Vortex addiction

CorbLand

WKR
At least your sarcasm actually has some humor to it.

However, if you don't want to grow your community. Then why let people create accounts? I don't expect anyone to check for me. I'm just saying if you want to welcome someone, sometimes a nice gesture goes along way instead of telling them to go pound sand.
Because we would like new members but we want the right ones, not just anyone.

It’s also a nice gesture if new guys take some time to read the rules and be apart of the place and not make there first post looking for something free and trying to find a new scope. Put the time in and get access to the classifieds.

Like you, most of us aren’t 14 either. We aren’t stupid, we can see what you did.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member

@Neoblueb please read through the link. Also I edited your post and title to align with the rules.

Last edited:
OP, your knowledge of ballistics is very low. Spend some time with 4dof or jbm to see the numbers for yourself. Then read up on mpbr and see if that's a viable approach for your set up.

Cds isn't a feature, it's a pos, that's why more manufacturers haven't gone that route.

I recommend you participate in the cold bore challenge and read the scope field evaluations for a dose of reality on long range hunting and rifle scope performance.

JGRaider

WKR
Yeah I've got one range I can go to and spot check out to 1k yards but it's a drive. I'm a lot more limited out here on the east coast. In normal circumstances I'm not going to have a shot over 500 yards and majority of the time 2-300 yards. Not sure how much that will even matter at those distances, 1-2 inches ?? For big game, that's well within margin of error. I've done estimated holdover with $40 Tascos and taken plenty of deer when i was younger. I'm sure I missed a few more, but it is what it is.
If that's the case I wouldn't concern my self with a custom dial, spinning turrets, etc and get more of a "set and forget" scope. Out to 300 yards is no big task if you sight in a 200.

nobody

WKR
If that's the case I wouldn't concern my self with a custom dial, spinning turrets, etc and get more of a "set and forget" scope. Out to 300 yards is no big task if you sight in a 200.
Was just going to get on and suggest this, so I’ll add an Amen.

I’m a firm proponent of having the knowledge and ability to dial on all rifles by solving your own ballistics and lots and LOTS of practice.

BUT, if the OP is really and truly never going to shoot beyond 300 yards, a 200 yard zero/2.5-ish inches high at 100 will allow him to “hold fur” on most modern cartridges and kill plenty of game. A “custom turret” becomes more of a distraction and a toy than a help at those distances.

OP
Neoblueb

Neoblueb

FNG
Was just going to get on and suggest this, so I’ll add an Amen.

I’m a firm proponent of having the knowledge and ability to dial on all rifles by solving your own ballistics and lots and LOTS of practice.

BUT, if the OP is really and truly never going to shoot beyond 300 yards, a 200 yard zero/2.5-ish inches high at 100 will allow him to “hold fur” on most modern cartridges and kill plenty of game. A “custom turret” becomes more of a distraction and a toy than a help at those distances.

I understand that, but not all people have the time and the money or the location to do all that. I'm over by DC and any just about any shooting over 100 yards has to be done when I go visit family in WV. My original post was about the custom turrets based on my current situation that's what I prefer to go with at this time. I'm not trying to go hole for hole at 500. I'm trying to put deer down at various distances easily with what little time I have off work.

I understand that, but not all people have the time and the money or the location to do all that. I'm over by DC and any just about any shooting over 100 yards has to be done when I go visit family in WV. My original post was about the custom turrets based on my current situation that's what I prefer to go with at this time. I'm not trying to go hole for hole at 500. I'm trying to put deer down at various distances easily with what little time I have off work.
I've lived in DC, and don't live too far from there now. If you can't put in the time to practice and be proficient beyond MPBR, you shouldn't be taking shots at game out that far. It's really that simple.

Just because the turret and vortex say you can make the shot doesn't mean you can actually make a clean kill at that range in real life. Some skills take time to develop and maintain, shooting is one of them. Reading the wind is another. Custom turrets are a complete joke, and you'd realize that if you spent even 10 minutes playing on jbm and changing environmentals then looking at how the solutions change beyond ~400 yards.

Here's a great thing to do at 100 yards: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...ice-posts-and-rifle-practice-shooting.165291/

nobody

WKR
You have the scope already, correct?

1. Ballistic AE is a FREE app you can download right now. Go and zero your rifle and download that app.

2. Plug in your rifle setup. Barrel length (can be gotten from the manufacturer's website), twist rate (from the side of the rifle's barrel), scope adjustment value (either 0.1 Mils or 1/4 MOA, just read on the scope itself), and the height over bore of your scope (lay the rifle on its side, measure from the center of your bolt to the center of your turret housing. It'll be between 1.5 and 2 inches most likely, all you need is a tape measure), and your zero distance (whatever distance you zeroed at in step #1).

3. Plug in your ammo info. Ballistic AE already has bullet profiles, so you can just choose whatever factory load you're using from their dropdown menu. This will even give you your approximate velocity, and even if the velocity is off by +/- 100 FPS, it won't make a nickel's worth of difference inside 500. That is to say, if you miss at 450, it won't be because your velocity is off.

4. Plug in your current atmospheric information. This can be obtained through your weather app on your phone.

5. Plug in your approximate elevation. This can be obtained through either your GPS or through Google.

6. Hit the solve button on your app, then screenshot the solution table it spits out. Then set that screenshot as your screen saver during hunting season, and when you need to take a shot you just pull out your phone and look at your solution on your screen for the distance your rangefinder is giving you. The difference is you'll dial to 10 MOA (or whatever your your ballistic solution is) instead of to the little number "5" on your turret for 500 yards.

This is EXACTLY what Kenton Industries, Leupold, Gunwerks, Red Rock Precision, Huskemaw, and every other "custom turret" maker out there is doing. The difference is that rather than handing you a table that tells you to dial 10 MOA or whatever it is to hit at 500, they etch a little "5" meaning 500 yards on the turret in place of the 10 on your elevation dial.

These companies aren't doing anything "magical," they're using all the same programs that you and I have access to and plugging the information (which you are required to gather and supply to them anyway) and charging you $100 to take 3 minutes and plug the solution into the calculator for you and hit "print" on their little printer.

All I'm saying is you don't NEED the custom turret at all. You're giving them all the pertinent information you would need to solve things for yourself anyways, why not save the $100 and cut out the middle man entirely and have the gratification of doing the solving yourself?

CRJR45

WKR
Welcome Blue . Are you new to shooting/hunting ? Because the majority of people on here are ethical hunters that would rather pass on a shot beyond their skill set rather than risk wounding a animal .
Also , most people on here make time to find places to shoot at the distance they plan to harvest a animal , and find out exactly what their gun is capable of at those distances .
And talking about custom dial turrets , most people find them useless .
And lastly , most NFG's are here because they found this place from searching for info about shooting or hunting , and have read a lot of threads and got a feel for the place before posting .
You really jumped into the deep end of the pool , there is not much love for Vortex scopes here , which you would know if you had used the search function , or did any reading about scopes .
I sense you could benefit vastly from reading more , and posting less , and I mean that in a good way .

Good luck .

Pdzoller

WKR
I used to buy Vortex a lot.
Last year my wife and I took a week and a half hunting trip for Blacktail. Second to last day we finally found the buck we wanted. I think it was something like 456 yards. I felt really good about the shot and took it. Clean miss. We couldn’t even see where the bullet had hit. The buck continued feeding and I took some breaths and tried again. Another clean miss. I didn’t want to just wound him so we had to sit and watch the best buck I’ve ever put crosshairs on walk away.

The next day I went to check my zero. It was shooting eight inches high. I adjusted accordingly and still eight inches high. I adjusted again and it was two inches high. Adjusted again and it was six inches high.

It wasn’t the most expensive scope but not cheap according to my budget ($900).

After some research I found that this is not an isolated incident with Vortex. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Never again.

Marble

WKR
What are you "doing" besides telling new members to be quiet and to get a "feel" for the place. I'm here to post and talk and waste some time. I'm not 14 either, so don't need advice on what to say just because I'm a new member. Optics man and look at both sides of " may want to use the search function" . This is just black and white text, so that can be taken more than one way. Can't tell tone on here.

Instead, how bout a welcome, vortex is (thoughts) ..... I checked the classifieds for you, nothing for sale right now, or i saw a good deal on.... or whatever . Its called social interaction. Thats how you actually welcome someone.

If you want to attract new members probably not a good idea to jump them on the first post and talk about how you don't like recent new members.
First impressions are pretty important. You only get one chance at it. If you want to get the most out of this place I would suggest evaluating what's being said in this thread and not to be so sensitive.

Since you asked...Vortex is mediocre, middle of the pack glass that functions well with a good warranty. I use some of their products, but for gear I need the best performance possible, I buy other brands.

As far as making a dope chart for your gun, it seems like the biggest factor in errors is velocity and extreme spread between rounds. If you have a really good chronograph and a load that is less than 20 fps ES, you should be able to get the info you need without paying for it. @300 yards, it won't make a significant difference in drop. It's when you get out to extended ranges, around 500 and beyond, depending on the cartridge being shot, where super accurate range numbers can translate into great accuracy at distance.

CorbLand

WKR
You have the scope already, correct?

1. Ballistic AE is a FREE app you can download right now. Go and zero your rifle and download that app.

2. Plug in your rifle setup. Barrel length (can be gotten from the manufacturer's website), twist rate (from the side of the rifle's barrel), scope adjustment value (either 0.1 Mils or 1/4 MOA, just read on the scope itself), and the height over bore of your scope (lay the rifle on its side, measure from the center of your bolt to the center of your turret housing. It'll be between 1.5 and 2 inches most likely, all you need is a tape measure), and your zero distance (whatever distance you zeroed at in step #1).

3. Plug in your ammo info. Ballistic AE already has bullet profiles, so you can just choose whatever factory load you're using from their dropdown menu. This will even give you your approximate velocity, and even if the velocity is off by +/- 100 FPS, it won't make a nickel's worth of difference inside 500. That is to say, if you miss at 450, it won't be because your velocity is off.

4. Plug in your current atmospheric information. This can be obtained through your weather app on your phone.

5. Plug in your approximate elevation. This can be obtained through either your GPS or through Google.

6. Hit the solve button on your app, then screenshot the solution table it spits out. Then set that screenshot as your screen saver during hunting season, and when you need to take a shot you just pull out your phone and look at your solution on your screen for the distance your rangefinder is giving you. The difference is you'll dial to 10 MOA (or whatever your your ballistic solution is) instead of to the little number "5" on your turret for 500 yards.

This is EXACTLY what Kenton Industries, Leupold, Gunwerks, Red Rock Precision, Huskemaw, and every other "custom turret" maker out there is doing. The difference is that rather than handing you a table that tells you to dial 10 MOA or whatever it is to hit at 500, they etch a little "5" meaning 500 yards on the turret in place of the 10 on your elevation dial.

These companies aren't doing anything "magical," they're using all the same programs that you and I have access to and plugging the information (which you are required to gather and supply to them anyway) and charging you $100 to take 3 minutes and plug the solution into the calculator for you and hit "print" on their little printer.

All I'm saying is you don't NEED the custom turret at all. You're giving them all the pertinent information you would need to solve things for yourself anyways, why not save the $100 and cut out the middle man entirely and have the gratification of doing the solving yourself?
Or tape that chart to your stock or the scope. Hell, if 300 yards is the farthest he plans to shoot, get a scope with some form of hash marks and verify those to 300. Taking the time to dial for 300 and under to kill a deer is just a waste of time.

Op, send your information and I can screenshot you a chart from strelok.

woods89

WKR
Vortex is garbage and over priced for you get. Especially their scopes. I would love to check the classifieds for you but there’s a 5 dollar initial setup fee and I charge 15 bucks an hour after that. I am a very slow reader…would you like me to send you a contract?
Too cheap! You need to raise your prices!

Broomd

WKR
If a guy has the kwan to go all in on several guns with glass, do it right. Swarovski, Nightforce, Leica, S&B.. It may take a bit longer to fit all, but these are lifetime, heirloom-quality glass choices that work.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My “glass opinion” from some pretty heavy field use over the years…

.Meopta for binos and spotting scopes. Durable, best glass quality for the money, just plain work.

.Nightforce and SWFA for hunting rifle scopes. Durable, reliable, track consistently, glass more than good enough for hunting.

My opinion on vortex is that they sell a now overpriced product with a warranty that almost always ends up being used. A warranty does me zero good when I’m in the back country and my scope doesn’t reliably hold zero in basic hunting conditions.

Vortex binos are not durable and are prone to issues with light field use in my experience. Send them in for that lifetime warranty. Get them back, they fail again. Rinse and repeat. Same dirty for their scopes… I would never have one of their scopes on my hunting rifles.

Wrench

WKR
"Custom" turrets are doing more to hurt the sport than help it.

Would you shoot for titles with a custom turret against someone pulling from a kestrel or a program?

You'd lose if you did.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Is that a sarcastic welcome?
No. Well maybe a lil bit. But (a) if sarcasm offends you, on the internet, then take a breath (I’ve received my share of legitimate criticism and I’m ok), and (b) while my post was terse, it was something I still recommend. I’m no expert but I’ve learned more by reading than posting. And I’ve still got plenty left to learn.

I did have a few memes I considered posting, but I’m trying to show restraint. Especially for new folks, and @fngTony

Honyock

WKR
I realize that some can't afford high end scopes, but if someone is buying a scope based on the warranty you might want to rethink things. If I'm investing the time and money for hunts, I want a scope that doesn't need a warranty. The warranty does no good when you're 8 miles in and your scope craps out and ruins the hunt.