Vivo forest tracker esc durability

FZMT

FNG
Looks like an improvement over Steger mukluks, but wow, that’s a lot of money for what you’re getting.
Definitely.

I’ll be interested to get my hands on a pair, I much prefer the ESC sole to those on the Steger.

I'm a little nervous about completely giving up my schnees. I'll probably take them both elk hunting this year and see which one hurts my feet more 😂

twall13

WKR
I'm a little nervous about completely giving up my schnees. I'll probably take them both elk hunting this year and see which one hurts my feet more
They aren't for everyone and even though I've been mostly wearing Vivobarefoot shoes for 6+ years, I was hesitant to give up my Crispi's for hunting. I decided to take both on a recent high country archery mule deer hunt since our base camp made bringing more gear possible this year. I wore each boot back to back and was a little surprised by how much I preferred the Vivo's. On that steep terrain I thought I'd miss the stiff boots, especially side hilling. I didn't miss them at all and my feet actually felt better after a day in the Vivo's than they did in the Crispi's. I can't say everyone will have that same experience but I do think it's worth the experiment, especially if you've taken the time to strengthen your feet and calves and slowly ease into barefoot type shoes.

Now I need to go re-read some previous posts on sealing up the stitches and painting on a light rand. This will be my go to hunting boot for most situations now.

A couple of notes:
1. It rained a lot on this hunt and my feet definitely got wet in these. They also dried out quicker once the wet conditions subsided and they were never really uncomfortable, even when wet.
2. I was considering picking up a dedicated stalker shoe like the Stalkasins or Gulo but these are quiet enough I don't think I will.
3. My calves got a bit sore, though not bad, in the Vivo's, but I kind of focused my training with a stiff, heavy boot instead of these so I'm not totally surprised by this.
4. Yes, I could feel the rocks under my feet but even with a heavy pack it wasn't painful and helped me be more quiet.
5. When trying to walk quietly, such as on a stalk, my feet almost never slipped around in the loose shoe. I think because my heels weren't hitting the ground first.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone have any recommendations for insoles to add a little more cushion and warmth without adding arch support or stiffness?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I've used these the last two years, I average about 6 miles a day in my Vivo's during hunting season. No complaints.

For those who hunt in wet conditions, has anyone tried a waterproof sock, like Sealskinz, with their ESC's?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I've used these the last two years, I average about 6 miles a day in my Vivo's during hunting season. No complaints.

For those who hunt in wet conditions, has anyone tried a waterproof sock, like Sealskinz, with their ESC's?
I actually saw these on a hiking forum so glad they seem to work well. Did you go standard or full cushion?

I'm also interested in if anyone has used a waterproof sock for wet conditions, so good call-out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I actually saw these on a hiking forum so glad they seem to work well. Did you go standard or full cushion?
I got the Legacy 3mm, but I have been wearing predominantly barefoot shoes for ~8 years now so I am not bothered by feeling sharp rocks and hard surfaces. I will say I did crack the insoles in my very first outing with them (they got absolutely soaked through and I hiked them dry all day), after which I contacted the owner, John, and he was extremely helpful.

I would probably recommend the extra cushion for the vast majority of people who are transitioning to barefoot, or gonna go super hard in the mountains.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably recommend the extra cushion for the vast majority of people who are transitioning to barefoot, or gonna go super hard in the mountains.
I've been also doing barefoot shoes for 10+ years so not too worried. Might order both just to use the thicker soles for colder months for extra insulation. Much appreciated!

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been wearing vivo shoes and magna forest daily for months now, loving them. I did get a surprise wearing the training shoes on some stairs training, these stairs always smoke my calves but this was the first time in the barefoot shoes and the calves got it even more, several days of sore calves and several more still stiff!

Been looking at the Xero shoes, they have a few waterproof options.

Been looking at the Xero shoes, they have a few waterproof options.
I have had Lems, Xero, and Vivo.

Xero are terrible quality as of 2022, I had to warranty both the pairs I've owned and ended up just throwing them away. Great warranty, but will never buy again since I had a 100% warranty rate.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still cycling in and out of my Crispi’s getting my feet stronger but I am finding the more I wear the ESC the more I like them and they have been surprisingly water resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Yes. I don’t use them often, but I take them with me and if the bolts get soaked through I wear them. More often, it is in real cold conditions and snow, as I wear them while hiking to keep the inside of the boot dry, then dry the waterproof socks out later.

Yes. I don’t use them often, but I take them with me and if the bolts get soaked through I wear them. More often, it is in real cold conditions and snow, as I wear them while hiking to keep the inside of the boot dry, then dry the waterproof socks out later.
What brand and style do you like?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What brand and style do you like?

They might be Showers Pass. These look very similar, except mine are black and grey-

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I have had Lems, Xero, and Vivo.

Xero are terrible quality as of 2022
I can second this. Have 3 pairs of Xero shoes that I got on sale and the sizing is weird on 2 out of the 3. One of the bottoms already separated from the shoe and when I reached out for warranty, they said I could only get a partial credit towards a new pair and even had to pay for shipping.

Lems are amazingly comfortable. Like wearing a pair of slippers. Biggest issue is their traction sucks in mud and ice.

I also have the Feelmax Kuuva boot which is fantastic and has a fully waterproof membrane, but the traction still isn't as good as the tracker esc. This has been my "go to" winter boot up until getting the trackers.

OP
H
I think I'll have to get a pair of waterproof socks for this year's October hunt. It's wet as hell in the Uintas and there's usually a good chance of snow. I've been testing the BAR bergkomfort boots and their stitching and gluing is fantastic, but the leather seems to wet out far too easily. So, I'll probably be switching between those and my fixed up trackers over the next couple of seasons. Waterproof socks will be key for any wet or wet snow cold shoulder season use for both of these boots.

I don't have a picture, but I've put some hard use on the fixed up trackers and they're holding up well so far! I advise doing this immediately when you get them.

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought some waterproof socks off Amazon this spring, worked well, forget the brand but they had good reviews and were cheap, they come up just below the knee.

Weird thing is even though feet stay dry they feel wet inside the soaked boot!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks Form, much appreciated as always.

I am thinking these might be the ticket for coastal PNW hunts with the ESC...along with my inbound Red Kettle and Atlantic Rancher goodies... 😂

Oh snap son. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of all of it.

I've been also doing barefoot shoes for 10+ years so not too worried. Might order both just to use the thicker soles for colder months for extra insulation. Much appreciated!
Looked up the pics from last year and my exchange with John at NorthSole, thought you might be interested.

My redacted email to NorthSole:

Hello John,

...I developed cracks in my insoles on Day 3, see attached images for reference...

They got completely saturated on day 3 (slipped into a creek) and were then hiked in over rough rocky terrain, which is where I suspect the crack developed...

I did not receive an initial response and followed up a week later, to which I received an immediate response. Redacted response:

A crack can develop usually in two different ways: If the insole is bent at ~90° where it meets the boot upper, which kind of looks like your case based on the dark marks on the one side of the crack. The way to solve this is to simply trim the insole so it lays flat on the bottom of the shoe and doesn't bend up.

The other way a crack can occur is if there is a seam on the bottom of the boot, or something else in there that it's rubbing against.

Check these things out and let me know.

I think the first portion of John's response is accurate, ultimately. They are definitely trimmed very true to shape, might be a little big, overhang wise, on the heel for sure, but I like that cup to lock my heel in place.

To be straight up, I have worn these exact insoles pictured for the last 11 months every day working out and around the homestead, and they have not gotten any worse.

In fact, I plan to wear them on my elk hunt next week, cracked and all.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 25