Upland shotguns

In your research, If you find the Browning or Winchester 101 fits you well, look into the B.C. Miroku’s imported by Charles Daly in the late 60’s through early 70”s. They can be had for sub 1K and are, in my opinion, high quality and beautiful.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely love my beretta a400. Shot everything from doves to ducks to quail to turkeys with it and never had any issues. Heck, I have even run over it and it still hasnt caused a single problem. Its not cheap, but I don't think I will have to get another one for a long, long time if ever.

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
CZ Drake, great gun for the money and you don’t have to cry when you bump against a branch in the field.

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
I've got both ends of the spectrum for Upland Guns and both 16 Gauge. I just love the 16 Gauge over using my 12 Gauge Waterfowl Gun. You get all the stopping power with a real nice weight savings. When you are walking fields all day it makes a big difference for me anyway. I have a Remington 870 semi-auto on the value side of the coin and Browning Citori O/U on the other. I've had that 870 for 20 Years and just love it. Super reliable and always seem to need more than 2 shots. lol. The only issue I run into is finding 16 Gauge Shells at times. I just stock up when I find it.

I've got both ends of the spectrum for Upland Guns and both 16 Gauge. I just love the 16 Gauge over using my 12 Gauge Waterfowl Gun. You get all the stopping power with a real nice weight savings. When you are walking fields all day it makes a big difference for me anyway. I have a Remington 870 semi-auto on the value side of the coin and Browning Citori O/U on the other. I've had that 870 for 20 Years and just love it. Super reliable and always seem to need more than 2 shots. lol. The only issue I run into is finding 16 Gauge Shells at times. I just stock up when I find it.
I just started noticing more availability of 16 ga shells again. I had some alerts set up with different retail outlets and started being able to buy more last month.

Bluefish

WKR
Cheap o/u and sxs are just that cheap. I have a stoeger and it’s horrible. Easily 6” between point of impact between the two barrels. But it’s a sass gun, so sort range and big targets. It also gets beat around, so it’s ok for that use.
my trap gun is a 682 beretta which is about 10x the cost. It shoots great and will last when shooting 5k per year.

somewhere in the middle is the cz’s and yildiz. Used can be a more reasonable option, ie fox or savage. Semi autos will always be cheaper as they are Easier to make. You can get a lot of decent semis for under $1k. Top end semis will be about the price of a good entry level o/u, ie browning or beretta. Used to be you could get an ugabetcha for about $2k for a nice entry level sxs, now you will be $3k+.

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 2 CZs, one an Upland Sterling in 12ga and a Canvasback in 20. I bought the Upland Sterling with the intention of using mostly for trap/skeet but also some field use. Not a great gun for trap/skeet, kind of punishing to shoot. Then when I took it into the field I learned that it had a way of doubling, something I didn't notice during trap doubles. CZ ended up replacing it but in the meantime I moved on to a Browning Cynergy CX and couldn't be happier. Very comfy to shoot and has been 100% reliable for quite a few years.

The Canvasback has actually been great and I often take it along with me when I'm on a hunting trip for other things - reason is it only cost me $500, no big deal if it gets dented or dinged. I've since bought a couple more Brownings in 20ga - a Cynergy Field and a Miroku Magnum 20 with removable chokes. The Brownings are much nicer than the Canvasback, but the Canvasback probably gets taken out more.

Regardless of brand, you should probably consider something other than a 12ga.

Last edited:

Kade206

FNG
Great feedback on this. I've been debating about using my nice clay o/u for upland (only shotgun) or getting a field gun that I shoot less but is lighter and cheaper. I'm leaning toward a second gun if for nothing else it can be a trap day loaner.

JjamesIII

WKR
I was wanting see some suggestions on middle of the road upland shotguns. I’ve always used my old pump and it always works just fine. I’d like to get an O/U but have been out of the shotgun market for quite some time. What are some decent ones to check out?

Scott
Browning, guerini, or berretta- whichever fits you best. That’s the most important thing. What works for one guy may not work for you. Without proper fitting, no matter how pretty the gun is, you’ll not like it. Go to a place where they have a variety of guns to demo, even if it’s a drive because it will be time well spent. I wanted to like a berretta I had my eyes on, alas, I couldn’t hit clays worth a damn with it like my browning gran lightning, so I had to pass.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a browning cynergy feather and love it.
When I go back to Wis. for grouse and Pheasant season, I have access to and use that very shotgun. I really like it, but I have always been a Ruger Red label kind of guy. I have one each in 12 and 20 gauge.

WKR
I found a Browning O/U Lightning 16 gauge new with rebates getting price down to $1450 about 4 or so years ago. Thinking it would bring $1800-$1900 now as a used gun. Point being if you buy a quality gun and care for it, it may not really be an expense.

I use a Franchi Affinity 12 ga for heavy cover or duck hunting days.

jjwise97

FNG
If I wanted an O/U for a little less than a Citori or 686, I’d go for a Franchi Instinct. Still made in Italy, and though I’ve never shot their O/Us I’ve had excellent results with their semiautos

Personally though I like autos and SxS guns. You can find some good older SxS guns for a deal if you look around. I mainly use my A400 Xtreme for duck hunting but I’d love to get an A400 Upland for doves and occasional quail.

Tim_VT

FNG
I have a CZ drake that I really liked and worked flawlessly for the season I used it, I probably put a few hundred rounds through it shooting clays in the summer/being fortunate to hunt 3ish days a week during the season.

If you're set on an O/U or side by side I would highly recommend Merkel. I would definitely buy used too - and have had pretty good success with Cabela's and a lot of patience. Now days I've migrated to a Benelli Ultralight for almost all of my bird hunting (I prefer it to the Ethos as well) - it's an excellent shotgun if you're looking for an automatic.