Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50mm Q&A

.Hunting should have a certain element of nostalgia and classical tradition to me, the tactical element tarnishes that image in my mind. Hunting isn’t war. I’d like the two to remain fully separated.

BuckHorn and the 94 or GTFO

Wrong Thread Ur Looking to Comment on

Jus'Saying...

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Sure wish we could get SWFA to make a hunting line with the same standards. More SFP and simple reticle options. Heck, even their website makes no bones about it. There’s some special forces sniper looking dude plastered all over and virtually every scope has “tactical” in the name. Where’s the stuff for the dude in hunter orange and an elk across the canyon?
Why care? It's a tool to do a job not a fashion accessory.

Edit: I do like nostalgia. I'd love a Savage 99 and classic scope combo that does what my Tikka/SWFA does. Hell, check out my username.

Still, I ain't got a ton of money and too many hobbies to spend it on. Just give me something that I can rely on.

Last edited:

freddyG

WKR
The ”Influencers” will get a hold of this info and start shitting all over the test results and get their gaggle of girls to cancel this stuff. Frank (SH) took down his test info after some companies got their panties in a bunch and the “Influencers” and their gang went after them. I think Frank didn’t want to lose money was what it came down to.

Hold strong @Ryan Avery they’ll be coming for ya.
Which test was this? I can’t seem to find any info anywhere.

260madman

WKR
I think you’re missing the point. There is real censorship on these forums, and the owners have followed the money in some other instances. I echo what 260madman said - I hope this can remain an objective place.
I’m sure it will be objective. The masses will throw a fit because their favorite failed. They sell more scopes so more will fail but percentage wise blah blah blah.

Too many people don’t shoot and treat their guns like a glass vase. How many times have you heard someone scream about a scratch on their barrel or chassis? Safe queens are the norm not the exception.

260madman

WKR
Which test was this? I can’t seem to find any info anywhere.
The one they do for their classes on day 1. Should be in the optics forum. He’s going to keep it private from now on.

The loaner scopes they use for the classes are SWFA, Athlon Cronus and possibly a NF. Why? Because they all work like they’re supposed to.

Frank used to drop test scopes and crank the hell out of them and post results.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
How long before a hotlink or new thread is posted on sniperhide? I considered it but I don’t have enough history to post it without it being seen as a pop shot.

Side note I just ordered the 3-15 LHT. It want it to be the perfect scope, but if it cannot perform it’s sole function (within standard field expectations) there is no point.

CoStick

WKR
How long before a hotlink or new thread is posted on sniperhide? I considered it but I don’t have enough history to post it without it being seen as a pop shot.

Side note I just ordered the 3-15 LHT. It want it to be the perfect scope, but if it cannot perform it’s sole function (within standard field expectations) there is no point.
I haven’t read of an actual failure for people using it hunting. Having said that, regardless of scope manufacture you use, if your scope takes a hard knock, it seems the responsible course of action is to check zero before shooting at game. All scopes will fail.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I haven’t read of an actual failure for people using it hunting. Having said that, regardless of scope manufacture you use, if your scope takes a hard knock, it seems the responsible course of action is to check zero before shooting at game. All scopes will fail.
I’m still waiting for the video of the scope being dropped while mounted to the gun at 6” IN THE SNOW and losing its zero. It’s not hard to post a 10 second clip. I’m not calling bulls*** but let’s just saw I find it hard to believe.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Nice report Form, thanks for doing the testing and writing it up for us.

I’m still waiting for the video of the scope being dropped while mounted to the gun at 6” IN THE SNOW and losing its zero. It’s not hard to post a 10 second clip. I’m not calling bulls*** but let’s just saw I find it hard to believe.

Having done a bit of testing in this vein myself, I do not find that result surprising. I've seen systems shift a LOT from just tipping over while on a bipod.

RussDXT

WKR
I am quite thankful that form is running this test, and I have one of these scopes on order.

I look forward to more information posted.

Thank you for an excellent source of information.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Carl. Hope you are doing well.

Are your Gen 2 Razors still going strong?
I'm good, I think this working one job at a time thing is going to suit me and allow enough space in life to actually get back to some shooting and hunting. At one time I thought I lost interest in shooting, now I think I was just chronically burnt out.

My Gen 2 Razor behaved okay-ish. It did occasionally give me reason to think it was shifting .1 to .2 mils infrequently. It was sometimes combined with some other minor factors, like some handloads that had the same recipe and component lot #'s as the prior batch BUT were loaded at a different session. My confidence could have been higher. I eventually swapped it for a HDMR II that treated me pretty well for a couple years, and have since "upgraded" to a pair of Kahles K525's. I trust them more than I did the Razor, and less than the DMR's I've had.

I like that you developed a standard for testing AND I think it sounds like a pretty good standard. I plan to run a few scopes through it.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I'm good, I think this working one job at a time thing is going to suit me and allow enough space in life to actually get back to some shooting and hunting. At one time I thought I lost interest in shooting, now I think I was just chronically burnt out.

Good deal.

My Gen 2 Razor behaved okay-ish. It did occasionally give me reason to think it was shifting .1 to .2 mils infrequently.

This is what I/we’ve seen continuously from the larger Gen 2’s- intermittent shifts of .2-.4 mils.

ETtikka

WKR

Fire the pop shot, im sure vortex marketing would welcome the opportunity for improvement

Having said that, regardless of scope manufacture you use, if your scope takes a hard knock, it seems the responsible course of action is to check zero before shooting at game.
Unless the scope has been tested and demonstrated to not lose zero after a hard knock, right? I thought Formidilosus did a great discussion on this point with the new thread about the reasons/standards for these tests at https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/

ETtikka

WKR
Unless the scope has been tested and demonstrated to not lose zero after a hard knock, right? I thought Formidilosus did a great discussion on this point with the new thread about the reasons/standards for these tests at https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-field-eval-explanation-and-standards.246775/
Even if you happen to have a scope design that passes these test, your individual scope/mounting system is still suspect until proven otherwise after a knock, however statistics are in your favor assuming the mount/weapon are solid and your scope design has passed

That is my understanding

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So you’re going to shoot at animals after a hard knock (which honestly barely happens btw while hunting) because a stranger on the internet said a certain scope “doesn’t lose zero”? Wow.

So let’s walk through the scenario…

“Hey man, you’re scope just fell hard onto a rock!” “Let’s head back towards camp and make sure your still dialed in.”

“No I’m good! Some nameless, faceless, complete stranger who drops scopes on the internet told me this certain scope will be fine.” “Let’s go shoot at a living creature with it!”

I can’t understand how many of you think this is acceptable. Blowing my mind seeing all of this nonsense on here the last couple weeks on multiple threads.

I appreciate the unbiased info that’s being provided on scopes. Love this kind of stuff, but I’m going to have to check out of these if the aforementioned rhetoric keeps coming up.