VIAM vs EE Quilt

Blazer0290

Lil-Rokslider
Cant vouch for Viam. but I did use my EE quit this year for first time during 3rd week September CO Archery Elk, after coming from a mummy bag, I don't think I will ever go back. my quilt is 10 degree. long/wide and temp rating seemed right on, got down to high 30's-low 40's at night. Only spent 3 nights in it though,(Killed my Bull the 3rd evening). I used it with just a Borah bivy and x-lite pad, No tent or tarp. I never got cold, actually opened the quilt at night. glad it didn't rain! best part is having a quilt at that temp rating that weighs less than 2#'s. Compress small enough to carry that, my pad, and bivy with a tarp in my day setup just in case I have to spend the night or 3 on the mountain.

dotman

WKR
What does that mean?

Easy....support the companies that pay the bills here to keep the servers on, especially when they pro is outstanding quality for a similar price. Or don't support the sponsors of the website you just posted on, whichever.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does that mean?
What dotman said. When given the opportunity it's always better to support sponsors that help keep this place a float. There's no obligation to of course but if products are similar and price point is comparable, there's no real difficulty making the decision in my book.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to start a fight but when the sponsoring company says they want make you a synthetic quilt rated for lower then the 20* one they sell, then you look elsewhere for what you want/need. I'm not saying they are not a good company by no means, they just don't have what I am looking for.

dotman

WKR
Not trying to start a fight but when the sponsoring company says they want make you a synthetic quilt rated for lower then the 20* one they sell, then you look elsewhere for what you want/need. I'm not saying they are not a good company by no means, they just don't have what I am looking for.

If they don't offer what you want then that is on the sponsor, question is, which company is giving an accurate rating. Maybe see what other companies using the same insulation are rating it at?

OP

Lil-Rokslider
That is what I'm working on now. I will be trying to call some places tomorrow to see what insulation/weight of insulation they use. If it's the same as others, then where is the difference in rating coming from?

dotman

WKR
That is what I'm working on now. I will be trying to call some places tomorrow to see what insulation/weight of insulation they use. If it's the same as others, then where is the difference in rating coming from?

Kifaru might be a good resource.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Possibly from the difference in shell material? Might be minuscule but could be a factor. Perhaps there's a layer of material they aren't advertising. Call them up and ask. One could rate conservatively, the other differently. Even EN ratings have an upper and lower limit.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
I talked with the owner of VIAM today and he will make a 0* quilt. He will be adding it to his website soon and he uses 10 ounce climashield for the 0* quilt. Seems like a very nice guy and was very helpful.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Cool and I would like to hear how your order goes and what you think of your new quilt when it arrives.

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
That's excellent for synthetic zero degree coverage..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk