Vortex addiction

Neoblueb

FNG
Slowly moving all my guns over to vortex. I bought a razor 4.5-22x50 on my 308 Rem 700 with proof barrel. I received a Kenton code for a free ballistic strip. Awesome hunting scope and now spoiled with the turret markings.

I've got a diamondback 4-16 hp on my Model Seven 243 with a 24" Douglas barrel and wanting the same setup.

Also just picked up a Rem 700 titanium in &mm-08 last week and trying to decide what to put on it. Looking like a razor LH gen 1 3-15 would be a nice match. Want to keep the scope light since the gun is about 5.2 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
Welcome to Rokslide. You may want to try the search function. I expect if you are open to used gear you can get some great deals here.
Is that a sarcastic welcome? Use the search function?? Why do people jump on new members like that?

If you read my post, I'm not looking for gear. Just posting about my optics and seeing if anyone may have a vortex redemption code for a Kenton strip.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
I'm good. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to use the search function in 2023 so maybe I just took it wrong. Or maybe I'm just hangry. I don't know.

can't reply to classifieds yet even if I was interested.

"Please note, for a user to post in the classifieds or send a PM they must have 10 posts in other threads and be a user for 7 days."

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
New guy-you have been given good advice. My advice is, take a step back, get a feel for this place and stop with the snarky responses, like on your overall second post. Lots of good dudes and info on here, maybe contribute as well. Welcome aboard.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
I assume you're talking about a custom made sticker with elevation markings? Isn't that something one could do on their own? Seems like it would be fairly simple but what do I know.
It is if you have a place to really range out some shots and verify where it's hitting. 95% of the time I have 100 yards to work with, and once a year I'm visiting where there's a 300 yard. With Kenton, they supposedly get you pretty close based on the ballistic data provided by the manufacture. There's a lot more that goes into it as well, like moa/mil calculations, how high the scope is above bore, temperature, elevation. A lot more math than I'm able to do on my own, that's for sure.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
Juvenile, argumentative nonsense will not be tolerated. This is a first/final warning.
Rest assured, we will not standby and do nothing. This place has been great long before I joined, and we will keep it that way.
What are you "doing" besides telling new members to be quiet and to get a "feel" for the place. I'm here to post and talk and waste some time. I'm not 14 either, so don't need advice on what to say just because I'm a new member. Optics man and look at both sides of " may want to use the search function" . This is just black and white text, so that can be taken more than one way. Can't tell tone on here.

Instead, how bout a welcome, vortex is (thoughts) ..... I checked the classifieds for you, nothing for sale right now, or i saw a good deal on.... or whatever . Its called social interaction. Thats how you actually welcome someone.

If you want to attract new members probably not a good idea to jump them on the first post and talk about how you don't like recent new members.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
The Hornady 4dof app will do that math for free for you
I've got a Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX rangefinder and I can plug in that stuff too. It's nice for long range shots where I have plenty of time, but for spot and stalks on the farm I hunt, sometimes I just don't have the time. Its nice to have it right on the dial. It's pretty much the same as Leopold's custom CDS dials. It's just most manufacturing's haven't copied that idea yet. Kenton makes them from blanks, but they are like $100 for an oem dial with custom engraved ballistics.

Rob5589

WKR
It is if you have a place to really range out some shots and verify where it's hitting. 95% of the time I have 100 yards to work with, and once a year I'm visiting where there's a 300 yard. With Kenton, they supposedly get you pretty close based on the ballistic data provided by the manufacture. There's a lot more that goes into it as well, like moa/mil calculations, how high the scope is above bore, temperature, elevation. A lot more math than I'm able to do on my own, that's for sure.
You should be actually shooting the distance to verify 100%. Pretty close doesn't work for extended distance shooting and variable atmospheric conditions. There's no way I'd trust any ammo manufacturer's data. Too many times real world results are vastly different from what is stated on the box. If you can verify with a chronograph you'll have more accurate inputs. Any ballistics solver is only as good as the data inputted. This includes information passed along to build those decals

TheHammer

WKR
If you got a feel for this place you wouldn’t be butt hurt about your welcome. If you got a feel for this place you wouldn’t be making suggestions to what people think about vortex on this forum (you would see I’m one of the limited individuals on the vortex train). If you got a feel for this place you will see others have been banned for less displacement than you have displayed …… you might not be 14 but you are carrying yourself in a 14yr olds demeanor (my about to turn 12yr old son has Autism in a non verbal fashion and he composes himself better). Almost all of the guys on here want to help and they themselves grow for the betterment of the activities discussed on here. Fantastic place to sift through information while networking with similar types of people.

CorbLand

WKR
What are you "doing" besides telling new members to be quiet and to get a "feel" for the place. I'm here to post and talk and waste some time. I'm not 14 either, so don't need advice on what to say just because I'm a new member. Optics man and look at both sides of " may want to use the search function" . This is just black and white text, so that can be taken more than one way. Can't tell tone on here.

Instead, how bout a welcome, vortex is (thoughts) ..... I checked the classifieds for you, nothing for sale right now, or i saw a good deal on.... or whatever . Its called social interaction. Thats how you actually welcome someone.

If you want to attract new members probably not a good idea to jump them on the first post and talk about how you don't like recent new members.
Banning people. That’s what the mods actually do around here.

Vortex is garbage and over priced for you get. Especially their scopes. I would love to check the classifieds for you but there’s a 5 dollar initial setup fee and I charge 15 bucks an hour after that. I am a very slow reader…would you like me to send you a contract? Seriously, why would anyone check the classifieds for you?

We don’t really care about attracting new members. We would much prefer the right members over a lot of members.

Did I do it right?

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
You should be actually shooting the distance to verify 100%. Pretty close doesn't work for extended distance shooting and variable atmospheric conditions. There's no way I'd trust any ammo manufacturer's data. Too many times real world results are vastly different from what is stated on the box. If you can verify with a chronograph you'll have more accurate inputs. Any ballistics solver is only as good as the data inputted. This includes information passed along to build those decals
Yeah I've got one range I can go to and spot check out to 1k yards but it's a drive. I'm a lot more limited out here on the east coast. In normal circumstances I'm not going to have a shot over 500 yards and majority of the time 2-300 yards. Not sure how much that will even matter at those distances, 1-2 inches ?? For big game, that's well within margin of error. I've done estimated holdover with $40 Tascos and taken plenty of deer when i was younger. I'm sure I missed a few more, but it is what it is.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
Banning people. That’s what the mods actually do around here.

Vortex is garbage and over priced for you get. Especially their scopes. I would love to check the classifieds for you but there’s a 5 dollar initial setup fee and I charge 15 bucks an hour after that. I am a very slow reader…would you like me to send you a contract? Seriously, why would anyone check the classifieds for you?

We don’t really care about attracting new members. We would much prefer the right members over a lot of members.

Did I do it right?
At least your sarcasm actually has some humor to it.

However, if you don't want to grow your community. Then why let people create accounts? I don't expect anyone to check for me. I'm just saying if you want to welcome someone, sometimes a nice gesture goes along way instead of telling them to go pound sand.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

He’s a moderator doing his job. I get it, some of our rules and etiquette might not make sense at first but they are there for a reason.