Upland shotguns

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I like a double gun (O/U or SXS) if for no other reason than that you can capture the spent shells in your hand and not spew them all over the place as you shoot. As far as gauge choice, a 20ga is a solid choice.

CA_Gopher

FNG
I have a Franchi Instinct LX 20 gauge that I use for just about anything (quail, dove, waterfowl, squirrels) and I love it. I would consider it middle of the road in pricing but it still feels like a quality piece and is light in the hands and a joy to swing with.

Browning Citori O/U 20ga Straight English Stock. Light and fast, great upland gun in my opinion. You can find them used for a decent price.

Not a double gun but I bought a CZ compact last year. I took one shot and blew it up. Cracked stock, bent magazine and some other damage. They took it for warranty and told me it wasn’t for hunting loads. Strange since it’s marketed for hunting. One and done safe queen.
You may look for a Beretta Essential used. Sweet double gun that can be found well under $1000. Good luck.

jmrgr

FNG
Classified Approved
I was wanting see some suggestions on middle of the road upland shotguns. I’ve always used my old pump and it always works just fine. I’d like to get an O/U but have been out of the shotgun market for quite some time. What are some decent ones to check out?

Scott
Stoeger is a solid middle of the road upland choice.

TheHammer

WKR
I’m a fan of “field” o/u’s. I have a weatherby Athena field d’talia 12ga. I pound 250-325 1&1/8 oz AA’s through it every Sunday, 6months out of the year. It hasn’t skipped a beat! Way more comfortable than my ruger red label or browning cynergy. I’ve seen them pop up used for under 1500.

Nvm the custom Caesar guerini little Nicholas has, he shoots 80k rounds a year and has a handful of them in multiple assortments, but he also has a tendency to shoot them out. That one has 32” barrels vs has 26”

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm sure the original poster is still evaluating options since November of 2022. He or she is likely still undecided, but absolutely ready to pull the metaphorical trigger. Keep the suggestions coming!

TSAMP

WKR
I recently had time to kill in Minneapolis and stopped at Cabelas. I got to handle a few guns that were on my radar. The odd thing was they all were renamed specifically to be sold at Bass pro/cabelas. I think the Rizzini was a dakota model. And the Browning I totally forget but it was an ultralight but my brain couldn't handle the model name changes.

That and the prices were very high. They had a used SBE that was a few hundred over new pricing.

I left saddened and with no guns.

mcseal2

WKR
For under $1k I picked up a couple 12 gauge Browning Citori Upland O/U shotguns used. I think they were made in the 80's or 90's. I remember shooting one owned by a friend of Dad's back then and swearing I would own one someday. For upland I absolutely love mine.

I even shoot trap league with it and get lots of looks. Without extended choke tubes it wouldn't even fit in the gun rack on the trap range. I shoot trap on a windy hill top though and shooting fast works best for me, not giving the wind time to mess with targets. My gun usually doesn't get scoffed at after I shoot.

I did have a gunsmith add a 1/2" recoil pad for trap shooting and dove hunting, the light gun does kick enough to feel it the next day after shooting 50+ shells.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a benelli ultralight fan! Never been a fan of OU’s as much as I’ve tried I just can’t do it. They are definitely pretty just not for me.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
CZ makes some good budget guns. I have shot and still shot a winchester sx4. Just as reliable as spending 1100 dollars more.

It's seen heat, humidity and long waterfowl seasons. Great gun but it fits me and that's what matters

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I like my Ruger Red Labels, 12 and 20. My 1972 870 has taken one hell of a lot of game birds.

Old Dog

FNG
For years I shot M12 Winchesters in 16ga. I especially liked the earlier ones. I think there are still 3 in the safe. Then I got a Ruger red label in 20 gauge, English stock, 26 inch barrels and I hunted a lot with it. It's a little heavy for a 20 but points nice. Then a few years back I became the owner of a Browning Superposed Lighting 20ga that's had the heck shot out of it. I shoot it better than any shotgun I've ever owned. In the condition it's in it is probably a $1200 gun. This is it after I had some luck on doves.

So don't overlook used shotguns.

Cooper_5RED_.jpg

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
For under $1k I picked up a couple 12 gauge Browning Citori Upland O/U shotguns used. I think they were made in the 80's or 90's. I remember shooting one owned by a friend of Dad's back then and swearing I would own one someday. For upland I absolutely love mine.

I even shoot trap league with it and get lots of looks. Without extended choke tubes it wouldn't even fit in the gun rack on the trap range. I shoot trap on a windy hill top though and shooting fast works best for me, not giving the wind time to mess with targets. My gun usually doesn't get scoffed at after I shoot.

I did have a gunsmith add a 1/2" recoil pad for trap shooting and dove hunting, the light gun does kick enough to feel it the next day after shooting 50+ shells.
I just shouldered one of these at Sportsman’s today. Holy shit are those sweet guns