Vacuum sealing burger bags

OP
Spoony

Spoony

FNG
Ok. So I bought a chamber sealer, vac master vp215, and tried sealing a burger bag. I needed to dial down the seal time but it worked fantastic. Burger bags are much thinner than my vac bags. I’ll do about 100 lbs of burger with hog rings, I should be able to go through that in a year, then the rest I’ll vacuum seal for good measure. I can fit 2, maybe 3, in the chamber at a time.

Though using vac bags for grind works well, and yes they can be flattened to stack better, the excess plastic skirt around the grind is annoying and does take up some space, even with the smaller bags. I was able to flatten the burger bags a bit and I don’t think I’ll ever use a vac bag for grind again.

OP
Spoony

Spoony

FNG
This right here could not be more true! 8x10 bags in your chamber sealer. You can load them however full you want up to 2 lbs. of burger. Flatten them out after you seal them. They stack great in the freezer on the shelves or like NRA mentioned fit in boxes inside regular sized boxes so they don't slide around after freezing. Another huge pro is they thaw fast and evenly when you want to pull some out last minute. I do all my bulk sausage this way as well anymore.

For those of you here that don't have a vacuum chamber sealer yet... don't ever wait on that purchase. Best tool for processing there is.
I just bought a chamber sealer. I can’t believe how much better and faster it works. I waited about 10 years too long. Every big game hunter needs one.

cb2176

FNG
I own a couple vacuum sealers. They do the job... but I really wish I had a Chamber sealer. One day, one day....

Our chamber sealer, a one year old Avid Armor Ultra is bulky and heavy to store and move...wouldn't want to take it on a hunt. It is noisy as heck, about like my air compressor. It is very slow as it takes 50 seconds to seal a package. It "boils" soup unless it the soup is very cold coming out of the refrigerator prior to sealing. It also cost 3 or 4 times what our vacuum sealer did. Other than that it might be OK, time will tell.

The chamber sealer we have will certainly will never replace our vacuum sealer. Our first vacuum sealer (Cabelas) lasted 20 years, and the cheap Food Saver we have now is on its 3rd year. They are very compact to take along on a hunt with a bunch of pre-made bags, cutting board, chest freezer and generator to process your own meat prior to heading home.

Lots of good info on burger packaging and storing in vacuum sealer bags...1 to 2 pounds, flattened out after it is sealed. I would suggest getting stainless steel mesh boxes (freezes the meat quickly due to air circulation, and they are more durable if they freeze to the shelf. Buy 'em from a container store....sized to optimize freezer shelf storage capacity. Makes a big difference in what you can fit in. Add plastic tags to each box showing burger, steak, roast, etc and it minimizes how long the freezer door is open when you go in to grab meat.