Vortex vs kowa

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I’m going with the Kowa. Thanks everyone, I think…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
Which model vortex did you have?

I had a viper 65. The higher the magnification the less usable it got where as the kowa really doesn't loose much even at its full power. Also would say edge to edge clarity is a lot better with the kowa.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa makes a great spotter.

Vortex UHD binos are, as Matt and others here have stated after reviews, are excellent. Much better than many would admit on this forum. But the spotters are just okay. They’re decent (and I know a few professional guides who use Vortex Razor spotters exclusively - and put animals in the truck for clients) but not great. For great you need Swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa, Meopta and a handful of smaller makers. The glass and coatings are really better. In this example, if you want great - get the Kowa and take steps to protect your investment.

Just one man’s humble opinion.

Last edited:
OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
Just switched from the rzr 65 to the kowa 773. No regrets and a big difference in quality.

Was the rzr good enough? I have the 773 on the way but I cant help but feel that $800 is a lot

Was the rzr good enough? I have the 773 on the way but I cant help but feel that $800 is a lot

The only time a quality optic sucks is the first credit card statement. The same cannot be said for a crappy optic.

Folks worry too much about the cost of an optic and straight up ignore the potential savings it can provide. Folks also tend place zero value on their time especially in the field. Makes so sense to me but we’re all unique and theoretically allowed to make our own choices.

Crap optics means more wear and tear on your boots and clothing. Crap optics means more wear and tear on your body; that gets expensive over time. Crap optics means wasting time looking for game; you miss out on the animals in front of you (but can’t see) so you meander off looking for game (busting game as you go).

Crap optics makes life crappy.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
The only time a quality optic sucks is the first credit card statement. The same cannot be said for a crappy optic.

Folks worry too much about the cost of an optic and straight up ignore the potential savings it can provide. Folks also tend place zero value on their time especially in the field. Makes so sense to me but we’re all unique and theoretically allowed to make our own choices.

Crap optics means more wear and tear on your boots and clothing. Crap optics means more wear and tear on your body; that gets expensive over time. Crap optics means wasting time looking for game; you miss out on the animals in front of you (but can’t see) so you meander off looking for game (busting game as you go).

Crap optics makes life crappy.

I understand that, but is the razor 65 crap? I appreciate your knowledge

Depends on what good enough was. It was really clear and crisp on the lower powers in good daylight. Max magnification was hard to look through and my eyes would get tired looking through the scope in general for extended period of times. You could definitely get by with it if you were just using it to judge something really quick and didn't use the higher powers often. The Kowa is amazing though. Max power is clear and my eyes don't get tired looking through. If 800 is hurting the bank go vortex but kowa 773 is comparable to the swarm atx 85 which is around 4k. You are buying way more then 800 dollars in quality in my opinion.

I understand that, but is the razor 65 crap? I appreciate your knowledge

It’s all relative and up to the individual and where and how they hunt.

For me, the old version of the Razor is a decent entry level spotting scope in today’s environment. But there are other options. Look at the Athlon Ares; less expensive than the old Razor yet beats the new Razor optically.

Shop around and you can get a great deal (ex: Optics Planet recent price on the 77x) on a new spotter. In the long run it usually is cheaper to buy quality (not necessarily true alpha) the first time rather than doing incremental upgrades and selling at a loss along the way. So you’re pretty much throwing money down the toilet (had to find a way to tie in the “crappy” theme).

At the end of the day, folks will buy what they want and justify it however they want.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How durable do you think it is? It comes with the stay on fitted case but Im like to use and abuse my gear.

How the heck do you "use and abuse" optics? Are you saying you have a hard time holding on to optics? Drop them a lot? Knock them off tripods? That isn't use and abuse, that's operator error. Looking through optics doesn't wear them out.

sneaky

"DADDY"

I get the feeling that no matter what everyone tells you you want the Vortex. It'll end up costing you more in the long run. Find someone with that Razor and put it side by side with that 773 and compare. You'll see why the unanimous consensus was to go with the Kowa. And, yes, I have a 773.

OP
Dbevans

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
How the heck do you "use and abuse" optics? Are you saying you have a hard time holding on to optics? Drop them a lot? Knock them off tripods? That isn't use and abuse, that's operator error. Looking through optics doesn't wear them out.

Where I live things inevitably get banged around whether its on a four wheeler, boat, or a snow machine. I go out enough things fall or get blown over.

I was pretty intrigued with the razor but that’s because I’m not sure I need alpha sure it’ll be nice but my dad has gotten 40 bull moose with his quote “ $150 binos from new store”

Where I live things inevitably get banged around whether its on a four wheeler, boat, or a snow machine. I go out enough things fall or get blown over.

I was pretty intrigued with the razor but that’s because I’m not sure I need alpha sure it’ll be nice but my dad has gotten 40 bull moose with his quote “ $150 binos from new store”

Pretty defensive so just buy what you want to buy and go hunt.

I would take the Kowa 66 over the razor also. Might be a good middle ground for you. I liked it over my razor 85 even in low light.

I also compared it to my buddy's brand new razor 65 spotter (the 2nd gen one) a while back. We were looking across a big field at the back deck of a house in lower light. With the razor you could see an orange bottle of some sort sitting on a table. With the kowa I could see it was a 2 liter bottle of orange sunkist. Yes, it's worth it if you actually like to look at animals.