Pistol mag holster for IDPA match

OldGrayJB

WKR
My daughter and I are thinking about shooting some local matches and I'm looking into the necessary gear. A friend told me that I would need space on my belt for two magazines. He uses G-code mag pouches. I would like to know the pros and cons of different brands and styles.

What do the WKRs recommend?

Two single mag pouches or one double?

Kydex or Cordura or nylon?

Cool. Idpa is great. It is a little less of a gear war than most flavors of pistol shooting and you can get a set of top shelf gear (not a gun) for $200 or so. However, You can honestly shoot with anything you want Within their rules. i like kydex holsters and mag pouches.

for mag pouches, I use singles so I can adjust placement. Those g code and a company called hsgi make those universal pouches that will fit just about any pistol mag. Get the lower cut versions and They are fine. The major makers also have good options but they are usually gun specific. 2-3 singles is all you need.

for holsters, I prefer kydex Also. Simple open top (no retention) belt slide is best IMO. They have a few rules to Follow but their are literally a gazillion kydex makers to pick from. her are a few thoughts:

Blade tech - good stuff. They have an idpa starter pack that is $100. Holster and mag pouches. Comes with a belt I think. That is the easy button and you could shoot it for years without needing to upgrade.

gcode - good stuff also. Their universal mag carriers are great. Holsters are fine.

comp Tac - this is what I shoot. They have a holster called the international and their single mag pouches. A bit pricier than blade tech but thicker kydex and better quality IMO. probbaly $160 for a holster and two pouches.

others:
vedder
alien gear
safariland
red hill tactical (semi custom and $$$)

the only one people seem to avoid is Blackhawk. There serpa holsters have gotten a bad rep among some crowds (failures of the mounting system and issues with the retention system) and they get a lot of bad forum feedback as a result.

also, get a decently stiff belt and a cover garment. Bring sunscreen and a water bottle + snacks. having 5-6 magazines is good to save reload time.

here is a link to a recent gear survey that shows holster brands people use at nationals.

I don’t do any IDPA comps or any comps for that matter, but carry a pistol and mags regularly for work and EDC. I am a fan of the Esstac mags pouches, they are pretty universal. You can mount them in a variety of ways, to a variety of platforms. The pistol mag pouches work for most double stacked mags, multi-tools and small flashlights.

Back