Volunteers Needed to Hunt Bison on the Grand Canyon's North Rim

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Man I really don't get why everyone is so butt hurt about this. I see it as a cool opportunity to be a part of something resembling a hunt/harvest in one of America's most iconic landscapes for one of its' most iconic species. How many people alive have been a part of a bison kill in the Grand Canyon? The experience alone is the adventure, anything else is just a bonus.

If anyone needs an extra hand as part of their “team” should a Rokslider be chosen let me know! As mentioned before by others the experience no matter how it turns out sounds very interesting.

MattB

WKR
I'd be putting my name in the hat. It's something that sounds like it might be a once in a lifetime experience. Not what I'm going to call a hunt, but an experience. It could turn to more of a hunt, or a high fence shoot. Just don't know until you give it a try.
A few friends have hunted buffalo on the north rim, and it can be a very challenging hunt. The buffalo cover a ton of ground and are pretty sensitive to pressure.

A few friends have hunted buffalo on the north rim, and it can be a very challenging hunt. The buffalo cover a ton of ground and are pretty sensitive to pressure.

I assume it's like anything with a damage permit. The first few are pretty easy, then they figure out what's up.

MattB

WKR
I assume it's like anything with a damage permit. The first few are pretty easy, then they figure out what's up.
I don't have a sense of that. The public hunt tends to be over mineral/water just off the park and they are hunting buffalo that come and go across the boundary. My sense is those animals are pretty wary. There may be other herds that live on the park fulltime and have not experienced hunting pressure, but I highly doubt it will be anything like the Raymond Ranch hunt where you are accompanied by AZGFD personnel and they point out which buffalo you are to shoot.

It does probably help that they have some radio collared. 😁

Sounds like you'll be volunteering (busting your azz) being a pack mule hauling meat on foot for 4 days so the AZGFD can give the bulk of the meat to the indian tribes.....what a deal.

Opah

WKR
The left over scraps of the maybe 12 Bison given to the One shooter that may or may not share. Now what ever happens to the rest of the Bison carcasses is up to the ADFW, sounds pretty clear to me.

rayporter

WKR
oh, come on here.

how many times have you read of sharpshooters being hired to cull animals?

and griped and wished you could be one of those sharpshooters?

and now you got a chance----------and you still gripe.

the gripers need their own forum!

but one thing does stick out. if the natives want the meat ???? why so little effort by them. cause i know they will be there with their hand out waiting.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
oh, come on here.

how many times have you read of sharpshooters being hired to cull animals?

and griped and wished you could be one of those sharpshooters?

and now you got a chance----------and you still gripe.

the gripers need their own forum!

but one thing does stick out. if the natives want the meat ???? why so little effort by them. cause i know they will be there with their hand out waiting.
Just because we're native doesn't mean we all get handouts. What a lot of people fail to realize is that some tribes do not get handouts. In my travels throughout the country I have come across many who automatically assume that a Native American entitles you to a handout. That's far from the truth. Yes some tribes to get more things than others. Example majority of the tribes around Phoenix/ Valley area recieve a per capita. My tribe does not. Even getting services through the tribal government is a hassle and a pain. Ill say that non-documented immigrants have a better shot at receiving handouts.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I applied. That part is pretty easy. I agree with the others that it should make for an interesting experience, even if it turns out to be more hard volunteer work than hunt of a lifetime.

... I highly doubt it will be anything like the Raymond Ranch hunt where you are accompanied by AZGFD personnel and they point out which buffalo you are to shoot.

It does probably help that they have some radio collared. 😁
Having an NPS or AZGFD biologist point out the exact animal to shoot is precisely how I picture this happening.

"Shoot that one. See you at the truck.'

If anyone needs an extra hand as part of their “team” should a Rokslider be chosen let me know! As mentioned before by others the experience no matter how it turns out sounds very interesting.
Ditto.

I put my name in to be a skilled volunteer, but would also be thrilled to be on someone else's support team.

MattB

WKR
I applied. That part is pretty easy. I agree with the others that it should make for an interesting experience, even if it turns out to be more hard volunteer work than hunt of a lifetime.

Having an NPS or AZGFD biologist point out the exact animal to shoot is precisely how I picture this happening.

"Shoot that one. See you at the truck.'
The North Rim hunt and Raymond Ranch hunt situations are vastly - vastly - different. The Raymond Ranch hunt is what you are envisioning (~50 animals in an enclosure, and the tags are allocated by age and sex). Even though this is being called a cull, it will be much more of a hunt than you think. The area is many, many times larger and trucks mean danger rather than hay.

rayporter

WKR
Just because we're native doesn't mean we all get handouts. What a lot of people fail to realize is that some tribes do not get handouts. In my travels throughout the country I have come across many who automatically assume that a Native American entitles you to a handout. That's far from the truth. Yes some tribes to get more things than others. Example majority of the tribes around Phoenix/ Valley area recieve a per capita. My tribe does not. Even getting services through the tribal government is a hassle and a pain. Ill say that non-documented immigrants have a better shot at receiving handouts.
i am sorry
excuse my ignorance

Htm84

WKR
Or maybe our taxes have done enough "volunteering" already.
I don’t see what your tax burden has to do with this. You’re getting the opportunity to shoot bison in a National park. If you think you pay too much in taxes and don’t want to participate in this rather unique life experience then don’t.

jmez

WKR
Might be more of of a hunt but there will be a NFS employee standing next to you saying yes or no.

They do this here with elk in Wind Cave National Park.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Ratbeetle

WKR
I don’t see what your tax burden has to do with this. You’re getting the opportunity to shoot bison in a National park. If you think you pay too much in taxes and don’t want to participate in this rather unique life experience then don’t.

Go back and read your original comment that I quoted. If you still don't understand why working for a taxpayer funded agency isn't a typical volunteer situation, I don't know what to tell you.

I have no plans to participate, however, last time I checked I was still free to comment on what a goat rope the whole thing will turn out to be.