Upgrading Tent Guy Lines

CjMelendrez

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mountain Smith Mountain shelter LT and the guy lines seems cheap and are bulky. What cord material are you all using to upgrade or replace guy lines on a tent or shelter?

Ideally something strong, light, and reflective.

Thanks!

Drenalin

WKR.
looks like solid stuff! is their ironwire overkill?
The ironwire is a little stiffer. I've used both for guylines and still prefer the glowire.

Edit to add: I don't use any of the plastic tensioners or anything, just knots...hence the preference for the less stiff option.

*zap*

WKR
I start with line lock on all stake loops/tie out loops for all tents/shelters. I believe the 2.5 glowwire goes thru those well(for tie downs)....but it has been a while.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Edit to add: I don't use any of the plastic tensioners or anything, just knots...hence the preference for the less stiff option.
Same. No mechanicals for me either. Tie the "Adjustable grip hitch" at both ends and you are good to go.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I tend to go for wider rope than needed for all applications because its easier to tie knots and also the knots hold better.

I use Big Agnes tents and they ship with that little tiny line that's popular right now (and those little tiny stakes, and not enough of them!).

I add guy lines and stakes to the vestibules and use 7/64" dyneema line.

I use a boline for the tie off the taught line hitch for the adjustment loop. Its way faster than trying to mess with all those little aluminum gadgets that are popular right now.

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Not reflective, but New England Ropes Spiderline in 1.8 mm is great. I just leave a steak loop tied in one end, then run the bitter end through the tent attachment point and use a tautline hitch (in bad weather add a third turn on the loop side and the hold like iron even in heavy wind).

Hard to beat the glowire, but the 7/64 amsteel is good stuff too. Strong enough for other applications as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Just make sure it has a little stretch. Some of the new ones are very strong but can abrade the loops on the tent.