Vortex addiction

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. Well maybe a lil bit. But (a) if sarcasm offends you, on the internet, then take a breath (I’ve received my share of legitimate criticism and I’m ok), and (b) while my post was terse, it was something I still recommend. I’m no expert but I’ve learned more by reading than posting. And I’ve still got plenty left to learn.

I did have a few memes I considered posting, but I’m trying to show restraint. Especially for new folks, and @fngTony
I think we got this thread on a constructive path, let’s hold our fire with the memes 🙂

crich

WKR
I understand that, but not all people have the time and the money or the location to do all that. I'm over by DC and any just about any shooting over 100 yards has to be done when I go visit family in WV. My original post was about the custom turrets based on my current situation that's what I prefer to go with at this time. I'm not trying to go hole for hole at 500. I'm trying to put deer down at various distances easily with what little time I have off work.
Welcome to the forum no harm no foul. There is a fair amount of sarcasm here but the mods do a great job of keeping it from turning into 24hr campfire; theyve had their work cut out lately. Its just ironic your post was about being a Vortex fanatic on a site thats largely against Vortex. They have a reputation for needing to use their no questions warranty which doesnt cut it for the majority of guys on this site. When a truck ride or a fall when leaned against a tree throws your scope off its no bueno for a guy thats miles/days in on a backpack mountain hunt for tag that cost $1k or a $20k sheep hunt etc... If they suit you well for your particular needs then rock on 👍 For what youre doing finding your maximum point blank rand zeroing for that would be what Id do.

Last edited:
OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
Welcome to the forum no harm no foul. There is a fair amount of sarcasm here but the mods do a great job of keeping it from turning into 24hr campfire; theyve had their work cut out lately. Its just ironic your post was about being a Vortex fanatic on a site thats largely against Vortex. They have a reputation for needing to use their no questions warranty which doesnt cut it for the majority of guys on this site. When a truck ride or a fall when leaned against a tree throws your scope off its no bueno for a guy thats miles/days in on a backpack mountain hunt for tag that cost $1k or a $20k sheep hunt etc... If they suit you well for your particular needs then rock on 👍 For what youre doing finding your maximum point blank rand zeroing for that would be what Id do.

If I was planning something a little more extravagant, I'd invest in a little better setup, but for now I like changing things up and trying different products as my budget allows. I still don't get the whole Vortex thing, plenty of people on this site selling their products and just searching the word vortex doesn't bring up anything to the level I've seen on this post.

I grew up killing deer with Tascos, Vintage weavers and Bushnells. Deer still dropped and went in the freezer. I'm not at the point where in life where I can put $1500+ scopes on all my guns, so I do what I can.

And there's also varying degrees of all products and cost. My deer rifles all have Japan made Vortex's ( which I got good deals on 2nd hand) which I really like so far. I will say I'm not a big fan of the Vipers overall aesthetic build, and I don't have any of those. If people are comparing a SB or NF to a Diamondback then yes, there's a huge difference in quality. As you said, for my variables, this is the level/price point I'm ok with. Its the same with Bushnell, I'll run older elite series glass from Japan any day and not worry about it, but I don't bother with any of the other lines.

I think the main thing I'm hooked on right now is 1" or 30mm tube, lightweight as I can get, smaller turrets, and a bdc rectile. So far, its been hard to find anything that matches the LHT or LT at the price I got them (less than half msrp).

Hnthrdr

WKR
If I was planning something a little more extravagant, I'd invest in a little better setup, but for now I like changing things up and trying different products as my budget allows. I still don't get the whole Vortex thing, plenty of people on this site selling their products and just searching the word vortex doesn't bring up anything to the level I've seen on this post.

I grew up killing deer with Tascos, Vintage weavers and Bushnells. Deer still dropped and went in the freezer. I'm not at the point where in life where I can put $1500+ scopes on all my guns, so I do what I can.

And there's also varying degrees of all products and cost. My deer rifles all have Japan made Vortex's ( which I got good deals on 2nd hand) which I really like so far. I will say I'm not a big fan of the Vipers overall aesthetic build, and I don't have any of those. If people are comparing a SB or NF to a Diamondback then yes, there's a huge difference in quality. As you said, for my variables, this is the level/price point I'm ok with. Its the same with Bushnell, I'll run older elite series glass from Japan any day and not worry about it, but I don't bother with any of the other lines.

I think the main thing I'm hooked on right now is 1" or 30mm tube, lightweight as I can get, smaller turrets, and a bdc rectile. So far, its been hard to find anything that matches the LHT or LT at the price I got them (less than half msrp).
Guys around here seem to like the swfa scopes which meet that criteria…

grfox92

WKR
The problem with Vortex is that they work great until they don't. And they often fail right when you need them to work, in the field on a hunt.

I have a Diamondback budget currently, and because of that, I use Burris Fullfield II. A scope cheaper then diamondback with a reputation of being as durable as a high dollar optic.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

You can get much much better scopes than Vortex for much cheaper than you think.

The reality is that Vortex scopes can regularly be purchased for 1/2 their MSRP.

It has already been stated, but I'll repeat it anyway. Do yourself a favor and scroll down to the long range hunting forum (here on Rokslide) and read the scope evaluation thread.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
If having the yardage on your turrets fits your hunting style, save yourself some money and get some 1/4” white electric tape and a permanent marker. One of the free apps recommended with a little bit of research will get you a great starting point to verify dope inside of 350-400yds. You can also adjust this method for different loads, elevations ect. Without giving Kenton another $100 bones. This is a screenshot of what I’m talking about, (not my photo). Also I’d recommend looking into the scope in this picture I think it would work fantastic for your new build.

5BDE68CD-6CC8-4A53-A68C-DB541F83C5DD.png

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
The first step to overcoming your addiction is to admit that you have a problem. :) There is a lot of free therapy (opinions) available here so take it all with a grain of salt and remember the best thing about free advise is you are out nothing if you don't use or follow it. All brands have failure but some just have a high percentage also there are people who can destroy an anvil with out trying.