Vote for who has the best pack in 2023.

Vote for who has the best pack in 2023 over 4k CI.

• Kifaru

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 119 47.4%
  • Initial Ascent

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • Akek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Sitka

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Badlands

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
K4 has horizontal compression straps for securing a load to the frame, which is then sandwiched between the frame and bag. It’s a functional, but per se, there is no load shelf on the bag. I did not buy the crib.

I can and have set my Kifaru DL up the same way. But I have Kifaru bags that have an actual load shelf.

Haven’t owned Stone Glacier, but the frames have a true load shelf built in.

Seek Outside includes a detachable load shelf. It’s a great setup because there is vertical adjustment to adjust the center of gravity.

Even the MR Popup series has a an actual load shelf.

K4 does not. Call it semantics, but when highlighting a load shelf as a feature, there is no true shelf under the load. What makes their load hauling system nice is it’s easy to access.
have you packed out with yours?

bottom straps of the pack attach to the frame making a load self. Pretty cut and dry. If you want it higher add a G clip to 1” webbing.

when clinched down there is only a 1/2”x 4” space at best between bag and frame at the bottom.

Under load its works fine. Crib only attaches two inches higher. no point in running the crib with the bag. Zero

Ive had no issue with pack outs with the K2-K4 bag or crib only

Last edited:

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
have you packed out with yours?

bottom straps of the pack attach to the frame making a load self. Pretty cut and dry. If you want it higher add a clip to webbing.

when clinched down there is only a 1/2”x 4” space at best between bag and frame at the bottom.

Under load its works fine. Crib only attaches two inches higher. no point in running the crib with the bag. Zero

Ive had no issue with pack outs with the K2-K4 bag or crib only

Lol, I know how it works. Have it, used it.

Perhaps it’s too semantic a statement for you. But I think it’s worth noting the differences in a topic about various packs.

If you want to consider the bag-frame connection a shelf, then credit other packs as offering load shelves.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a possibility! There is no way you could vote for Kuiu, if you’ve used any of the other 3 packs currently at the top. I have tons of Kuiu gear, but that pack is a piece of junk.

I have used the 3 at the top, and exo fit my needs the best. But I would not be disappointed in using any of them honestly. They’re all good. I just think exo is gooder 🙌🏼
My piece of junk Kuiu packed out a bison… must’ve had a defective one.

These polls aren’t worth much. Different folks will swear up and down against brands they've never tried, or hand fondled at an outdoors show and decided against.

I liked my MR metcalf before I sold it to get a Marshall on a newer frame, and couldn’t stand that new pack! Doesn’t mean I’ll rail against MR the rest of time, it just didn’t fit my body type apparently.

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 45

huntnful

WKR
My piece of junk Kuiu packed out a bison… must’ve had a defective one.

These polls aren’t worth much. Different folks will swear up and down against brands they've never tried, or hand fondled at an outdoors show and decided against.

I liked my MR metcalf before I sold it to get a Marshall on a newer frame, and couldn’t stand that new pack! Doesn’t mean I’ll rail against MR the rest of time, it just didn’t fit my body type apparently.
Very nice! That’s a hell of a load!!

You’re right, I should not have called it a piece of junk. It can definitely do the job.

Lol, I know how it works. Have it, used it.

Perhaps it’s too semantic a statement for you. But I think it’s worth noting the differences in a topic about various packs.

If you want to consider the bag-frame connection a shelf, then credit other packs as offering load shelves.
lol. so if it had a 1/2” x 4” piece of fabric you would call it a load self.. I consider the reinforcement of the bottom clip points on the bag a self.

New flash with big loads the crib operates the exact same way as it can have 1/2 x4 gap at the bottom also. I had to loosen bottom attachment straps to same point bag attaches, so “ the self” was only two straps…. no load self I guess IMG_4063.jpeg

huntnful

WKR
lol. so if it had a 1/2” x 4” piece of fabric you would call it a load self.. I consider the reinforcement of the bottom clip points on the bag a self.

New flash with big loads the crib operates the exact same way as it can have 1/2 x4 gap at the bottom also. I had to loosen bottom attachment straps to same point bag attaches, so “ the self” was only two straps…. no load self I guess View attachment 672034
That thing is busting at the seams! Looks heavy!!

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
who has $5k to compare all 10?
Ummm....

I spent more that that on them so far. Granted, the majority of that money I recouped when I would sell one and buy another. Thats why I tried to give direct comparison info where I could. But it is doable, especially if you are annoyed enough.

Ummm....

I spent more that that on them so far. Granted, the majority of that money I recouped when I would sell one and buy another. Thats why I tried to give direct comparison info where I could. But it is doable, especially if you are annoyed enough.

point was, Vast majority will vote via what they have, vs I wore all ten current models with equal loads and this is….

If you loose $100 per pack, thats still $1000 towards another hunt etc.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
point was, Vast majority will vote via what they have, vs I wore all ten current models with equal loads and this is….

If you loose $100 per pack, thats still $1000 towards another hunt etc.
Agree totally on this. Just passing along my saga to try and save someone else the same pain

plebe

Lil-Rokslider

New flash with big loads the crib operates the exact same way as it can have 1/2 x4 gap at the bottom also. I had to loosen bottom attachment straps to same point bag attaches, so “ the self” was only two straps…. no load self I guess View attachment 672034

I suppose there isn’t an industry standard for the terminology. Kuiu calls their webbing based system a load sling. Kifaru’s 4300 indicates no load shelf, but you can still run a load between the bag and frame.

Tomato tomato I guess. Point of differentiation for me is that other packs can run a load down to the bag-frame connection in the sandwich configuration like the K4, and as well have a separate load shelf.

F15C4083-D736-435B-9502-36FA5E1D5F60.jpeg7F4BBD15-169F-4017-B118-3CCDB77BB537.jpeg

I suppose there isn’t an industry standard for the terminology. Kuiu calls their webbing based system a load sling. Kifaru’s 4300 indicates no load shelf, but you can still run a load between the bag and frame.

Tomato tomato I guess. Point of differentiation for me is that other packs can run a load down to the bag-frame connection in the sandwich configuration like the K4, and as well have a separate load shelf.

View attachment 672072View attachment 672073
SG made the shelf part of the frame not the bag, MR made the shelf part of the bag and reinforced it on the bag. EXO reinforced the bottom bag chinch to double as meat self, as they like more of a “V” vs U

All accomplish same purpose, all three where designed to hold a load securely between bag and frame., thus using a shelf.

huntnful

WKR
SG made the shelf part of the frame not the bag, MR made the shelf part of the bag and reinforced it on the bag. EXO reinforced the bottom bag chinch to double as meat self, as they like more of a “V” vs U

All accomplish same purpose, all three where designed to hold a load securely between bag and frame., thus using a shelf.
This is how I view it as well. They all have load shelves. No need to get all specific and attach some notion of personal belief and definition to it.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
This is how I view it as well. They all have load shelves. No need to get all specific and attach some notion of personal belief and definition to it.

It’s not that mystical. They do offer different functionality.

StevenMn

FNG
Stone Glacier 5900 sky is my go to for packing out a animal and a badlands super day for when i feel like hunting with a smaller pack.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider

They do it differently, so it’s different imo. Several designs elevate the load above the bottom of the frame/bag and provide underneath support against downward slippage.

With the K4 system, some elevation is accomplished by fully drawing in the bottom strapping on a K4 bag and then using the wedge technique.

huntnful

WKR
They do it differently, so it’s different imo. Several designs elevate the load above the bottom of the frame/bag and provide underneath support against downward slippage.

With the K4 system, some elevation is accomplished by fully drawing in the bottom strapping on a K4 bag and then using the wedge technique.
So what do you prefer it to be called? The creators of the pack themselves call it a “load shelf”. So that’s what I called it, and apparently that was wrong in your opinion. What do you name their system of how the meat is held?

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
So what do you prefer it to be called? The creators of the pack themselves call it a “load shelf”. So that’s what I called it, and apparently that was wrong in your opinion. What do you name their system of how the meat is held?

I think the main thing is people explore the different designs and options and decide what’s best for themselves.

The comment that set this all off made it seem like a load shelf was something special about EXO, when the EXO approach is really quite basic.

I think the main thing is people explore the different designs and options and decide what’s best for themselves.

The comment that set this all off made it seem like a load shelf was something special about EXO, when the EXO approach is really quite basic.
you mean effective w/ minimal weight