Wait…what?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just imagine the mileage the media would have gotten if he had used one.

Aside from the media making the most of it in a negative light, having one would have made zero difference. I think there is a perception out there amongst the uninformed that a silencer eliminates the noise from the weapon being fired. In truth, they only reduce the noise by about 30 decibels. That would be an average. If you are shooting a high power rifle and normally wear ear protection, you would likely still need one with the silencer. Not a must but advised.

Reactions: EdP

jmez

WKR
The issue is that the media spun this with an anti-gun slant that only gun owners recognize as untruthful, despite every word spoken (in the Fox News report at least) having been factual. The way the media reported the event suggested that, if Robert Card had just lied on the federal form by checking "no" to the mental institution question, he could have walked out with a suppressor. The image created in the minds of those who don't know anything about the process to legally obtain a suppressor is far from the truth.

I have a hard time thinking that a gun store owner didn't explain more than what was reported. I have no problem believing the reported facts were cherry picked to create a wrong impression. It really makes one wonder what you have been fooled about (lied to) because you didn't have the background knowledge to recognize the lie.
If you have ever been interviewed by the media you wouldn't have to wonder how many things you have been fooled by. Amazes me how they can take bits and pieces of my words and put out a completely different connotation than what I said .

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
You may be having a hard time comprehending the point that the ATF calls them silencers, so everybody else does too. Silencer is literally the correct terminology whether you like it or not. I get it, it sounds evil and dangerous, but that's what they're called.

Not to mention my 22lr with subs is flat out silent, without sound, so there's that.

FWIW I also call them suppressors because it's more accurate. My point is it doesn't matter what people think is more accurate, they are what they are and it's already been defined and we can't just go changing the name because we think it fits better.

Alright, so the 22lr silencer is the first one to get banned when someone chooses to do something stupid with it.

Yoder

WKR
I'm pretty sure he knew clips and mags are different. It's been beat to death on every gun forum ever. If you explained the difference, you are "that guy". "Well, technically it's a suppressor not a silencer blah, blah..." Clips are used in rifles such as the M1 Garand..blah, blah..." EVERYONE KNOWS. Maybe you should look up sarcasm. 😃

The issue is that the media spun this with an anti-gun slant that only gun owners recognize as untruthful, despite every word spoken (in the Fox News report at least) having been factual. The way the media reported the event suggested that, if Robert Card had just lied on the federal form by checking "no" to the mental institution question, he could have walked out with a suppressor. The image created in the minds of those who don't know anything about the process to legally obtain a suppressor is far from the truth.

I have a hard time thinking that a gun store owner didn't explain more than what was reported. I have no problem believing the reported facts were cherry picked to create a wrong impression. It really makes one wonder what you have been fooled about (lied to) because you didn't have the background knowledge to recognize the lie.
Lots

KHNC

WKR
Yeah, why SIlencer Central and SilencerShop chose that terminology is beyond me. "Silencer" is misleading, IMO, to folks who aren't knowledgeable about them.
First of all , I agree with your sentiment. But, A Suppressor is also correctly a "Silencer". The word Silencer does not state "total silence". SOME of the decibels are in fact reduced, or "silenced". Suppressed is correct also , but neither use of this terminology is incorrect.

The background check waiting period is not insignificant (many months or more). One cannot simply walk into a gun store, fill out paperwork, get approved under the National Instant Background Check System, pay the store, and walk out with a suppressor.

I get all that. What I'm unclear of is where this dude was in the process. Did he submit to the background check? If so, did he pass? Was he not even submitted because of his answer on the form on being committed to a mental hospital? Had he lied, would he have passed?

EdP

WKR
Yeah, everything we see has intention behind it. It's all controlled. The older I get, the more I realize we're all misinformed and distracted intentionally.

Nothing new there. It goes back to the time of Samuel Clements "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." Probably nothing new then either.

EdP

WKR
I get all that. What I'm unclear of is where this dude was in the process. Did he submit to the background check? If so, did he pass? Was he not even submitted because of his answer on the form on being committed to a mental hospital? Had he lied, would he have passed
Given that a background check would have been performed, I don't think there was any way he would have passed.

tony

WKR
Story is dying off, (no disrespect), since the crazy white male shooter is dead.
Read an interview from one of the survivors, said the guy was using “exploding bullets”

Anybody see, a few days after this 18 people shot at a party in Chicago?
Didn't figure you did.

It's unfortunate for sure and I'm glad no one made the comment about the "silencer" not making a difference with regard to the hearing impaired. But damn, what do people think suppressors do? Too many James Bond watching folks with only two digits in their IQ.
You just did.

And thank you, because it's actually relevant when you consider the the implication by James Bond watching folks with only two digits in their IQ

Sure hope mine comes before the outright ban.

wapitibob

WKR
I get all that. What I'm unclear of is where this dude was in the process. Did he submit to the background check? If so, did he pass? Was he not even submitted because of his answer on the form on being committed to a mental hospital? Had he lied, would he have passed?

He could have previously petitioned to the Feds to get his 2nd Amendment rights restored. A lengthy and expensive process but if completed and the interviews passed, the feds give you a PIN similar to a concealed carry number. You enter the pin on the same form and with that pin, having been committed is a non issue. Lots of people were committed as part of a drug conviction back in the 60's and early 70's.

@MNGrouser, here is an article from 2022 that outlines Maine’s yellow flag law. Maine tried to strike a balance between preserving due process and protecting public safety when writing the law.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe protecting public safety is not the Constitutional objective of Government.

To use the popular phrase, "What part of 'shall not be infringed' is unclear?"

Laws like this are just feel-good attempts to appease those who fear freedom. How long before we're jailed for "pre-crimes'? It's pretty plain to the TV news following crowd that anyone with a scary black gun is just a terrorist in waiting. And these people are allowed to have silencers?! WE NEED MORE LAWS!!!!!