Upgrade which piece?

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to upgrade a few differnt pieces and am slightly torn. Budget may only allow for one with a few other needed purchases.

1. Rain gear. Have a Helly Hanson rain jacket I use for waterfowl. Pros, bomb proof, cons heavy and doesn't breath. Thinking of replacing with a sitka dewpoint for the mountains this fall.

2. Tent, have a large 3 person tipi for Basecamp. For my spike camp, currently use a single man flint 2 fully enclosed 1 man tent. Pros, again bombproof weather wise and plenty of room for all gear. Cons, slightly heavy at 4lbs. Was thinking of replacing with a alpine bivy, but then got looking at the some of the new one man tents that weigh in around 1.5# problem is they cost way more. But Pros would be the added space to store bow and bag if weather did hit.

Any reasons a guy should lean one way over another?

Thz

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Without knowing where you are located/hunt, it's hard to give a solid recommendation. I also believe there are cheaper options that could give the opportunity to do both.

madcalfe

WKR
your rain gear, are you referring to like the thick helly hanson rubber rain gear? if so id defiantly be buying good quality rain gear. you'd sweat yourself out in that stuff if your planning a moutain hunting trip. plus the additional weight and bulkiness of it.

OP
PredatoronthePrairie

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, the HH is the thicker rubber pleat. Made for duck sloughs. Figured I'd only put it on if need be. Not really mobile stuff.

Rain gear for sure. REI just had a pretty decent sale, they will probably have more soon (July 4th maybe?). If not look at name brand outlet stores. I've never had any luck with GoreTex knockoffs some brands produce in house that is supposed to be "just as good". The one exception is the fabric North Face has which seems pretty decent; don't remember what it's called though. You want something breathable otherwise its a sweatbox.

And tip for a jacket, pit zips are mandatory imo. Even nicer fabrics get clammy and pit zips help alot so I'd invest in a jacket that has them.