Venison Aloo Gosht

TomJoad

WKR
Here is another Sous Vide recipe I worked on last weekend. I used a sous vide for this one but you could also put it in a tightly lidded Dutch oven at the lowest temp you oven can hold abd bring the time down accordingly (250 I would go for 7hrs max). I froze and reserved 1/2 this curry and will be making a biryani with it in a month or two... more to come on that!

MARINADE:
INGREDIENTS:
- 2lbs venison stewing cuts (sub or goat) cut into 1” cubes
- 2-3 green finger chiles (I used serrano chiles), stems removed
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, coarse chop
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarse chop
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chile powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 teaspoons salt

Toast off coriander and cumin seeds in a dry cast iron skillet. Grind to medium fineness with a mortar and pestle (or coffee grinder). Add the finger chiles, garlic, ginger, onions, tomatoes to a food processor and process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl that will hold all the venison and fit in your fridge. Add the yogurt, mint, cilantro, coriander, cumin, chile powder, turmeric and salt, and stir to combine. Add the venison to the bowl and toss to coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

SLOW COOK THE VENISON:

INGREDIENTS:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10-20 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 10 cardamom pods (whole)
- 1 tablespoon garam masala

Take venison out of the fridge, prep sous vide with large pot of water. Add butter and all whole spices to a cast iron skillet and toast in until fragrant. Mix butter and spices into the venison marinade. Vac seal or ziplock marinade for sous vide. Set sous vide for 12 hours at 175 deg. After sous vide this curry will hold in the fridge before finishing or can be finished in 30-45min as time allows. At this point I split this mixture in half, froze half and proceeded to make 1/2 for dinner for 4.

FINISH CURRY:

INGREDIENTS:
- 8 small finger potatoes, 1” cube (sub 3-4 new potatoes)
- fresh spring peas (or frozen out of season)
- salt to taste

Slowly bring venison to simmer in a dutch oven. Once up to temperature drop in potatoes and judiciously salt. Simmer with lid off for 20-30 min depending on potato size stirring occasionally to prevent scalding. Once potatoes are soft add peas and simmer for 4 minutes (0 min for frozen, turn into pot and pull off heat). Make final seasoning adjustment with salt off heat.

ACCOMPANIMENTS:

Fresh Cilantro: coarse chop

Yogurt Sauce: combine the following
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 large clove finely minced garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- generous pinch of salt

Saffron Rice:
Make basmati rice as you would normally but sub 1/2 cup of water for 1/2 milk, warmed gently on stove with 1/8 teaspoon of saffron threads before beginning rice prep.

6BB5B1C2-10B3-46D5-8F6F-BB82A7B52081.jpeg