Utility trailer

Looking to purchase an utility trailer for my UTV & to complete tasks around the house.

I have two particulars trailers in mind. Is Aluminum worth paying the extra money for? $1,400 price difference between the two..

gumbl3

WKR
IMO the only that that's gonna happen to trailers is they're gonna get tore up. I've broke an axle and burned up a wheel hub one night. Next day I cut it off, had the new one welding on before lunch. Had it been aluminum would have been up the creek. Aluminum is nice and pretty, and light.. but there's a truck with an arc welder on it every 5 miles going down the road

No way I'd go aluminum for a utility trailer.

Granted, I'm harder on things than most people.

But utility trailers see as much abuse as they do use. Steel is tougher, and easier to repair.

If it was gonna be a dedicated hauler for a sxs, sure aluminum. But not something that will see general utility use.

Tod osier

WKR
Looking to purchase an utility trailer for my UTV & to complete tasks around the house.

I have two particulars trailers in mind. Is Aluminum worth paying the extra money for? $1,400 price difference between the two..

Have a very similar Big Tex and really like it (or really, really liked it). It absolutely rusted to hell on the underside (sheet metal trims rotted out in the rear, just really rusted bad anywhere that can't be seen - wasn't painted). It is garage kept and we don't use it in the winter (so I'm hard pressed to understand why the extent of the rust). I'd buy one again, but I'd for sure hit it with something like fluid film right out of the gate in all the nooks and crannies.

Everyone has different needs. When I was looking at buying mine, I went with a custom built one. I didn’t want the big ramps, as I pull it with a Tahoe and those are like having a sail on the back. Really creates drag. I had mine built with removable ramps on the front corners and had a built a little wider than most so I can load an ATV sideways on the front. Then use the ramps to load one on long way from the back.

We also use it now for hauling mattresses for a local company here and it is the perfect width and length. I went 12’ long with tandem axles and I believe 72” wide but that may not be correct. We love it and it has paid for itself many times over.

WCB

WKR
Depends on what the utility needs are. IMO I hate the ramps on the steel trailers as the warp and need to be fixed or reinforced. Other than that 99% of people wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference and it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

Holly Molly on the price of trailers these days. I had custom dove tail 6.5x12 built a dozen years ago for $800 out the door. Crazy.

I don’t think aluminum is worth the money, especially welded and not riveted.

My only advice is try to find one with fold out ramp, as the tall ramp catches a lot of wind. The half fold out doesn’t.

cnelk

WKR
I have a 1996 Big Tex 10’ utility trailer. It’s been awesome over the years.
I recently sanded/ground down the frame and put a new coat of oil base paint on it.

I would recommend to ditch the factory tires and get some good trailer tires

9FCFD787-E84D-4D81-A40C-932D55C8A291.jpeg

12' PJ trailer is what I use.. no complaints at all!

edit: I guess you could maybe get one used for $1400. I had no idea they cost as much as they do until I just looked!

OP
Thanks Y’all. I’ve come to the conclusion that steel would better suit our needs. I’m currently looking at these two trailers.. Our local dealer sells Big Tex & PJ trailers and he highly recommended the PJ over the Big Tex. Not familiar with Lamar but looks like a decent trailer. Thoughts ?

gearguywb

WKR
I have had both the steel and the Aluma. Currently have the Aluma for going on 7 years. For me, it is a better choice.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
As others said, depending on your use aluminum should be fine. If its within your budget, you may want to consider a tandem axle trailer. More money, but the benefits may be worth it. Good luck!

Jbehredt

WKR
No aluminum. I spent good money on a new Aluma to haul my SxS and it lasted 4 years before the dealer agreed to buy it back. Both fenders hand broken welds more than once. No roadside repair on those. Had to finish breaking one off and drive home fenderless once. My tailgate has the scars to prove it. The deck cracked and Alumas solution was angle brackets welded on. Several braces underneath were cracking. Worst it ever saw was long trips on dirt roads.