HANWAG TRAPPER TOP GTX feedback

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to provide some feedback feedback on the Hanwag Trapper Tops.

Had these boots for about 18 months now and no issues with fit. Did several hunts with them, no stretch, still very comfortable. Did a 15km weighted training hike up a local mtn a week ago in snotty wet weather and my feet felt really good and were dry when the boots came off.

They are great in snow, mud, skree. BUT>>>>>The soles on the trapper tops are crap on wet rock. I don't mean a little bit, but unacceptably crappy. I have taken several tumbles as a result(most recently on my big hike a week ago) and it's just a matter of time before injure myself. I'm all for managing risk as I solohunt the majority of the time but the way I hunt I simply cannot avoid traversing wet rock no matter where I hunt so this just isn't acceptable.

I contacted Hanwag and they say the soles when unused for a period of time can get hard and recommends lightly sanding the sole to add more traction on hard wet surfaces like rocks. I honestly questioned this but gave it a go. As i suspected, no difference.

The Alaska GTX sole in comparison is very good in all terrain and is extremely durable (had them resoled twice in 10+ years of extremely hard use). I just found them way too cold in mid-late season hunts and my feet froze while glassing.

I called the cobbler in VANCOUVER who are recommended by Hanwag (who resoled my old Alaskas), they informed me the sole on the Trapper Top is infact a different (much harder) sole than the the Alaskan sole and will be more slippery. Hanwag Alaskans are Vibram Foura soles (they beleive that the Trapper boots have Vibram 1012 soles that are significantly harder.)

Cobbler said no issues re-soleing trapper tops with the Alaska GTX soles. Should make a perfect mid-late season boot for any terrian.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share this incase anyone is considering the trapper tops.

Last edited:

uncastan

FNG
Thanks for this. I ordered the tatra top and was considering the trappers for a late season boot.

Wolfy180

FNG
Do you remember the name of the cobbler in Vancouver? I’m having the same issue with my trapper tops

OP
Ron.C

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Steve,

Yes, was expensive ($200 ish) with shipping. In my case, was either a re-sole or buy another boot.

Anyhow, have had a season with the new soles. Night and day difference.