Vahalla or Tiburon?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, but not at great length as they were a friends. I tested the material in the house/gym more than anything (drying, stretch, breath ability).

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Would be great to see a video review of the Kryptek Borealis when someone gets one. I like the Borealis concept for sure. Good thread. Thanks. Older sitka and KUIU have worked well. Nice to have so many options out there.

cmeier117

WKR
I will have the following gear next week hopefully. And I can way in on.

Merino top
Helios top
Borealis top
Kratos puffy
Koldo rain jacket
Alios pants

I had no input in design and have never seen any of it. I can weigh in as soon as I get the gear.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will post up a general video on the Borealis pretty soon. We're heading out to the NW Rondy Thursday, but I'll try and get it up before then.

RobD

Banned
Please do your homework, buy the Kryptek stuff and test it. THEN AND ONLY THEN can you have an honest opinion about what is better. PERIOD!

Sorry Aron, but according to armyjoe your opinion only matters if you buy the Kuiu gear and "put it through the ringer yourself". Does wearing it around the house count? Haha I doubt Aron is going to buy Kuiu gear and put it through the ringer as he helped to design the Kryptek gear and is on their pro staff.

I would love to see pictures of Aron in the Tiburon gear!

armyjoe are you affiliated with Kryptek too? Just curious because you said you got your gear for free?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
RobD
Tradbow
Bowbob

Just for the sake of argument. Do you guys work together or are you the same person? All of your IPs are the same. It would be real shady if you guy are the same person!

Daniel_M

WKR
I can weigh in on the Koldo rain pants. For being 6ft4 I didn't need them in "long". I like when the pant cuff rides on the boot and doesn't drag the ground. The XL had a good fit and didnt bind up when squatting, kneeling or lifting legs.

Sherpa Shirt is gonna be a good mid layer on cold float hunt days, will pair well with the Kratos jacket. I don't much care for a thick outer layer, my preference is a base, insulation and outer shell.

That and I just look plain dead sexy in Highlander.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you read through my responses, I don't have an opinion on the Tiburon,so I'm not sure you can use that as an argument.

And you're right, I'm not going to buy Kuiu gear, but I just said that they were my friends, so it sounds like you're grasping for straws.

ArmyJoe is a good friend of mine, but that should be obvious to everyone.....we just posted a video of our scouting trip. I gave him a deal on the pants to try out for the year,but he was honest and announced that ahead of time. I would say that YOU are the only person being dishonest in this thread, as everyone knows who we are.

Could you announce who you are and what affiliation you have with KUIU?

It sure seems like YOU, TRADBOW, BOWBOB and the late SHOOTTOKILL have an affiliation with Kuiu and only come on Rokslide to cause trouble! All of your IP adresses have some crazy similarities as well. It would really be interesting if TradBow ended up being Shoottokill, since that guy put a lot of effort into bashing me!

I'm being up front with everyone, so all of you should do the same! In fact, YOU THREE are the only members on this thread that are not known by others.

So start giving up some info fellas! Otherwise everyone is going to think that you're "plants" from Kuiu, and I doubt Jason would want that!

Again, all I'm doing is talking about a product that I helped design, from a company that I believe in! I don't talk negatively about other companies and you can check all my posts.

I really don't have time to play childish games like this, so you'll be banned by noon if you can't explain why all of your IP addreses are the same!

Sorry Aron, but according to armyjoe your opinion only matters if you buy the Kuiu gear and "put it through the ringer yourself". Does wearing it around the house count? Haha I doubt Aron is going to buy Kuiu gear and put it through the ringer as he helped to design the Kryptek gear and is on their pro staff.

I would love to see pictures of Aron in the Tiburon gear!

armyjoe are you affiliated with Kryptek too? Just curious because you said you got your gear for free?

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wow this crap is getting old. ^^^

I'm glad the mods at Rokslide don't put up with this crap all the time.

The OP asked for opinions and info on a couple pairs of pants. Aron has added some good info.

bbrown

WKR
Thanks for weedin' out the trash Ryan and Aron - its the reason Rokslide is the only forum I visit regularly.

cmeier117

WKR
To get back on topic here, those with the Tiburon pants have any of your gotten any rips or anything with them yet? How is the durability so far?

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
To get back on topic here, those with the Tiburon pants have any of your gotten any rips or anything with them yet? How is the durability so far?

I probably have only about 10-12 hours of total wear time in my Tiburon pants, but I was impressed at the durability so far (if that can be tested in that short amount of time). I've taken them through some fairly thick stuff (pinyon pine and juniper (alive and deadfall), as well as scraping it against limestone rocks/cliffs) on a couple of hikes I did and they didn't snag and I remember a couple of specific times where a branch caught and tugged at them hard enough to scrape skin, but the fabric wasn't affected.

I haven't tried them in cat claw or the like yet. That will be the true test of durability down here in AZ. I've snagged my attack pants and sitka pants several times on some of the more prickly vegetation here in AZ. (On a side note, my KUIU Yukon gaiters (1st Gen) did great down south on coues hunts in some thick, nasty country. They didn't show any snags/scratches where I mistakenly wore merino and suffered several snags and holes that same day.) Best pants I've found for coues hunts are double faced carhartts or upland faced pants, but those are cotton, warm, heavy, and no stretch.

Juan_ID

WKR
I have got a couple small holes in the ass... I guess I drag ass too much! ;) Haha, but I think it's from me sitting on the rocks that I sit on on a regular basis while glassing and not being careful enough when moving or gettin up/down... Other than that I have pulled a few threads in the shin area walking through brush and such but I expected that... And that's with 8 trips, ~12 hours of total wear time. So I guess to answer the question, they're not quite as durable as I was hoping.

MattB

WKR

I haven't worn mine enough to comment definitively, but I think that durability of the material will be better than one would think given how light it is. I leave for the NWT in 7 days and these will be 1 of 2 pr. of pants that I am bringing, so I should have some field experience to report in about 3 weeks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I have used them on 1 overnighter and 4 pretty long day trips. They have been through some very nasty dead fall. No rips or tears, very impressed so far.

MattB

WKR
I haven't tried them in cat claw or the like yet. That will be the true test of durability down here in AZ. I've snagged my attack pants and sitka pants several times on some of the more prickly vegetation here in AZ.

I still dearly love my original Sitka Mountain Pants, but between catclaw and saw palmettos I have one pair that looks like it is part of a ghillie suit.