Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50mm Q&A

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, you have previously posted that trijicons have proven solid in the past, is that correct?

Correct. What I have seen from the Accupowers and Accupoints has been a generally reliable and durable scope. They are not NXS Milspecs- but I would personally have little issue in using one for hunting.

Bones

WKR
Correct. What I have seen from the Accupowers and Accupoints has been a generally reliable and durable scope. They are not NXS Milspecs- but I would personally have little issue in using one for hunting.
Form, if you don’t mind, on the Nightforce NXS, is there a big difference in the mil spec NXS and the civilian version. If so, is there a way to get hands on mil spec versions if not in the military?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, if you don’t mind, on the Nightforce NXS, is there a big difference in the mil spec NXS and the civilian version. If so, is there a way to get hands on mil spec versions if not in the military?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance.

There is a difference, but in functional use it probably won’t show for the vast, vast majority. The Milspecs are only available on the used market, and keep in mind they have a ten year warranty.

I would happily trust and use a non Milspec NXS.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
There’s over 15,000,000 hunting license holders in the U.S. This Forum has a total of less than 54,000 members. This thread currently has about 6,000 views. Not every view agrees with the basis of what has been done or are convinced of the conclusions that have been stated. A few thousand is not even a drop in the bucket or a blip on a radar out in the real world.

Well, you're here and that's all that really matters....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
I will tell everyone a secret. The only upside for Rokslide to do this is for the consumer.

We already get plenty of clicks.

Who was this review for?

That is a different optic.
What exactly are you trying to get at?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I believe he means the fact that it was a pretty weak review that praised a scope that wasn’t fully put to the test. It feels like Rokslide is starting to head in the right direction, giving Form the reigns.

I believe he means the fact that it was a pretty weak review that praised a scope that wasn’t fully put to the test. It feels like Rokslide is starting to head in the right direction, giving Form the reigns.

Who is giving Form the reigns? A platform to exhibit his test results, yes.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

Who was this review for?
For the the consumer as well. Jared did a great job on it too. Those were his review parameters and it looks like it killed what he pointed it at. I've never said these scope won't work most of the time, especially if you don't mind checking zero a lot. When I started getting into the LR hunting I was constantly re-zeroing my Mark 4's and PSTs but I killed a pile of animals with them too. But I also had a WTF happened a few times when I started stretching them out. When I got my first NF I noticed I rarely had to re-zero. According to my notes my canyon rifle was rezeroed twice in 600 rounds. The X5 that sits on my wife's 6.5, I don't even remember the last time I re-zeroed it. My point is I want to know were the breaking point is on my equipment before I line up on an elk at 1050 yards. What I want out of a scope might not be what someone else wants out of a scope. You would have to ask Jared but I doubt he would shoot that far at an animal and I bet his scoped did exactly what he says it did. In Forms test it tracked fine till he started dropping it. If you read what form said in the past, most scopes fail, the devil is in the detail of where it failed in the test.

I've been dropping scopes and hitting them with rubber mallets for a few years but I always wanted a way to standardize it. Then I read what Form was doing a couple months ago, I called him, he explained it to me and here we are.

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
The one they do for their classes on day 1. Should be in the optics forum. He’s going to keep it private from now on.

The loaner scopes they use for the classes are SWFA, Athlon Cronus and possibly a NF. Why? Because they all work like they’re supposed to.

Frank used to drop test scopes and crank the hell out of them and post results.

The tracking test results are still here: https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/scope-tracking-test-results-2020/

Note that they're not drop tests. And note that Frank and Mark offer a lot of very important caveats and context.

nksmfamjp

FNG
Wow! Good review. I like a little honesty once in a while!

However the windage is not rotation limited and having a way to ensure the windage is on the correct rev is better, and should be included whether it’s a rev indicator or a rotation limited turret.
I agree it should be limited, but honestly my windage cap is never coming off, unless to zero.
Yet, once again we get a reticle that is a PRS/dedicated LR design- extremely thin with the thick outer bars spaced too far from center (10mils), and with a tree. Marketing. No one is holding ten mils worth of wind- ever. And no one that is hunting is holding 10 mils of elevation with 6 mils of wind on the tree.
Well, consider 308 Win at 700 yards…30 mph wind….4.8mil elevation & 5.5 wind. At 1600fps, it could still do the job. It’s the old school 308/30-06 guys driving the wide tree shapes. I like it for judging misses in practice.

You mentioned being ok with 5mil in a turn, but imo, a turret should be 10 mil per turn period. That is to get me to 1000 yds in one turn or less. Rev counter should be an ELR thing.

Last, I’m not sure if I need a 36” drop capable optic, but the shiftiness at 12” scares me. I’m glad I didn’t buy this…. I was hovering over the checkout button and then went Tract. Thank you for your aggressive review techniques!

Will you send back to Vortex to repair? To me, this is some pos that passed QC, but maybe they are all like this.

SDHNTR

WKR
For the the consumer as well. Jared did a great job on it too. Those were his review parameters and it looks like it killed what he pointed it at. I've never said these scope won't work most of the time, especially if you don't mind checking zero a lot. When I started getting into the LR hunting I was constantly re-zeroing my Mark 4's and PSTs but I killed a pile of animals with them too. But I also had a WTF happened a few times when I started stretching them out. When I got my first NF I noticed I rarely had to re-zero. According to my notes my canyon rifle was rezeroed twice in 600 rounds. The X5 that sits on my wife's 6.5, I don't even remember the last time I re-zeroed it. My point is I want to know were the breaking point is on my equipment before I line up on an elk at 1050 yards. What I want out of a scope might not be what someone else wants out of a scope. You would have to ask Jared but I doubt he would shoot that far at an animal and I bet his scoped did exactly what he says it did. In Forms test it tracked fine till he started dropping it. If you read what form said in the past, most scopes fail, the devil is in the detail of where it failed in the test.

I've been dropping scopes and hitting them with rubber mallets for a few years but I always wanted a way to standardize it. Then I read what Form was doing a couple months ago, I called him, he explained it to me and here we are.
I’d buy an X5 in a heartbeat if they only figured out a way to make that turret a little smaller. Do you ever have problems with that? Also wish, I could still find a non illuminated version. I don’t like how that whole crosshair lights up. Do they even make non-illuminated anymore?

freddyG

WKR
The tracking test results are still here: https://www.snipershide.com/precision-rifle/scope-tracking-test-results-2020/

Note that they're not drop tests. And note that Frank and Mark offer a lot of very important caveats and context.
I thought that he was talking about a different scope test. The one you linked to has been there a while, and as far as I know, hasn’t ever been taken down.

It’s basically a tracking test to see what the error in tracking is. It tells you nothing about how fragile a scope may, or may not be.

I also want to add that we aren't picking on any scope or manufacture. We would love for them all to pass the test.

Forms Method of evaluation is very straightforward with no bias.. I looking forward to getting a pile of scopes tested and catalogued for all to see. This should of happened years ago!!

that's the beauty of these tests... zero bias, complete objectivity.... might confuse some, but i sure appreciate it.

maybe Form will start a trend ;)

make the internet great again.... i know, it's a somewhat delusional idea, but wouldn't it be something?! haha

Side note I just ordered the 3-15 LHT. It want it to be the perfect scope, but if it cannot perform it’s sole function (within standard field expectations) there is no point.
i'm in the market and was heavily leaning on that scope.... glad i didn't get antsy and go that route. now i'm heavily leaning on the 3-10shv. the reason i didn't just get the LHT when i decided i wanted a new scope is my previous experience with vortex and trying to squeeze too much into a 1k scope... just didn't trust it, but was seeing more good than bad.... but no type of abuse tests or reports, and i'm not easy on anything.

basically, a little voice kept me from ordering one... couldn't do it. last 2 Vortex items i bought, i told myself never again.... nothing really bad, they just seem underwhelming, over hyped/marketed, and too much emphasis on a kick ass warranty is never a good sign for reliablity..... if i have a big issue with normal use, a warranty is useless, i don't want another, and don't trust it