Walk-in Dall Sheep List

sr80

WKR
Sounds like you learned a lot from this trip. I remember my first real backpack hunt which was also into the sheep mountains, it was tough mentally and physically. I felt as if I was in “survival mode” basically the whole time. Which was draining and not very enjoyable for the most part. I couldn’t wait for that plane to land and pick us up. But I was hooked! Now ten years later, I don’t wanna leave the mountains, and dread leaving, I secretly hope we don’t kill something early on in the trip so we can enjoy it longer!

I always make notes about trips, gear/ food choices in my phone from every big trip I do so I can look back and refresh my memory about what worked and didn’t.

As far as knee issues, @ColeyG nailed it in my
opinion, going down hill uses different leg muscles than going up, and hiking with weight on uneven terrain is going help the most, up and down. Some people like hauling water on their training hikes and then dumping it out at the top to “save their knees” on the way down but I don’t think that is going to help them at all, you need to strengthen all those stabilizing muscle etc.

OP
carsonkeys
Sounds like you learned a lot from this trip. I remember my first real backpack hunt which was also into the sheep mountains, it was tough mentally and physically. I felt as if I was in “survival mode” basically the whole time. Which was draining and not very enjoyable for the most part. I couldn’t wait for that plane to land and pick us up. But I was hooked! Now ten years later, I don’t wanna leave the mountains, and dread leaving, I secretly hope we don’t kill something early on in the trip so we can enjoy it longer!

I always make notes about trips, gear/ food choices in my phone from every big trip I do so I can look back and refresh my memory about what worked and didn’t.

As far as knee issues, @ColeyG nailed it in my
opinion, going down hill uses different leg muscles than going up, and hiking with weight on uneven terrain is going help the most, up and down. Some people like hauling water on their training hikes and then dumping it out at the top to “save their knees” on the way down but I don’t think that is going to help them at all, you need to strengthen all those stabilizing muscle etc.
Learned a lot and got hooked harder than I expected. Heading back out two weekends from now, and then have a late season area I can four-wheel into and need to check off before everything shuts down.

Hope you were able to make it out this year!

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Nice, thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like a great time and glad you enjoyed it. Reflection is quite valuable, and as you are doing that, I figure I will share my lessons on the things you are chewing over.

On tent's, I'm still happy with my dyneema Cimarron, we rode out 55ish mph (forcast on Windy Pro says 60 mph) winds in it this week. It held well. Three of the stupid plastic line locks for the stake cords broke, but that is fixed by using a taughtline hitch to tie the line directly to the loop and I well be cutting all those things off from now on. We bent stakes, but none pulled out (we stacked rocks on top of the stakes).

I still cannot convince myself to take the weight of a Hilleberg. If I ever get around to crossing the Harding I will get a red label and double poles though as a week of 120 mph winds sounds like a bad time.

Rain gear is tricky. I have long just embraced being wet, but the Kuiu Chugach rain pants worked well. Granted it was more a driving mist than hard rain and I was not busting brush, so I still have my doubts. I personally will not carry rubber rain gear.

I love my wind jacket, in my opinion they are too light and too versatile not to carry.

I've taken to using plain leather work gloves from Thee Bears most of the time. For wet conditions I coppied @B_Reynolds_AK and got some Showa 282_02 gloves.

Boots are pretty individual, in training (to include heavy mountain rucks) I have been using approach shoes and telling myself I will hunt in them; but so far for every longer trip I go back to the same La Sportiva mountaineering boots. I really appreciated them on my last hunt for the stiff sole and ability to edge on rocks or step on sharp points even with a heavy pack on. The approach shoes edge well until the pack starts getting north of 60 pounds, then the sole is not stiff enough to support it reliably. Try changing up socks and insoles to see it it helps with blisters too. With thick socks or two layers I have problems with the La Sportivas, but with a mid cushion wool sock they are great. Some of boots is how you personally move and approach terrain. I often go over or through things that my hunting partner will go around, sometimes around is probably smarter.

On food, I'm pretty sold on the approach advocated by @V2Pnutrition and in his podcast and the Hunt Backcountry podcast. I spent years not following it, but after trying it once, the difference in performance over multiple days was marked.

On training, some of it is just time building a base, but muscular endurance work helps a lot. Running is great for building a base, but like many before me have found, when I'm at my best as a runner, I sucfer more under a pack.

Take all that with a grain of salt, I'm still learning and adapting and my opinions will probably change with time. There is more than one way to get it done.

sr80

WKR
Learned a lot and got hooked harder than I expected. Heading back out two weekends from now, and then have a late season area I can four-wheel into and need to check off before everything shuts down.

Hope you were able to make it out this year!
We did and were successful (if killing something is what people deem as being successful) we dont!

sr80

WKR
I still haven't wrapped my head around the whole wind jacket thing. Specially on a backpack hunt, i know they were little to nothing, but my rain shell is in my pack already and if it is windy i can just throw that on with the pit zips open a tad. What does a wind jacket do that my M5 can't?

OP
carsonkeys
I still haven't wrapped my head around the whole wind jacket thing. Specially on a backpack hunt, i know they were little to nothing, but my rain shell is in my pack already and if it is windy i can just throw that on with the pit zips open a tad. What does a wind jacket do that my M5 can't?
That’s what I did this whole hunt and have done on all previous hunts. This hunt was windy all the damn time! I felt that I was beating on my rain gear unnecessarily and wasn’t taking advantage of more breathable fabrics and therefore was more sweaty than I would have been otherwise.

I think I’ll probably pick up the OR deviator hoody. It should take care of the midlayer and cut the wind enough to be bearable…in one layer, for roughly the same weight. I’ll test it out this winter hunting predators.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly. Nothing to wrap your head around as it’s not needed. I’ve seen some clients bring some stupid chit on trips but I’ve never seen a wind jacket haha.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I did this whole hunt and have done on all previous hunts. This hunt was windy all the damn time! I felt that I was beating on my rain gear unnecessarily and wasn’t taking advantage of more breathable fabrics and therefore was more sweaty than I would have been otherwise.
The majority of my sheep hunts have been walk in hunts. My setup is hike all the time in rain pants with full side zippers. it’s actually really nice hiking when it’s hot, zip down the sides and let it vent. No pants on under the rain pants, just underwear. I do not pack another pair of pants. Only situation I would is if I was bowhunting due to noise. I only put on the rain jacket if it’s wet and never have a layer on underneath. When the rain stops or it’s no longer wet I change back into my t shirt.

Keep it simple. People like to complicate things. I also like how quick the blood washed off from pants on this years sheep hunt. Came back home and wife was happy nothing bloody to wash. Another perk of the rain pants setup.

Gloves I prefer the cutless style for durability and dexterity. Of course in rainy southeast and kodiak hunts I use rubber gloves. Thanks @deadliestcatch @everyfirshermenoutthere @dockworkers @commonsense

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
If you are sitting still, nothing. If you are moving a lot and it is warm, quite a bit. I would go without a rain shell before I would leave a wind jacket in most environments.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
I can attest to the value of a wind jacket this year. I ran my rain jacket prior and albeit nice , was a little more bulky while on and I couldn't regulate my body temp as easily as I could with the wind shell. I left my jetstream in the tent and ran the ambient and windshell for 4 days. Didnt regret it for a second

sr80

WKR

I think I’ll probably pick up the OR deviator hoody. It should take care of the midlayer and cut the wind enough to be bearable…in one layer, for roughly the same weight. I’ll test it out this winter hunting predators.
i tried on the OR deviator hoody, its a nice piece and will likely grab one. Wish they offered it in the coyote color.

sr80

WKR
Is the only comparable piece in camo the Sitka ambient?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is kinda like the ambient, only kinda though. Its almost a mix of the ambient and the SG cirque lite jacket. It has OR's own spin on the alpha direct. I believe they call it vertical octa or something, also has a 20D outer material which might had a bit of weather resistance, and back panel is grid fleece. Fit is small, i wear a large in everything usually and the XL fit me good. Nice and light though at 11.5oz listed on the website.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Deviator, Ambient and others that utilize Alpha (or Alpha like) insulation are typically designed with breathability at the forefront, so using them as a wind layer probably is going to be a bit of a disappointment. They're great for what they're designed for, some warmth while on the move- wind protection not so much.

For a wind layer that has some breathability vs rain gear which has very little, I like the Black Diamond Alpine Start—nice balance of wind/precip protection (light precip) and breathability. It's also a little more durable (but a few ounces more) than the uber light wind layers like Patagonia's Houdini.

Sitka's Mountain Evo might be another one to consider, it has a breathable back panel (and under the arms) and utilizes Gore Windstopper which is very wind and precip resistant. There's a review floating around on the Evo on here.

OP
carsonkeys
The Deviator, Ambient and others that utilize Alpha (or Alpha like) insulation are typically designed with breathability at the forefront, so using them as a wind layer probably is going to be a bit of a disappointment. They're great for what they're designed for, some warmth while on the move- wind protection not so much.

For a wind layer that has some breathability vs rain gear which has very little, I like the Black Diamond Alpine Start—nice balance of wind/precip protection (light precip) and breathability. It's also a little more durable (but a few ounces more) than the uber light wind layers like Patagonia's Houdini.

Sitka's Mountain Evo might be another one to consider, it has a breathable back panel (and under the arms) and utilizes Gore Windstopper which is very wind and precip resistant. There's a review floating around on the Evo on here.
The man has spoken 😤

I should have clarified that I’m hoping the deviator’s nylon shell will block *just* enough wind to cut the chill. I know it won’t be as effective as a wind jacket, and that’s ok with me. I also like that there’s no insulation on the back, a nod to a cool design feature of the evo.

Speaking of, it looks like Sitka is phasing out the evo entirely.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I just use the military goretex shell and pants from the ECWS for rain gear on my backpack hunts. So far so good. I treat it yearly. Maybe heavy but very durable so far

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I just use the military goretex shell and pants from the ECWS for rain gear on my backpack hunts. So far so good. I treat it yearly. Maybe heavy but very durable so far
I have a 20ish year old one of those jackets that I use for manual labor and it has held up great and breaths well. Too heavy and bulky for me to carry in the mountains though.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20ish year old one of those jackets that I use for manual labor and it has held up great and breaths well. Too heavy and bulky for me to carry in the mountains though.
I saw your latest pack weight, ha ha 😉
But yes, heavy. I’ve toyed with the idea of something lighter but I keep upgrading other things instead and they just keep working.