Upgrade Binos or buy a spotter??

HDwild

WKR
Looking for some opinion from "Optics Folks". I currently own Vortex Diamondback HD 12x50s that I've used for a couple years, they've served me well besides fogging frequently. Now I'm doing more high country deer and elk hunts on top of my PNW forest elk hunting. I do not own a spotting scope right now. I will be buying one before August.

Question is: Should I prioritize upgrading my binos or buy a spotter? I have some money saved up and have my eyes on Maven B6 10x50s and the cs.1 spotter.

I've never owned any better optics than Vortex Diamondbacks so I'd like opinions from people who've tried many or own "premium" or better glass.

*EDIT*: I forgot to include that I get first responder discounts with many companies/retailers (Maven, Gohunt, Leupold, Vortex, etc) I've done enough research that Vortex is at the bottom of my list just FYI

nobody

WKR
First, is the fogging internal or external? If it's internal, send them into vortex. If it's external, that can be a normal atmospheric occurrence (just condensation) because of temperature changes and moisture in the air.

That said, it'll depend on how you hunt and glass. I only use my spotter about 10% of the time, and lots of the time it's left in the pickup or at home. Since I use my binos most of the time, it made sense for me to get good binos first.

You can get by without any type of spotter for a long time. Buy the best glass you can afford, get a solid tripod and mount the binos on it, and then SLOW THE FRICK DOWN. You'll be amazed with how adept a good pair of 10's can be when mounted on a tripod.

Those B6's are phenomenal glass. I say buy them, then save up and forego a spotter for a season or two until you can afford to buy the same tier of glass in a spotter. Or better yet, take your entire budget for the B6 and C series spotter combined (about $1900 all in) and buy a pair of alpha-class binoculars. You could buy a pair of Leica Ultravid's for that money, used, and never upgrade ever again. Then in two years, do the same with a spotting scope.

You'll be miles ahead in the long run. Watch the classifieds religiously and you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

I bet you get a discount on Leica too. So, if you're buying new look into them. If you're open to buying used, snag swaro slc/el/nl or zeiss victory and be set for life.

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
First, is the fogging internal or external? If it's internal, send them into vortex. If it's external, that can be a normal atmospheric occurrence (just condensation) because of temperature changes and moisture in the air.

That said, it'll depend on how you hunt and glass. I only use my spotter about 10% of the time, and lots of the time it's left in the pickup or at home. Since I use my binos most of the time, it made sense for me to get good binos first.

You can get by without any type of spotter for a long time. Buy the best glass you can afford, get a solid tripod and mount the binos on it, and then SLOW THE FRICK DOWN. You'll be amazed with how adept a good pair of 10's can be when mounted on a tripod.

Those B6's are phenomenal glass. I say buy them, then save up and forego a spotter for a season or two until you can afford to buy the same tier of glass in a spotter. Or better yet, take your entire budget for the B6 and C series spotter combined (about $1900 all in) and buy a pair of alpha-class binoculars. You could buy a pair of Leica Ultravid's for that money, used, and never upgrade ever again. Then in two years, do the same with a spotting scope.

You'll be miles ahead in the long run. Watch the classifieds religiously and you'll be able to find what you're looking for.
Thanks for the response. The fogging has only been external and usually after hiking with them in my harness and pulling them out. No big deal, just have to wipe them off.

I definitely used binos way more than a spotter when i had one but I really love digiscoping with a spotter. If buying Alpha glass are all 3 brands equal or does one outperform the others?

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
I bet you get a discount on Leica too. So, if you're buying new look into them. If you're open to buying used, snag swaro slc/el/nl or zeiss victory and be set for life.
Does one of the big manufacturers outperform the others? If I'm going to drop that kind of cash I don't want to pick up some Leicas only to find that Swaros are significantly better or something.

Does one of the big manufacturers outperform the others? If I'm going to drop that kind of cash I don't want to pick up some Leicas only to find that Swaros are significantly better or something.
Go look through all of the big boys before you make the decision. Some peoples eyes like brands that others eyes dont.

nobody

WKR
If buying Alpha glass are all 3 brands equal or does one outperform the others?
that’s a personal question that only you can answer. Go to a few sporting goods stores and check some out, find some buddies who own them and will let you borrow them. They’re all high quality, but they’re not all the same, and it depends on your eyes.

As an example, my eyes hate swaro glass. Every pair, including the highly touted NL’s, have a bluish greenish hue to my eyes and it makes the view super dim, so I’ll never use them or buy them. They’re useless to me. But every guy online and every single YouTube review would have me believe that Swaro is the only bino worth buying. But they’re not worth a penny to my eyes. You need to research and find what your eyes like, you might be surprised.

I would upgrade your binos and put them on a tripod. That way when you get a spotter you have a tripod already.

1. Swaro SLC 10x/Leica Trinovid 10x/Zeiss Conquest 10x used binos
2. Really Right Stuff Cinch Elite bino adapter
3. Tricer LP pan head
4. Really Right Stuff TVC-24/TFC-24 tripod

peterk123

WKR
I went through this exercise two years ago. I upgraded my binos. I purchased a pair meopta b1 meostar hd 10x42s. Just wow. Put them on a tripod and just wow on steroids. I spent one day hunting and startling at muleys from 2000 yards for seven hours straight with no issue. When it's still too dark for my eyes in the morning I use the binos and I can see everything. It's pretty much all I need for hunting.

Last year I bit the bullet on a Kowa 883. But it was going to serve triple duty. Preseason scouting, range duty, and wildlife photography. I use it a lot. But most of the time it's for photography and range duty. Although this year it is gong on every backpacking trip. Would I haul it around to hunt? Probably not. Binos and tripod are just fine. Great binos are worth every penny. They are with me all the time.

nobody

WKR
Pick up the Leicas in this listing and live happily ever after

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
Newbie question: Is Leica's HD considered Alpha glass? Theres an older pair of Geovid HD-Bs for sale for a good price

I would go with the binoculars first, once you step up into the upper tier glass you will never want to go back. Anything Leica, ziess or Swarovski. Try to get your hands on all 3 brands and look through them, your eyes might like one brand over the other.

As you've already been told, it's personal preference. For me, they were all great, so I went with the best value at the time.

Also, there might be a zeiss military discount, I'm not entirely sure.

OP
HDwild

HDwild

WKR
I found some Geovid 3200.coms that I'm very close to pulling the Trigger on. Anybody have anything bad to say about them that could sway me otherwise?

I started off in your shoes. I went from those exact binos to a set of maven b2’s.and a diamond back spotter. I absolutely hated the spotter. The binos out performed them easily out to a mile on defining antlers. I only used it a few times before i realised a cheap spotter is worthless.
So 100% get your self into that $1000ish range of binos before doing anything else.
If your going to be an optics nut bye used so you can resell a couple years later without much money lost.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I found some Geovid 3200.coms that I'm very close to pulling the Trigger on. Anybody have anything bad to say about them that could sway me otherwise?
I love mine. Used them for an antelope hunt and two elk hunts last fall. I have them paired with a Kestrel Elite. With a RRS tripod and a MagView I found I that I could get by without a spotting scope in a lot of situations. My eyes like Leica glass over Swaro.