Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

You make an interesting point about shooting ability versus weight. Many decades ago, the U.S. military conducted a binocular test to determine the most efficient power for handheld binos. Using 6X, 7X, 8X, 10X, 12X, and likely more, they had a test group use each unassisted to see how much detail they could resolve on a chart. The winner was 7X, which is why this is the gold standard for service binos.

It's obviously very different, but I wonder how a similar test would go for these ultralight rifles. I know there is a point of diminishing returns, but it would be interesting to see how weight affects precision over a group of shooters and not just a crackshot.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
How much weight did they shave off the new solo ?
It's about 0.3 oz lighter than the Davidson Defense version. I've never handled one of the Anderson type uppers they used on the last batch. Probably the nicest part about this one, IMO, is how tight the tolerances are and how much tighter it locks in battery, which is noticeable. It's built like a high end upper. Almost no play in the barrel extension fit, no play in the upper/lower fit, etc.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
@Thegman Going to do a full component list for that rifle?

Im so gutted we lost semis down here and the option to do something like this so affordably.
Where did you lose semi-autos? Lame...

The easy button is to use the build list on the first and second rifles I posted. This build is similar to the "Red Ryder" other than I made an UL stock and forend and used an unported Shaw barrel which weighs 17.7 oz. I'm not sure if Shaw is offering them yet, but they're a great option if they are. I think Wilson is making runs of unported 300 HAM’R barrels too. It would be well worth checking with them.

I posted some on the ultralight stock back a few pages. But like StupidLightweight mentioned, these can be super lightweight without going overboard like I just did.

Easy to start with something simple and cheap to build and then make lighter parts over time if you want to go that direction.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you lose semi-autos? Lame...

The easy button is to use the build list on the first and second rifles I posted. This build is similar to the "Red Ryder" other than I made an UL stock and forend and used an unported Shaw barrel which weighs 17.7 oz. I'm not sure if Shaw is offering them yet, but they're a great option if they are. I think Wilson is making runs of unported 300 HAM’R barrels too. It would be well worth checking with them.

I posted some on the ultralight stock back a few pages. But like StupidLightweight mentioned, these can be super lightweight without going overboard like I just did.

Easy to start with something simple and cheap to build and then make lighter parts over time if you want to go that direction.
New Zealand. Only rimfire semis now except for specialized permits. Id have to see the logistics if you could convince the Police here to allow the purchase/import of an AR lower and Solo 300 Upper. Only thing I didn't like about my old gasser was how bashed up it gets in rocky terrain but thats purely aesthetic.

Jim Flint

FNG
New Zealand. Only rimfire semis now except for specialized permits. Id have to see the logistics if you could convince the Police here to allow the purchase/import of an AR lower and Solo 300 Upper. Only thing I didn't like about my old gasser was how bashed up it gets in rocky terrain but thats purely aesthetic.
I haven’t stumbled across info concerning purchase/import of the Solo but when digging into whether the police might allow a visitor’s firearms license for a straight-pull AR I came across this Reddit post by someone that assembled one. The barrel has no gas port, the upper has no gas tube hole, it has a “solid” gas key, and “proprietary size” takedown pins (so that the receivers are not interchangeable with a gasser).

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t stumbled across info concerning purchase/import of the Solo but when digging into whether the police might allow a visitor’s firearms license for a straight-pull AR I came across this Reddit post by someone that assembled one. The barrel has no gas port, the upper has no gas tube hole, it has a “solid” gas key, and “proprietary size” takedown pins (so that the receivers are not interchangeable with a gasser).
Yeh we have a few options like that but they are expensive especially considering they aren't light and most it would require being swapped out. The proprietary pins etc would have to be completed prior to coming into NZ to which becomes a pain. I was going to build a ground up custom single shot bolt action not unlike the stowaway but id really like the ability for a fast followup shot or 2 as my main reason is to use it as a tiny little compact packrafting rifle.

Trackselk

WKR
Anyone having trouble with Tennessee arms lately? I'm at 6 weeks with no shipping notification and I followed up at about 1 month. Getting worried they might have vanished with my funds

Jim Flint

FNG
Anyone having trouble with Tennessee arms lately? I'm at 6 weeks with no shipping notification and I followed up at about 1 month. Getting worried they might have vanished with my funds
Interesting! My FFL just got a receiver in from them, about ten days ago.

Trackselk

WKR
Checking my emails, it appears it was ordered on the 21st, shipped the 24th, and delivered the 29th. Hopefully you can get ahold of them today.
Thanks again, yeah, it's getting ridiculous. I'll save you all the details, but they are not my favorite outfit at the moment :/

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Thanks again, yeah, it's getting ridiculous. I'll save you all the details, but they are not my favorite outfit at the moment :/
If it doesn't get straightened out, let me know. I can sell you one of mine if needed.

robtattoo

WKR
Thanks, I finally got a little fired up about it and they apologized and said it would ship today. They are short staffed
I was going to say, usually those guy's are fantastic to deal with. I've bought all sorts from them over the years & don't recall ever having an issue. My 2 lowers got to me in 2 days (admittedly, we're in the same state)

Trackselk

WKR
My unported Shaw, 17.8 oz:
Shank ~0.8"
Tapers to 0.6 at about 2.5"
Hits 0.5" at about 7"
0.5" from there

My Wilson, 19 oz (ported)
Shank ~0.9"
Tapers to 0.48" by ~4.5"
0.48" from there.
(Apparently the 0.75" gas block and muzzle add some weight).

I'd guess that the Wilson profile without the gas block and fat muzzle should get you in the 16s. The Shaw gets you in the 17s.

Look forward to seeing this barrel!

(The shank dimensions are its length, not diameter)
Well, I'm amending the dimensions since I had the chance. Would you be reticent to run hot loads with the Wilson profile but with the .8" shank of the shaw? Are those dimensions strait from Wilson or Shaw? I know the rule of thumb for the muzzle is .1" of meat either side of the bullet diameter, but I don't have a clue about the shank area and what's safe.
-As for the rest of the barrel. It looks like LRI may draw the line at .5", but I'm trying for the .48".
Probably a month + out from completion, might have to lug the monster kimber around for my early muley hunt, I'll probably blow a disc...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Yeah, those Kimbers are such boat anchors...only said in this thread 😅 (for the record, my Kimber Montana is an all-time favorite...still).

That shank measurement is the shank length before the barrel starts tapering, not the diameter of the shank (which I believe is 1"). The measurements are directly from my barrels.

I would think the lightest would be the Wilson profile with Shaw shank length, but both are very good in and of themselves.

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah, those Kimbers are such boat anchors...only said in this thread 😅 (for the record, my Kimber Montana is an all-time favorite...still).

That shank measurement is the shank length before the barrel starts tapering, not the diameter of the shank (which I believe is 1"). The measurements are directly from my barrels.

I would think the lightest would be the Wilson profile with Shaw shank length, but both are very good in and of themselves.
For sure, I can barely lift the kimber these days! I blame you for this madness, but I appreciate it as well🤤
Ah OK, that makes sense, thanks again