Wading boot recommendation

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice on wading boots. I have always been a felt and studs guy, but they have drawbacks. Felt wears fast, is slippery off the stream, and studs can spook fish and make a boot slip on bare rock.
I’m heading to Mt for a couple weeks of fall fishing, and Chile in February for 10 days. Want a good quality all around boot.
G4 simms look good, but holy crap $499! The plastic cleats on a soft rubber sole may be good?
Has anyone made a decent non felt sole that doesn’t endanger your life in a river? I plan to fish inside Yellowstone, so non felt is theoretically required, although I have never been checked where I go.
Any good feedback is welcome. BTW, why is there no flyfishing sub forum here? Seems like most guys who hunt fish also.

CorbLand

WKR
My cousin is a fishing nut. Probably fishes 100 plus days a year. He loves his Korkers

Luked

WKR
I use the Orvis Free stone and like them.
Have had them quite a few years and still going strong.
Here in MO felt is not allowed due to transfering issues from one stream to another.

And for all of you Korker fans who enjoy wet wading in the summertime; these are new to their lineup. Only had them for last half of this summer but freaking love them! So comfortable and awesome to be able to change out the soles from rubber for hiking to water holes to felt for the drift boat.

Flyjunky

WKR
I’ll be the dissenting voice on korkers. We sell Simms and Korkers at the shop and while the Korkers are convenient they don’t last for sh*t.

All of our guides, one who was a Korkers ambassador, has gone back wearing Simms.

For durability at a lower price the freestones are hard to beat. The g3 is probably the best in terms of value, comfort, and durability. I haven’t spent enough time in the new G4’s to form an opinion yet.

The whole felt/invasive thing is pretty ridiculous. They never talk about your laces or gravel guards but they will hold the invasive species as well. In that regard, if you do go with Korkers don’t forget to take your soles off and wash the bottom of the boots because snails and moss will get between the sole and boot.

OP
S

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
For you Korkers guys, is there a non felt sole that is any good, or do all the non felt options still suck?

I’ll be the dissenting voice on korkers. We sell Simms and Korkers at the shop and while the Korkers are convenient they don’t last for sh*t.

All of our guides, one who was a Korkers ambassador, has gone back wearing Simms.

For durability at a lower price the freestones are hard to beat. The g3 is probably the best in terms of value, comfort, and durability. I haven’t spent enough time in the new G4’s to form an opinion yet.

The whole felt/invasive thing is pretty ridiculous. They never talk about your laces or gravel guards but they will hold the invasive species as well. In that regard, if you do go with Korkers don’t forget to take your soles off and wash the bottom of the boots because snails and moss will get between the sole and boot.
That is honest and true. I'm on my 2nd set of Korkers because they do wear out...eventually. I use them probably 30ish times per season and my first pair lasted my 4yrs I believe. Simms (especially their top end products) are made for guides who will use them 100s of times a year, which is why they are so expensive.

For me the Korkers lasted plenty long enough and I like the ratchet system also. YMMV

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
For you Korkers guys, is there a non felt sole that is any good, or do all the non felt options still suck?
Depends on the conditions you're wading in but the straight rubber is good for hiking and easy stuff but the studded rubber is great for tough, slick conditions.

Edit: In terms of grip it goes (best to worst)
1. studded felt
2. studded rubber
3. felt
4. rubber

Studded rubber isn't always better than just plain felt (round, smooth boulders felt is better than studded rubber)

I have the regular rubber and the rubber spiked...use the spiked ones most of the time in the trout waters...regular rubber is for surf fishing on the obx in spring and winter.

I am a simms homer. love everything they do. that being said Korkers have come a long way. the first couple generations of their removeable soles were absolute crap. the new ones are bullet proof. I fish big rivers out here throughout the winter and still believe nothing is better than studded felt but the new vibram soles.. still with studs (I will never give those up) are pretty damn good. all that being said, I still prefer my simms for those big rivers. they just last longer, take more of a beating and suport my ankles better

schmalzy

WKR
Patagucci river salt another worth checking out. I’ve only had for a season but like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Korkers. Easy sole change which gives you options depending on conditions and restrictions. Pretty decent on the trails for hiking in with the rubber soles.

Lots of love for Korkers, I hope they’ve improved since I owned them 8 years ago or so. I’d lose soles in mud regularly and then they were flat out dangerous. I’m guessing the interchangeable soles are more resilient now. Simms for me.

hiker270

WKR
Simms Guide boots have been the best for me. Felt with carbide studs for slippery rocks in Montana.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
As was said above. Simms G3 - comfortable, durable and a good value.

Sunset606

FNG
One thing I have learned about wading boots, you really do get what you pay for. I have bought and used Frogg Toggs, Korkers, Chotas and Simms. All but the Simms only lasted a year, two at the most. The Frogg Toggs lasted 2 months before coming apart.
Buy the best you can and you will be money ahead in the end. Buying $100 boots every 1-2 years will cost you more in the long run than a good pair of $200-$250 pair of boots every 4 years. Also, when the boots **** out is only when you’re back in the boonies fishing making the day or the trip all that much worse. Been there, done that..

Night_owl

FNG
Another for Korkers. I will say no matter what brand you end up with that the material on top of the boot, the instep ect is a big reason why wading boots wear out. The lighter more stylish boots with cloth incorporated into them seem to wear unreasonably fast.