Used Tires?

Rich M

WKR
I wouldnt buy used. With new you’ve got good rubber and can go after dealer/mfr if there is a problem.

The only time i change tires is when they exceed their normal life. Gonna be getting new tires soon, old ones look fine but have 60,000 miles.

Marble

WKR
"New Take Off" used tires I would be fine with. But nothing that has visible signs of wear or is old at all.

There are guys that buy new trucks that turn around and buy an entire set of new wheels and tires. I would consider those. But anything worn, and I wouldn't.

I have been to a lot of accidents where tire failure led to the accident.

It isn't enough money to make a difference in my day to day expenses, and I don't want to have unnecessary worry when traveling.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

AZ8

WKR
Not directed at anyone on this thread, but never understood going cheap on the one piece of equipment that has a direct impact on your safety/life.

It’s the one vehicle expense I never compromise with.

Weldor

WKR
I always check with the local tire shops for recent new take offs. Like said above guys buy a new rig and drive over to Discount tire for new tires and rims. I've bought week old tire and rims many times all new within a week of leaveing the car lot. Most tires on new vehicles are almost a year old anyways. I run the stock rims and tires around town and save my AT's for hunting season. The desert is hard on tires, always watch for wear or dry rot. I've had to buy new tires because my new tires dry rotted. I only drive 6000 to 8000 a year on that rig. the rest of the time it is in the garage.

Hydra6

FNG
I am running "used" tires on my Ram 1500 right now. Found on FB marketplace. Bought from individual who wanted more aggressive tread pattern. Yes, checked date code. Grown son did same thing with his F150 but he got from local tire store - same story, new truck buyer immediately went to tire store and got more aggressive pattern.

TxAgHntr

FNG
If you have a contact at a dealership, see if they will keep an eye out for some take-offs. I did this with a platinum f250 to my XLT f250 and had good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waitup

FNG
I tried used once. Got a tire tumor while going 70 mph. Thankfully I got pulled over and changed it before it blew.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a Grand Cherokee, I added some Bilstein shocks to takt the rake out, have been buying sets of 5 take off wheel and tires from Wranglers, none had more than a few hundred miles on them.

I would never buy tires with any amount of miles on them unless it was for a truck that never left a ranch or something.

7mm-08

WKR
New tires or "take-offs" for me only. My dad used to buy used tires from junk yards and random individuals and he had decent luck with them. I'm more conservative than that. And, he was never in remote places where a flat can be a real pain in the butt.

7mm-08

WKR
New tires or "take-offs" for me only. My dad used to buy used tires from junk yards and random individuals and he had decent luck with them. I'm more conservative than that. And, he was never in remote places where a flat can be a real pain in the butt.

I've bought plenty of used tires as "hold me over" till i get some extra cash to afford it. Check manfacturing date,. You don't want anything older than 6 years. inspect the insides for plugs. i wouldn't worry about patches since they don't pull out.

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Used rubbers of any kind aren’t adviseable….. all kidding aside, the only time I bought a used tire was for a full sized spare. I’d just bite the bullet and get some from discount tire since they have. A good replacement policy

elkliver

WKR
I see above that Doc Holiday is suggesting 6 years as the cutoff. Any other feedback on how old is too old?

There was a time where used tires were the only option I had. They always worked well for me.. although as long as they held air I was happy.

Ive bought a couple sets of wheels that had tires on them. They worked well.

Heck Ive even bought a couple used pickups that had tires on them, and they worked just fine:ROFLMAO:

Dcoryn

FNG
I bought a set of take offs with 2-300 miles on them from my work, we put new MT's on everything. I paid a crisp $100 bill for all 4 and paid another $136 to mount/balance them and dispose of my old tires. 4 "new" tires out the door for $236. I don't care how long they last at that price. They are fairly aggressive firestones and came off a 2023 dodge 2500 and went on a 2021 f-150