Used Tires?

TX_Diver

WKR
Tire shopping for my Ram 1500 again... 275/65r20 most likely.

Has anyone bought used tires? Am I crazy for even considering it?

In 2020 when the original highway tires gave up I lucked out and found a set of 4 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3s for $500 mounted from a shop in WY! they were take-offs from another truck that someone wanted to put MTs on. They had probably <50 miles on them or so and were from a reputable shop so we made a deal and I've been happy with them.

Shopping around a bit now it looks like a new set would be ~$1600 whether I go with the same tires or Toyo Open Country AT3s which is the other tire I'm considering.

Looking on facebook marketplace there are lots of used tires. Most look like junk but there are some that seem like decent options. One set of Toyos with 8k miles that the guy bought locally a year ago for $600 is tempting.

Until 2020 I'd always just bought new tires from a shop, but with the current cost I'm just curious what the consensus and experience from you guys is?

BigAl!

WKR
I think there are some good deals on used tires to be had. As Jason said, be sure you check the date and ask questions about punctures and patches. If there are any, they're probably just fine as long as they were professional repaired. A puncture in the sidewall is different though, and would be a hard pass.

I sold a set of 5 Toyo AT3 in 37x12.5r18 for $300 with 10/32 tread. 3 years old. I could not get them to move and almost took them to get disposed of.

TxLite

WKR
Idk, I’ve got a set of unbalancable nittos that are fixing to hit fb marketplace lol

S.Clancy

WKR
Tire shopping for my Ram 1500 again... 275/65r20 most likely.

Has anyone bought used tires? Am I crazy for even considering it?

In 2020 when the original highway tires gave up I lucked out and found a set of 4 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3s for $500 mounted from a shop in WY! they were take-offs from another truck that someone wanted to put MTs on. They had probably <50 miles on them or so and were from a reputable shop so we made a deal and I've been happy with them.

Shopping around a bit now it looks like a new set would be ~$1600 whether I go with the same tires or Toyo Open Country AT3s which is the other tire I'm considering.

Looking on facebook marketplace there are lots of used tires. Most look like junk but there are some that seem like decent options. One set of Toyos with 8k miles that the guy bought locally a year ago for $600 is tempting.

Until 2020 I'd always just bought new tires from a shop, but with the current cost I'm just curious what the consensus and experience from you guys is?

Been using these tires on a couple different vehicles for the last couple years. So far, they have been awesome. My brother got over 70K on a set before he sold the truck they were on. We have them on both our rigs, a 97' F-350 and a 2012 Tundra.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set on Monday and will have 1000 miles by Sunday. So far so good. Even new tires aren't a guarantee, all about how risk averse you see yourself

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After I got my Tundra I found a set of spare aluminum rims that I wanted for $400 on Craigslist. When I got there the guy had all four original Michelin LTX tires off his 2021 Tundra when he put on custom rims and larger tires. So I got the rims and four essentially new Michelins for $500. I've had them on my truck since April, and just switched back to the identical rims that came with my truck and the E-range BF Goodrich KO2's that were on it when I bought it......for some scouting and hunting season. I'll run those Michelins on the highway and around town every summer until they need replacing.

grfox92

WKR
I bought a brand new set of 4x Hancock AT2s on Facebook marketplace for $100. The guy bought a truck and immediately got rims and tires. It's a work truck, but I see these deals every now and the on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve had great luck buying near new tires for $.25 on the dollar, but you have to be careful. All the tires need to have a newish date code - my father in law just had a blowout a few months back with 80% tread - they were just old. I’d look carefully that all the tires haven’t been run flat, and they better all match in wear or the vehicle they came off of might have been in a wreck and an extra was substituted in. I also won’t buy used tires from someone who’s a motor head, or who didn’t buy them new and have a convincing story.

Right now I have two full sets of Toyo’s with the nubs still intact that were for vehicles that ended up getting traded. I can only keep them so long before they are worthless so they will get sold soon for pretty cheap and someone will get a great deal.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR

Been using these tires on a couple different vehicles for the last couple years. So far, they have been awesome. My brother got over 70K on a set before he sold the truck they were on. We have them on both our rigs, a 97' F-350 and a 2012 Tundra.
Which set?

I’ve got 50k on the revo3s and they’ve got some tread left but are starting to show some dry rot on the sides so I’d like to replace them before hunting season.
I’ve had great luck buying near new tires for $.25 on the dollar, but you have to be careful. All the tires need to have a newish date code - my father in law just had a blowout a few months back with 80% tread - they were just old. I’d look carefully that all the tires haven’t been run flat, and they better all match in wear or the vehicle they came off of might have been in a wreck and an extra was substituted in. I also won’t buy used tires from someone who’s a motor head, or who didn’t buy them new and have a convincing story.

Right now I have two full sets of Toyo’s with the nubs still intact that were for vehicles that ended up getting traded. I can only keep them so long before they are worthless so they will get sold soon for pretty cheap and someone will get a great deal.

What tire and size?

The ones locally the guy says he bought new and he has them on his truck currently. As long as he got them at one of the more reputable local shops I’d be tempted to meet him there and also get them checked out by someone there too.

S.Clancy

WKR
Which set?

I’ve got 50k on the revo3s and they’ve got some tread left but are starting to show some dry rot on the sides so I’d like to replace them before hunting season.
You gotta click on the "Robot or Human" link, but they are Lexani Terrain Beast AT. E rated tires, like 160-165$ at Wally World a piece.

Sea Rover

FNG
I wouldn’t take a chance on used tires even with a newer date code. I did when I was younger and 3 blowouts later finally learned my lesson. Only new ties for me!

Used tires?
I've made a gazillion (?) miles on used tires, thanks to Perry Bishop and Homer White!
The only way I could afford "new" tires was "Owen's Tires" recaps and a tractor dealership that sold rejects that were branded "Farm Use Only"!

John Meyer also provided quite a few "used" tires!

JEck

WKR
Just bought a set of brand new Hankook Dynapro’s for $500 off of eBay, came from three different places but all showed up on the same day. Seems to be quite a few single tires for sale that you could piece a set together with if you look hard enough.

Bcleck90

WKR
Buy new or like new. No way I’d take a chance on unknown, used tires. I hate buying tires but always feel better after buying them.

I bought a used tire from a website, bestusedtires.com, I think it was.

I needed a match with correct tread depth. The tire worked fine, no problems.