Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

gtriple

WKR
I finally made time to circle back to this project. I won’t say I’m happy with it until I shoot it (will report back how that goes) but it came together just under my target of being under 4lbs with a scope.

TN Arms polymer receiver
NFA polymer lower parts kit
Solo 300 upper
Custom barrel made from a Green Mountain
223 Wylde 1:7 blank
Jag 7.5” ultralight handguard
Hogue grip
Trigger tech black diamond 2.5lb
Used a set screw for the rear takedown pin spring
I think I got the skeletonized buffer tube from Palmetto.
Don’t recall where that little buttstock came from but this thread led me to it.
Aluminum 10rd mag

Sighting device options:
SWFA 2.5-10x32 in an Aeromount
Aimpoint micro H2 2moa ina Larue QD

Unloaded weights:
rifle alone 3lb 2.6oz
W/aimpoint 3lb 9oz
w/swiffer 3lb 15oz

I have the parts here to go a tad lighter but they required compromises I wasn’t willing to make. It will be an evolving project and I now have a couple boxes full of parts for future tweaking.

View attachment 773217View attachment 773218View attachment 773219
Man, that is eerily similar to my current build, except for the stock. I went A2 buffer and farrow tech stock. Awesome setup!

ebrownw2

FNG
That thing is sweet! Great job. What does the barrel weigh? Do you have any pics of the barrel and contour details? What was the cost of the barrel after finishing it?
Thank you, sir. This one weighed 17.7oz. The others were in the 18.5oz range. Here's some pics and more info. I think I ended up with around $350 each in the custom barrels.

Dukhtr3

FNG
Well I have been thinking about dropping the coin for a few months to build one and I finally did it. I have everything on order. Now I just need to figure out a optic and mount. What's everyone running? Thinking 2.5x10 or 3x9 but obviously looking for lightweight.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like the mount can be the weak point, specifically if you use a cantilever piece. I am going to use one this year but not use a center riser piece of the mount because I fortunately don't need one to get a good sight picture.

Taudisio

WKR
Any idea how durable those PA prism sites are? Looks promising if I start an AR project.
I watched on review where a guy, kind of, tortured one. It was enough that I bought the 5x. I have had no issues with mine, but it hasn’t been abused like the regular scope test reviews. I haven’t babied it either and have roughly 900 rounds while looking through it. Is it the best optic? No. Is it the best in its size and weight class? I believe so. They are also 13% off today with code TAKE13

Whew made it through all 76 pages in a week and a half or so.
Plan to build one, would really prefer 6 ARC but likely just go 223 with 77 TMK. I have an AR 15 223 Wylde already and shot a whitetail doe with it last year testing the bullet. Heavy though.

I spent the first 50-55 pages looking for the farrow tech website. The link in there and @Thegman detail pics helped a lot. I spent a bunch of time looking for a carbon fiber A2.

Undecided on Solo 300 or BCA side charge. Thought I’d I can always turn the side charge into a gas gun if need be.

I have a 6.5 Grendel BCA upper that shoots awesome but I had to replace some parts on the bolt with JP parts that are beefed up. I know I broke the BCA extractor so that says how hard extraction is.

Likely Faxon 223 Wylde barrel unless the mythical Shaw appears on their site.

My Grendel is my wolf rifle but man is it heavy so lightweight is a primary focus and heavily leaning toward a folding stock. Might do 2 stocks, one folder mechanism and one regular Farrow Tech with A2 buffer.

Scope will be something that dials like SWFA fixed 6x or the mythical unicorn 20 oz scope Form and Ryan are working on.

Thanks for all the discussion, instruction, details, and links

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Know nothing about PA but for sure Vortex will take care of any problems
About 6 months ago I looked through a Vortex 3x prism and PA 3x prism. Although I don't remember the exact models, optically, the PA was head and shoulders better than the Vortex.

With respect to one possibly replacing one of my 2-7s, the PA was "hmmm...this is pretty good, maybe".

The Vortex was "...uh...this is bad, no way."

Maybe they're better now, IDK, but I'd recommend looking through both before you decide.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Whew made it through all 76 pages in a week and a half or so.
Plan to build one, would really prefer 6 ARC but likely just go 223 with 77 TMK. I have an AR 15 223 Wylde already and shot a whitetail doe with it last year testing the bullet. Heavy though.

I spent the first 50-55 pages looking for the farrow tech website. The link in there and @Thegman detail pics helped a lot. I spent a bunch of time looking for a carbon fiber A2.

Undecided on Solo 300 or BCA side charge. Thought I’d I can always turn the side charge into a gas gun if need be.

I have a 6.5 Grendel BCA upper that shoots awesome but I had to replace some parts on the bolt with JP parts that are beefed up. I know I broke the BCA extractor so that says how hard extraction is.

Likely Faxon 223 Wylde barrel unless the mythical Shaw appears on their site.

My Grendel is my wolf rifle but man is it heavy so lightweight is a primary focus and heavily leaning toward a folding stock. Might do 2 stocks, one folder mechanism and one regular Farrow Tech with A2 buffer.

Scope will be something that dials like SWFA fixed 6x or the mythical unicorn 20 oz scope Form and Ryan are working on.

Thanks for all the discussion, instruction, details, and links
Good call on 223 in the Solo rather than ARC. I tried an ARC barrel on a Solo a while back and the cases stuck just like my 30HRT did. If you go with the BCA side charger with a full mass bolt carrier it -might- work okay, but -will- be way heavier.

You could block the gas on your Grendel and see what happens with extraction before deciding.

I agree with you on how much harder it must be on the AR-15 extraction system running cases larger than 223/350 Legend. Having to extract by hand really allows you to see the forces the rifle is and isn't working against to pull a case out of the chamber.

Lentuk

FNG
@Thegman I am almost done with my build but still need a barrel.
I am having a hard time choosing between the .223 and the .300 Ham'r.
I would be using this rifle for elk and deer mostly in Montana and Arizona.
Hate to put you on the spot but if you could only choose one...