Vivo forest tracker esc durability

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I added an insole cut from oak tanned saddle leather to mine to try to keep the mesquite and cactus out. So far so good, but quail season in November will really tell the tail. One thing about that insole is that it’s slick and your toes hit the end of the boot on steep downhills. I am considering cutting a new set of insoles and putting them in flesh side up to reduce that.

My guess is that you might be safe with jumping/teddy bear cholla on the soles, but I could see it getting through the toes and the top of the foot. Glad I don’t have that stuff over here. It’s awful stuff.
I hunt in literal forests of jumping cactus every year, the big mulie bucks live/hide in there.

BBob

WKR
Anyone with heavy cactus experience and these boots?
I have speared my big toe hitting one of the heavy spined prickly pears hiding in the deep grass in the dark so they are not like wearing a heavy leather boot. Probably better than a fabric upper boot but not fully cactus proof. For the most part they've been good.

bhylton

WKR
Can confirm, if a pair of caulked pac boots fall out of the your pickup and land on your foot, it will puncture the leather and poke a hole in your toe… not that it has anything to do with field use… but a data point non the less 😂

ElPollo

WKR
I hunt in literal forests of jumping cactus every year, the big mulie bucks live/hide in there.
Yeah, I figured. Used to live in AZ and still work there occasionally. For most of what I do, it’s about what you step on. With jumping cholla, you’re not safe from any direction. I’ve actually gotten cholla joints stuck in my armpit. Not sure what you can do about that. The one thing I’ll say about the Vivos is that the are very similar functionally to Apache and Navajo hard sole mocassins, which was their solution to how to handle cactus and mesquite.

sndmn11

WKR
How many of the popular boots out there have glued on soles? Like most all of them?
We have Hoffman, Schnee, Meindl, Hanwag, Inov8, and Vivo in the house. Only my three pairs of Vivo are stitched.

My wild guess of a hypothesis is that with the flexibility the sole, the sttiching increases the chances that any stress caused by that is taken by the stitching. My Inov8 lifting shoe, whare most like the Vivos in this sense, give me about 3 months before the sole starts to peel away, and then another 3-6 months after that before they aren't safe.