Vehicle Security Cameras

Finn16

WKR
Anyone using any type of video security in your truck to minimize theft of your contents while you're hunting? The ones I looked at all require wifi so I'm assuming they wouldn't work back in the boonies.

I've never had an issue but the world is changing and my gear is getting more expensive.

swervin91

FNG
Damn something to think about for me as my truck was broken into at a hotel in Vegas... the Silverton last month was just right off the strip. I went up to Utah from San Diego and on my way back stayed for a night, Walking to my truck in the parking lot in the morning another car was broken into and they broke my back window and took my EXO pack, fridge, and jackery charger. Luckily didnt open any doors as they knew the alarm would go off and my binos and pistol were still safe up front on the floor.

I hadn't had such a bad feeling in a long time. Someone truly invading my privacy going out of the way to break my window. My pack was what I was most bummed about with merino shirts and my inreach/holster in there. I wanted to keep that for years and years to come.

Lesson learned I will always Valet when I have the chance at hotels.

Another big one ive done in the past in the open in the country have put an actual trail cam on my camp and turn it on when I head out to hike or away from the truck. I feel like if someone around while out hiking takes your stuff and you see the person or truck you can easily go find them rather than knowing nothing at all.

Weldor

WKR
Motels and Hotels have security cameras does not seem to stop them there. Most of the stuff on here or other forums unfortunatley have a bumper sticker or window stickers advertising bow, guns, etc. Not saying you did just seems to be a common denominator. As far as camps go chances of the cops reconizing any perp is slim, if you can even get them to come out. Sucks that people can't leave other peoples stuff alone. Different times for sure.

stephane

Lil-Rokslider
Look into dash cams that can be set up to detect motion/vibration (typically called ‘parking mode’). You can wire them into a location in your truck that keeps power on with the keys out, and any good brand will have a low voltage cutoff where it shuts the camera off if your vehicle battery is drained too much. You could get a model with forward and reverse facing, then position the cameras however you like. Look into the Viofo cameras, I’ve had one from Amazon for a few years and it’s great.

Last edited:
Some dash cams have multiple cameras that can be place where you want them. They can automatically upload to the cloud, so it they get stolen, you still have the footage. You can also have a hidden video storage, so they are not likely to find it. Lastly, many also are equipped with gps location, broken glass sensor, accident sensor... and a user activated kill switch, via your cell phone. I have a Viper brand on my truck. If anything happens while you're away from your vehicle, your cell gets an alert. However, I am not aware of a system that does not use a cell signal to notify you.

TaperPin

WKR
The days are gone when I used to keep an extra hunting rifle, .22 rifle, and a pistol in the truck parked back at the trailhead, motel, or anywhere. Meth heads know they will most likely get away with it, regardless of the number of cameras, how loud the alarm is, or where it’s parked. I wouldn’t even leave a truck for a week if it had custom rims, brand new tires, or easy to saw off cats. Dipshits break windows for nothing more than sunglasses, so times have changed. All a video gives you is a clip of a dude in a mask and hoodie driving a car with covered up plates, waving goodbye.

It used to be meth heads weren’t in rural areas, but they are everywhere - even your innocent looking young relative in high school has a good chance of being hooked on Oxy that started from grandma’s medicine cabinet and will do what it takes to afford another fix. In construction I run off a lot of addicts who look like church choir boys and come from respectable families that I have serious doubts about the amount of brain cells in the average young boy. I’m also surprised by the number of adults that can’t recognize someone on oxy/heroin, or meth unless they have the junkie walk or can’t function.

Just talking about it pisses me off - I’m done - going to yell at kids walking across the lawn to blow off steam! Little fockers.

archp625

WKR
I had this thought here recently. I used to duck hunt a bunch on Missouri Conservation land. To get a good spot you had to wake up super early and hang out to see if you got drawn. The amount of duck deocys that got stolen out of the back of peoples trucks was wild. I'm wondering how one of the new cell game cameras would work out for that situation?

swervin91

FNG
I had this thought here recently. I used to duck hunt a bunch on Missouri Conservation land. To get a good spot you had to wake up super early and hang out to see if you got drawn. The amount of duck deocys that got stolen out of the back of peoples trucks was wild. I'm wondering how one of the new cell game cameras would work out for that situation?
I have one cell camera from stealth cam I had in the field all last year. It works great but honestly you do get it a few minutes later if you have service that is, If you dont have service then it comes to you when you get service next.

Naaate

FNG
I'll hide a trailcam looking at my truck for at least some peace of mind while out. used to over-pack and leave a lot of gear in the truck and just not doing that anymore. Can't rely on cellular cameras where I hunt and fish usually.