Under Armour vs wool

Bughalli

WKR
I bought a bunch of the UA. Used it for a few seasons and found myself changing shirts every day because of the smell. Now I know if you're up wind of game they are going to smell you regardless of what you have on, but I found the smell distracting. Also, not all synthetics are the same. For whatever reason the Cabelas brand equivalent took longer for the smell to kick in (2 days).

Capiline lasted longer before it smelled (2 days or so) and felt slightly warmer, but who knows. Maybe there was less wind those days.

Wool has been the best. Warmth was no different, but it's amazing how much it reduces the stink. Little itchy, but no big deal.

One guy recommended hiking up the mountain in UA and then throw it in a zip lock bag and put on a wool base layer. That actually works pretty well. I often strip down as light as I can go for the hike in before sunrise and sweat like crazy in the process. I like to get that wet shirt off my body before it cools me down. Then wear wool the rest of the day. Makes a big difference for me, especially if then glassing at sunrise (so you're not moving much).

bcimport

WKR
Much like what the other guys have noted on the wool vs synthetic debate. I use mostly wool except for my pants in all but the coldest weather. I have found myself wearing synthetic bottoms for shorter hunts though. The wool doesn't stink but it doesn't support as well us some of the synthetic options do.

eyetat

FNG
The U/A for run and gun and the wool for stalking or on stand . This is what has worked best for me.

Shrek

WKR
So, where can we find some merino wool base layers on sale?

Sierra Trading Post. Join their deal flyer email list and wait for 45% off and 99 cent shipping. I've bought Icebreaker and Terramar merino from them and I'm pleased. I did get an Icebreaker sweater from them that has the zipper on the wrong side but it's not a big deal.

husky390

WKR
Sierra Trading Post. Join their deal flyer email list and wait for 45% off and 99 cent shipping. I've bought Icebreaker and Terramar merino from them and I'm pleased. I did get an Icebreaker sweater from them that has the zipper on the wrong side but it's not a big deal.

+1 on Sierra Trading Post. I bought the Redram by Icebreaker lightweight shirt and longjohns and they are comfortable.