Upland shotguns

Tradchef

WKR
I was wanting see some suggestions on middle of the road upland shotguns. I’ve always used my old pump and it always works just fine. I’d like to get an O/U but have been out of the shotgun market for quite some time. What are some decent ones to check out?

Scott

Wrench

WKR
What's "middle of the road" to you? We talking between mossberg and Purdey or a dollar figure?

CZs are great for the money. I went with a Ruger Red Label because I like the look, but it is super heavy compared to a Browning Citori or something.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
What's "middle of the road" to you? We talking between mossberg and Purdey or a dollar figure?
Probably dollar figure. Mainly because I spend most of the time with my longbows but it sure is nice to hunt some birds now and again. I don’t want a piece of junk but don’t need the best. Just a good shooter with decent weight that swings relatively well.

Last edited:
I started doing a bit more shotgunning during Covid. Lots of guys run browning or beretta. Buy once, cry once. They are going to be $2k to get into. A friend shoots a CZ. It was doing fine until something broke. Proprietary tool to take the stock off. Back to CZ. 4 months to get it back. Sample of one but that seemed frustrating. I have been tempted to go over and under but have stuck with my old benellI M2. I just goes boom and it covers all my shotgunning from duck to upland + It does it’s part on sporting clays ans skeet. they have gotten pricey lately but they are closer to $1k.

having said all that, I am and Indian over arrow guy. I have seen plenty of birds downed with vintage gear. A guide I used to hunt with had a beat up 20 gauge 870. I shot a 1980s 1100 before I picked up my Benelli. My dad used an old savage OU. I guess i am stating the obvious, but it less the gun and more time behind the trigger and in the field.

I have been tempted to go over and under but have stuck with my old benellI M2.
One of my favorite things about hunting with an over and under is the safety factor of knowing that a gun is unloaded/unable to fire. I've been hunting with a lot of folks that use pumps or semi autos and they piss and moan about unloading the two shells from their magazine to jump in the truck to run to another public access spot. I've also seen some get tickets for not doing it.

I really like when guys are just covering ground or wandering in the parking area/etc. and I can see the guns broken open.

Austink47

WKR
Like mentioned above fit is everything. My favorite test is to look at a target, close your eyes don’t move your head and shoulder the gun. Open your eyes the gun that is constantly pointing on target is the one for you. Several that I recommended are the CZ, Ruger red label, Miroku also made a clone of the browning citori that was/is a great value. Double guns are tried and old tech all of the respected brands make a good gun, just find the one that speaks to you.

Superdoo

WKR
I bird hunt at least once a week. It's been that way for nearly ten years. I have debated for several years about getting a dedicated upland gun now that I could potentially afford it. It seems every year before hunting season starts I get the itch and down the rabbit hole of research I go.
So far in all the years I've contemplated it, I end up coming to the same conclusion... My Stoeger M3500 has performed flawlessly in every bird hunting application with the exception of the beginning of dove season (because it only gets cleaned once a year). The Stoeger also has the advantage of going from a Pheasant gun to a goose gun mid hunt by simply switching the shells. That has been quite handy on more than a few occasions.

Everything said above about the issues with break barrel guns is true. You spend good money and hope you don't have any issues or you can spend a ridiculous amount and pray you don't mar the finish. Either way, I think I'd still miss my sling. :cool:

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I started doing a bit more shotgunning during Covid. Lots of guys run browning or beretta. Buy once, cry once. They are going to be $2k to get into. A friend shoots a CZ. It was doing fine until something broke. Proprietary tool to take the stock off. Back to CZ. 4 months to get it back. Sample of one but that seemed frustrating. I have been tempted to go over and under but have stuck with my old benellI M2. I just goes boom and it covers all my shotgunning from duck to upland + It does it’s part on sporting clays ans skeet. they have gotten pricey lately but they are closer to $1k.

having said all that, I am and Indian over arrow guy. I have seen plenty of birds downed with vintage gear. A guide I used to hunt with had a beat up 20 gauge 870. I shot a 1980s 1100 before I picked up my Benelli. My dad used an old savage OU. I guess i am stating the obvious, but it less the gun and more time behind the trigger and in the field.
I agree 100%. My pump is the same I’ve had since I was 15. I’ve rebuilt the slide twice but it still hammers. I’d honestly just like a new shotgun. I could care less if it’s new or used. A buddy of mine I used to upland with was a news reporter back from the Lebanon era of wartime. He bought a few side by side over there and shipped them back. Re did them dirt cheap and man were they outstanding. So yeah…. My shotgun is 33 years old and going strong. I just want an O/U

I bird hunt at least once a week. It's been that way for nearly ten years. I have debated for several years about getting a dedicated upland gun now that I could potentially afford it. It seems every year before hunting season starts I get the itch and down the rabbit hole of research I go.
So far in all the years I've contemplated it, I end up coming to the same conclusion... My Stoeger M3500 has performed flawlessly in every bird hunting application with the exception of the beginning of dove season (because it only gets cleaned once a year). The Stoeger also has the advantage of going from a Pheasant gun to a goose gun mid hunt by simply switching the shells. That has been quite handy on more than a few occasions.

Everything said above about the issues with break barrel guns is true. You spend good money and hope you don't have any issues or you can spend a ridiculous amount and pray you don't mar the finish. Either way, I think I'd still miss my sling. :cool:
I don’t worry about hunting them.
That’s what they’re for.
What I tell my son is if you have marks from hunting, they’re memories…if you have marks from careless handling or lazy cleaning, it’s a lesson.
Citori Gran Lightnings with Grade 6 wood.

O/U I would go Yildiz or CZ unless you just wanna spend a bunch of money!

That said I like an Autoloader, for upland buying new I would look at a Benelli Ultra Light!
I went CZ sharp tail S/S two years ago because I loved the style, I largely chase chukar and other birds in the mtns and I end up with my Franchi affinity the bulk of the time because I want a lighter gun with a third shot. I wish I bought the affinity first and saved the money, instead I’ve purchased three shotguns in three years and I now feel set, 20ga cz, and a 20 & 12 ga affinities

jayhawk

WKR
When buying an O/U or double, it's helpful to think of it as buying almost two guns. Two barrels, sears, triggers (sometimes), etc. So $1500 is not a lot to spend on a quality O/U. You can pick up some pretty good deals on used guns in forums like this one and other shotgun forums. Or even pawn shops and local gun stores

WCB

WKR
CZ are nice...We have 5 of the Stevens 555 (couple 20s, 28s, and a .410) I believe as light as really any O/U on the market at a fraction of the cost. Fit and finish is good. They point really well and we have had zero issues through 1,000s of rounds with them.