Wait…what?

They left out all the discussion of tax stamp, ATF wait times, ect….

Was the guy approved by the ATF/FBI and provided the tax stamp after waiting 200+ days, and then upon filling out the 4473 to take possession of the silencer answered the question such that he incriminated himself?

You can’t just walk into a store and buy a silencer. But yes, you can order a silencer and have it shipped to your FFL of choice to perform the transfer and hang out in lock up while you await your tax stamp.

I don’t recall if you fill out the 4473 when taking possession, or much earlier in the process. You fill out lots of paperwork, like getting a mortgage.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Genuine question.

What was left out?
The fact that you can't simply walk into a gun store and buy a silencer, the articles are purposely trying to make it seem like a silencer makes a gun mire dangerous. They are trying to make this gun shop guy a here for refusing to sell a silencer when thats not really what happened. The guy got rejected on his paperwork, the system worked but the media wants to spin it like it could have been worse if the guy had a silencer.

Yeah the article is not real clear on the timeline. Was he filling out his 4473 for the pickup after being approved by the ATF on his Form 4 or was he starting the paperwork to the ATF?

The way it reads to me his From 4 was approved and they caught him on his 4473 before releasing the suppressor to him.

The fact that you can't simply walk into a gun store and buy a silencer, the articles are purposely trying to make it seem like a silencer makes a gun mire dangerous. They are trying to make this gun shop guy a here for refusing to sell a silencer when thats not really what happened. The guy got rejected on his paperwork, the system worked but the media wants to spin it like it could have been worse if the guy had a silencer.
I've never tried to buy one from one of the websites...

But don't you order it and then fill out the paperwork? (gross simplification, but that's how media works)

They left out all the discussion of tax stamp, ATF wait times, ect….

Was the guy approved by the ATF/FBI and provided the tax stamp after waiting 200+ days, and then upon filling out the 4473 to take possession of the silencer answered the question such that he incriminated himself?

You can’t just walk into a store and buy a silencer. But yes, you can order a silencer and have it shipped to your FFL of choice to perform the transfer and hang out in lock up while you await your tax stamp.

I don’t recall if you fill out the 4473 when taking possession, or much earlier in the process. You fill out lots of paperwork, like getting a mortgage.
I just picked up a couple, did the 4473 before taking possession after the long wait.

Beendare

WKR
Seems to me the “Fact” that we have laws and procedures to keep weapons from mentally ill- but it didn’t happen Due to incompetent bureaucracy.

The guys family notified authorities…even telling them he had guns- they did nothing

The military had multiple cases of this guy saying he was going to shoot things up…he was committed to a mental hospital, etc- but no followup on taking his guns.

The Biden solution is to take guns from law abiding citizens- THAT will solve the problem- Not!

Right about the time the Democrats take all of our guns away we will have a huge uprising of all the illegal Hamas plants in the US that walked across the border due to another political policy fail on Border security and we will be left unarmed to defend ourselves. <face palm>

Yoder

WKR
Seems to me the “Fact” that we have laws and procedures to keep weapons from mentally ill- but it didn’t happen Due to incompetent bureaucracy.

The guys family notified authorities…even telling them he had guns- they did nothing

The military had multiple cases of this guy saying he was going to shoot things up…he was committed to a mental hospital, etc- but no followup on taking his guns.

The Biden solution is to take guns from law abiding citizens- THAT will solve the problem- Not!

Right about the time the Democrats take all of our guns away we will have a huge uprising of all the illegal Hamas plants in the US that walked across the border due to another political policy fail on Border security and we will be left unarmed to defend ourselves. <face palm>
I won't be unarmed. I guarantee it.

Sled

WKR

😬

It's unfortunate for sure and I'm glad no one made the comment about the "silencer" not making a difference with regard to the hearing impaired. But damn, what do people think suppressors do? Too many James Bond watching folks with only two digits in their IQ.

MattB

WKR
It would help if they got their terminology right, and called it a suppressor rather than a silencer, to start with.
Those words are synonyms, at least according to a leading retailer that exclusively deals in them.

EdP

WKR
The issue is that the media spun this with an anti-gun slant that only gun owners recognize as untruthful, despite every word spoken (in the Fox News report at least) having been factual. The way the media reported the event suggested that, if Robert Card had just lied on the federal form by checking "no" to the mental institution question, he could have walked out with a suppressor. The image created in the minds of those who don't know anything about the process to legally obtain a suppressor is far from the truth.

I have a hard time thinking that a gun store owner didn't explain more than what was reported. I have no problem believing the reported facts were cherry picked to create a wrong impression. It really makes one wonder what you have been fooled about (lied to) because you didn't have the background knowledge to recognize the lie.