Vote for who makes the best pack?

Who makes the best pack?

• Total voters

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t tried them all. I’m going to agree with Robby and say that the two I currently own are my personal favorite so far, maybe not “best”, which are initial ascent 6k and a stone glacier evo 40/56. I’ve previously owned kifaru duplex hunter 24” and duplex lite 26”. I’ve also tried kuiu, and SG xcurve. I’ve had the SG evo for a while now and love that pack. I’ve done multiple hunts, packed a few animals and also love it for just regular backpacking because of the size and weight. I tired the IA at a show and was sold after trying it on and love the layout of the main bag and how it goes into day mode. My experience so far with it is only pack training with heavy loads so far as I only got it this year but will be taking it out for spring bear. If you haven’t tried one of them with a heavy load they are impressive. I will say I still want to try an exo just to see how they compare. I also really liked the kifaru packs and the new bag layouts look awesome. Might get another duplex lite sometime in 24” but we’ll see. Customer service with all those companies has been amazing.

Last edited:

TJCHunts

FNG
As per my Vote I have owned all the big brands like SG, Exo, MR, Kuiu, and Badlands and had a lot of likes/dislikes with most all of them. I would say I was pretty dedicated to Mystery Ranch and Kuiu for quite sometime until Feb of 2019 when I purchased the new I4k from Initial Ascent at the Western Hunt Expo. I had a busy year last year with hunts and have packed some of the heaviest loads on my back to date between a full spring of bear baiting and a fall filled Elk and Mule deer hunts. The build of their pack system for me has by far been the most comfortable hauler. I ran all season with my pack in Day mode which means I only ran the Pannier and pillow top. For my style of hunting which is spot and stalk covering a lot of ground each day I prefer to run light. Running in day mode allows me to always be ready to haul out as much as I can handle the first trip instead of having to head out for a different pack to haul meat. Thus far I have hauled out several whole Mule Deer quartered in one trip with all edible portions in my pack. 3/4 of a quartered cow elk in one trip. Sure there are some of you that are built to pack more then me and are way tougher but for me its way nice to have a pack that will haul all I can handle comfortably. I will continue to use and abuse my Initial Ascent pack for many more years. I'm proud to know that my pack is proudly made in Idaho by other hunters who share the same passion as my self. Good luck to all of you!IMG_4627 (2).jpgIMG_0010.JPGIMG_5822 (2).jpgIMG_2793(1).jpg

Went from Badlands, to Eberlestock, to a used Kifaru, was having trouble with the shoulder straps. I bought new straps without knowing what frame I had and I couldn't make it work. Humbly emailed Kifaru knowing I was on my own with it being secondhand. Email was returned the next morning with Frank from Kifaru asking for pictures, long story short old frame no new shoulder straps. Frank says would you be willing to send that frame in for half off a new frame. I told all my hunting buddies Kifaru is the real deal.

Exo for me but few buddies wear kifaru and they’re great packs too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BigCountry344
Thanks to everyone that voted! The results were not what I thought they’d be! This doesn’t mean one is better than the other to each is ones own!

OP
BigCountry344
after trying some new packs this year I definitely would put my vote towards another

mcseal2

WKR
I have at least a little experience with 5 from the list, a lot of experience with 2. I voted Kifaru. For really heavy loads their hip belt is the best for me. I voted for it because its my favorite for really tough jobs, not because its my favorite for the other 90% of what I do. Its capable of all I can handle weight wise and still works fine for day hunts.

I really like my Exo and hunt with it much more than the Kifaru. The lateral flex of the pack makes it move with me navigating a bunch of down timber in a burn for example. The simple but effective bags are also great. I just got home from AK last month and packed 3 caribou with it, it packs 80lb loads well too, just not as well as the Kifaru. I can’t transfer weight off my shoulders as well with my K2 hip belt. I saw I can get a K3 belt for my K2 so I ordered one but have not used it yet.

The Exo usually gets hunted with, the Kifaru hauls meat after the first load in the Exo.

Are the Kifaru fanboys really a thing or are they just that good?

You’ll have to buy one to find out. Personally I will never buy another brand and doubt I’ll even have to buy another pack. I have a DT 1 that I’ve had since 2013 and will likely last for the rest of my hunting life if I choose. However I bought a Hoodlum pack last spring and this will be my new go to pack.

It was funny. A couple weeks ago I took them both for my buddy’s muzzloader elk hunt. I used my DT1 and let my buddy use my new Hoodlum. My other 2 buddy’s had badlands packs. We call in a satellite bull and Jimmy kills him. The 2 brothers Jimmy and Harold have the BL’s packs. Clarence and I each dropped a hind quarter and misc meat and back straps in the Kifaru packs and cinch shut and on the way. The 2 brothers struggle to load the front shoulders and really struggled on their way out with all that weight baring down on their shoulders. These Kifaru’s are bomb proof and carry a load like no other.

Kifaru? Get ready. The 2 brothers vowed to retire those BL’s packs and spend the money on 2 new Kifaru packs before next elk season 🏹🏹🏹

I Like my Kifaru and the frame is a good fit and solid. Bag on Duplex is a Reckoning. Also got the 14'er for easy day hunts after antelope or whitetails. Best use of this bag is flying as its my carry on too

When going light after medium game I wear a SG with 3300 bag. This is my new go to. Not as burly as Kifaru but that weight difference on a older back is noticeable. Well made and easiest on body. Only down side is lack of pockets etch, but you build it the way you need it.

I actually voted for old faithful, MR Crew Cab on the nice frame. Was made in USA, and the thing is as bomber as it gets. It just packs heavy loads great and is build like a brick shithouse. Heavy yes, but when heavy crap needs to be hauled its the go to. Pack is more limiting on body flexibility
I will only buy a pack made in the USA. So any new MR bags are out of the deal for me. My 2cents.

jacob95

FNG
I like my SG a lot. I do want to try a Kifaru Reckoning and an EXO K3 6400 though.

MattB

WKR
I don't think there is a "best", just a best for you. My preference is Kifaru based on the hip belt alone, but there are also a lot of other things to like.

I started running Kifaru packs when the color options were black or black if that gives some perspective.

Andreyl15

FNG
I have the initial ascent 2k and I think its the most comfortable pack especially with heavy loads, I tried on the sg, exo, eberlestock, those just don't handle the heavier weight like the initial ascent, it's like a Cadillac comfy and bomb proof

TSF

FNG
I have the initial ascent 2k and I think its the most comfortable pack especially with heavy loads, I tried on the sg, exo, eberlestock, those just don't handle the heavier weight like the initial ascent, it's like a Cadillac comfy and bomb proof
I have lots of money wrapped up in Kifaru love them but I am very interested in IA