealed plastic box. Bring rope to hang stuff from the ridge pole. Bring a propane powered peet boot dryer.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Mouse / rat poison, the small green blocks. Ear plugs with that many guys. When half back out, make sure that doesn’t derail the hunt for the rest of the group. Make sure y’all have multiple vehicles, since at least one guy (probably more) is gonna want to go home early. Stake / tie down the tent well, wind can get real bad. Set up a good shitter. Baby wipes can save a hunt (baboon ass). Don’t bother bringing a shower, bring Dude wipes instead.
We're all related, so that would make the family gatherings pretty awkward if anyone quits early haha. Our hunting styles might vary somewhat, but I haven't known anyone in the group to quit a hunt early, particularly one requiring the time and expense of a western trip.

Since you’re bringing a wood stove, I’d highly recommend bringing along another man over the age of 65. In the hours leading up to lights out, continue to feed him his favorite drink. Chances are after about 6-7 hours of sleep he’s going to need to pee and since he’s up-Go ahead and stoke the fire.
This is the type of advice I came here for 🤣. My dad and uncle better look out.

Sounds like mousetraps/poison is a popular recommendation. Keep 'em coming guys!

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
1. Mouse traps
2. Stake down the tent and secure things for way more wind/rain/snow than you anticipate. The preparation ahead of time beats getting up in the middle of the night to batten down the hatches because a storm rolled in.
3. Make sure everyone is on the same page about cooler/ice management. Nothing worse than one guy with a habit of not securely closing the cooler.
4. Ear plugs and Benadryl are the perfect cocktail for a good nights sleep.
5. Bring some wire coat hangers. Work great for hanging wet clothes from the tent poles to dry out. Can also be fashioned into all sorts of other things you might need in camp.

Crazy how eastern guys can always get massive groups of dudes to commit to an adventure 27 1/2 hours away and I live in smack dab in the west and my buddies are lame lol

Poop seat off Amazon.. the best thing
Have you been to the east coast? No wonder they all pile over to the west…

cnelk

WKR
Hangers & clothes pins

Reflective tape for tent ropes

Put a piece of reflective tape on the shitter or tree close to it.

Shovel

This is my dad’s job when we go. He hunts a lot but he’s up at night too lol

You guys coffee drinkers? When it’s cold and dark early in the morning I want my coffee NOW. We used to perc now we take a small quiet 2 stroken genny and use a regular coffee pot. Shoes for in the tent/living area like outdoor slippers.

Erict

WKR
A good friend is the most disorganized guy I know. Could loose a boot at camp. Kind of guy who has to stop to buy a blaze orange vest every trip because he forgets to pack it. Never crosses his mind that at midnight he's waking everyone with his headlamp at 100% brightness to take a pee. Kind of guy you can't get mad at, just shake your head and move on. Your group likely has one - get this guy straightened out before the trip.

- keep the tent walkway to the door and around the stove unobstructed at all times.
- shared camp items go back where you found them, in the condition you found them.
- everyone needs to pull their fair share of camp chores (cook, clean, water, wood, etc).
- "here is our outhouse area - don't go anywhere else".
- "this is my area of the tent, I spent years perfecting my organization system, don't mess with it."

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread, I'm prepping for similar next year in NM but a smaller group. Still great suggestions for 1 or 10 guys.

I actually started the gear prep this year by organizing my old gear from years past for a cow elk hunt in NM until my wife decided she wanted to go and take her parents.

Scotto

WKR
Coffee gets brewed before going to bed and put into a thermos. First morning cup is immediately ready. Another pot can be made in the morning, if needed, while getting ready.