Venison breakfast sausage

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
was planning on making a big batch of venison breakfast sausage. I usually have always used a pre-made seasoning from cabelas or online but I wanted to make up my own seasoning this time.

What is your favorite recipe for venison breakfast sausage?

Do I need to add in some kind of cure to the meat mixture so that the pork fat doesn't go rancid in the freezer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JFK

WKR
A pretty simple recipe

Ground sage/tablespoon per pound
Salt/teaspoon per pound
Pepper/half teaspoon per pound
Garlic powder/half teaspoon per pound
Red pepper flake/half to full teaspoon per pound depending on personal taste.
Little bit of rosemary and thyme
Maple syrup. Half cup per pound. Brown sugar can also be used but it turns out much better with real maple syrup.

Mix it up and let it sit for at least a few hours to let the flavors blend. Fry up a small piece, and add seasoning if your think it needs more of anything. It probably won’t.

I’ve done this with wild pig, elk and deer and it always turns out great. Have never had any issues with pork fat going rancid but I always make smaller batches that get eaten within 6 months or less.

A pretty simple recipe

Ground sage/tablespoon per pound
Salt/teaspoon per pound
Pepper/half teaspoon per pound
Garlic powder/half teaspoon per pound
Red pepper flake/half to full teaspoon per pound depending on personal taste.
Little bit of rosemary and thyme
Maple syrup. Half cup per pound. Brown sugar can also be used but it turns out much better with real maple syrup.

Mix it up and let it sit for at least a few hours to let the flavors blend. Fry up a small piece, and add seasoning if your think it needs more of anything. It probably won’t.

I’ve done this with wild pig, elk and deer and it always turns out great. Have never had any issues with pork fat going rancid but I always make smaller batches that get eaten within 6 months or less.
What fat % are you adding? I dont add fat to my grind unless I am making sausage so I dont have grind in the freezer with fat in it. If I tried this I would make a large batch and bag in 1/2lb packages.

JFK

WKR
10% is what I add. 20% is what most sausage recipes call for.

Gone4Days

WKR
For breakfast sausage and brats I up the fat to over 30%. Even 20% can get a tad dry and too lean. I like greasy, fatty, artery clogging breakfast sausage and brats.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
For breakfast sausage and brats I up the fat to over 30%. Even 20% can get a tad dry and too lean. I like greasy, fatty, artery clogging breakfast sausage and brats.
Exactly. We make ours at 30% and there is just a small amount of grease in the skillet after frying it.
However, As much as we love venison we make our breakfast sausage using pork butts/shoulders. They average out 70% lean, 30% fat. Buy them on sale for $$.99 a pound.

I use
Salt ,Pepper, Ground Sage and Crushed Red Pepper. I am on a low sodium , low fat dietary plan so I dont add fat to mine. I also use the salt sparingly. I’m cooking some for breakfast right now…

WKR
65/35 venison and pork fat for sausage at our place. I season how I like it, wrap balls of sausage in saran wrap tightly and then vacuum seal. It lasts 6 months easy that way for us.

Waltons has some decent premix. I usually do 40% venison 60% pork

for breakfast I get their Holly regular

JeffP_Or

WKR
Agree with the Bacon Ends and/or Pork Butt for breakfast sausage; I mix at about 30-40%.
I've used the Hi-Mountain premix for seasoning - they have a couple of different breakfast seasonings - since I never write down or remember what "I added last time that was sooo good". :rolleyes: Plus, it is easy to measure out depending on how much grind you end up with since it comes with recommended mix rates in the instructions.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425