Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks for the updates!

Any input on whether or not I need the extended Aero scope mount or not for the 4x rimfire or ultralight 3x9 leupold scopes (7.5 & 9oz FYI)? They are really compact FWIW. I'm kind of a stretched out giraffe of a dude with a long LOP. I don't have an AR to measure anything, but I'll probably end up making a longer stock out of the A2 like sesei did.

Trackselk

WKR
My concern with the leupold rimfire would be how well it handles recoil. I’ll be watching for your results with it!
There's a thread somewhere on here that had 2 guys that were in-the-know say that the rimfires go through the exact same testing, and at least 2 dudes said they had them on hi power rifles no problem. So, I think we're safe. Only trouble is it looks like the new 4x rimfires are only available with the fine hairs, which I think I'll like, but then again they might not get me to 425 yards on a deer late in the evening...? Tough to beat 7oz. The 2.5x ultralight is still available I think, and that has standard duplex I think, 6 oz! If I only shot out to 2-250 that's what I would run. Worst case I use my spare 3x9 ultralight.

Trackselk

WKR
Any input on how long of a handgaurd we need for a good rest on packs, rocks, branches and our hands up against a tree? I'm dreaming of having all the parts to fully assemble this thing in one shot, however unlikely

180ls1

WKR
Handguard is pretty light, but the parts aren't all easily available (I finagled some). I'd recommend the Kaw Valley or similar for now.
View attachment 732405

Also, Solo has completed their design and they're machining their new "in house" uppers now. They should start rolling in pretty soon.

Are there improvements with the new uppers or is it just moving to in house?

Clarktar

WKR
I can't remember if I posted this or not. I went with a larger CF tube and inserted A2 ends into the tube. I'm working on VII, which should be another 1/2 oz or so lighter.View attachment 732399
I'd like to replicate this vII possibly. Can you post up the parts needed? I think I have the ends coming from an A2 buffer but not sure on what size CF tube to get to insert the ends....

robtattoo

WKR
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested (since it looks like boiled ass) but the original, milled, ambidextrous BCA upper, chopped BCG & no name 1:7 barrel from my original attempt are just sitting around here, doing nothing. I know I'm never going to use them.
The barrel did well with 77 TMKs. Gas port is fully blocked with a set screw & steel band soldered in place.

If you look back thru the thread, you'll find the weights.

If anyone wants it, cover shipping & they're yours. They're not great & they're ugly as shit, but they work. You'll still need a barrel nut & handguard.

20240311_190914.jpg

Yes, it's Krylon 'I-Drank-Bad-Water-Poo' Brown

GONE!

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested (since it looks like boiled ass) but the original, milled, ambidextrous BCA upper, chopped BCG & no name 1:7 barrel from my original attempt are just sitting around here, doing nothing. I know I'm never going to use them.
The barrel did well with 77 TMKs. Gas port is fully blocked with a set screw & steel band soldered in place.

If anyone wants it, cover shipping & they're yours. They're not great & they're ugly as shit, but they work. You'll still need a barrel nut & handguard.

View attachment 732444

I forget, did you get that bolt cycling decently? I bought 2 lowers, so if a needy soul doesn't appear eventually I'd take it and build it up for my nephew. He's fresh out of the army and is talking about hauling around his M1 garrand for elk!
You're keeping your stock right?

robtattoo

WKR
I forget, did you get that bolt cycling decently? I bought 2 lowers, so if a needy soul doesn't appear eventually I'd take it and build it up for my nephew. He's fresh out of the army and is talking about hauling around his M1 garrand for elk!
You're keeping your stock right?

Yep, it was 90% a problem with my brass being too long & 10% the o ring under the extractor. Resized the brass, stripped the bolt & she does fine now.

Yessir, it's just the upper receiver, bolt & barrel. Everything else is on my .300

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Any input on how long of a handgaurd we need for a good rest on packs, rocks, branches and our hands up against a tree? I'm dreaming of having all the parts to fully assemble this thing in one shot, however unlikely
Just my perspective, but I would keep a handguard at 7" or longer for what you described. The shorter you go, the more closely you have to watch things on a pack, etc to be sure nothing is hitting the barrel (although I don't actually know if that matters; I've not tested that, but should).

The other issue is sling balance. A rifle will tend to flip if the sling is mounted too far down. I made the above ultralight handguard 9". I'd gladly trade the weight of a few inches of CF tube for improved functionality.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I'd like to replicate this vII possibly. Can you post up the parts needed? I think I have the ends coming from an A2 buffer but not sure on what size CF tube to get to insert the ends....
I used a 30mm od x 28mm id CF tube and an A2's ends.

Ready for epoxy it looked like this.
20240509_151719.jpg

OTOH, if money isn't an issue, the Smoke Composites stock is a little heavier, but definitely nicer.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Are there improvements with the new uppers or is it just moving to in house?
I'm not sure, but from the couple of drawings I've seen it looks like there will be a few Solo specific changes. But to be clear, I've not seen "officially finalized" details off the CNC mill, so I'm waiting to see that as well.

Considering the work they're putting in, I'm guessing they'll be the be the best iteration to date, but certainly not make the ones we already have "obsolete" either. Mine are all the Davidson Defense type and I have always liked those little buggers.

Last edited:

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 732444

PM sent

Trackselk

WKR
Yep, it was 90% a problem with my brass being too long & 10% the o ring under the extractor. Resized the brass, stripped the bolt & she does fine now.

Yessir, it's just the upper receiver, bolt & barrel. Everything else is on my .300
Cool, hopefully someone that's cash strapped pops up, can't beat that deal!

Regarding 4X rimfire optics, I have a handful of Weaver Classic 4x28 and one Leupold 4x28. The Leupy is smaller and lighter, but that's where it ends. When you find them used, the Weavers are twice the scope for half the money. It's one of my all-time favorite optics.
  • Eye relief is shorter so field of view is larger
  • Magnification seems true 4X while Leupy seems more like 3X or so
  • Crosshair of Leupold is really thin

Trackselk

WKR
Just my perspective, but I would keep a handguard at 7" or longer for what you described. The shorter you go, the more closely you have to watch things on a pack, etc to be sure nothing is hitting the barrel (although I don't actually know if that matters; I've not tested that, but should).

The other issue is sling balance. A rifle will tend to flip if the sling is mounted too far down. I made the above ultralight handguard 9". I'd gladly trade the weight of a few inches of CF tube for improved functionality.
Many thanks, I could agree more! I went too far on my kimber, so I bought another stock to lengthen the forend. I would have just used carbon arrow shafts, but I decided the holes I drilled that exposed the mag (which has holes drilled in it also) might be a problems in the precip, and even more spruce&fir needles in the works...
I think I'll go 10-12" as it'll be easy to trim it if I don't need the extra length.
As for slings, I finally left them behind as my kimber with the 13ish oz stock flips so badly with a ti suppressor (10ish oz), and I couldn't be happier. I followed someone's lead on RS with the stone glacier + kiuiu (?) Pack carriers combo and have really enjoyed finally freeing up my hands and shoulder fully after carrying long guns for over 30 years. Of course if you encounter a significant amount of surprise snap shots (or coastal browns) then it might not be ideal. I'm just hoping the new bb gun will fit in the carrier combo! I can post details if anyone has trouble locating the thread/details, and I'll try to report back how the tiny rifle fits.

Here's a snapshot of various scopes. The bottom scope by Gru-Bee is a modern take on the old Baby Redfields. It uses a 3/4-inch tube and weighs 7 ounces. It's adorable. IMG_7460.jpeg

Trackselk

WKR
Here's a snapshot of various scopes. The bottom scope by Gru-Bee is a modern take on the old Baby Redfields. It uses a 3/4-inch tube and weighs 7 ounces. It's adorable. View attachment 732564
Thanks for the gru bee lead, I take it that it's a decent scope? I'm not very picky with optics as long as they are light and accurate. I'd love to take that 4x28 loopy off your hands if you're tired of it. I'll probably just run my extra 9oz 3x9 UL if I can't pick up something for $200 or less. I'm never going to get retired if I keep paying $100+ an ounce 😆

Trackselk

WKR
Handguard is pretty light, but the parts aren't all easily available (I finagled some). I'd recommend the Kaw Valley or similar for now.
View attachment 732405

Also, Solo has completed their design and they're machining their new "in house" uppers now. They should start rolling in pretty soon.
Really looking forward to this recipe since the suppressor makes the muzzle end so lopsided! I don't want to mess with a good faxon barrel, but still very tempting to get the extra weight around the gas port milled off that end of the gun...

robtattoo

WKR
Regarding 4X rimfire optics, I have a handful of Weaver Classic 4x28 and one Leupold 4x28. The Leupy is smaller and lighter, but that's where it ends. When you find them used, the Weavers are twice the scope for half the money. It's one of my all-time favorite optics.
  • Eye relief is shorter so field of view is larger
  • Magnification seems true 4X while Leupy seems more like 3X or so
  • Crosshair of Leupold is really thin

Not specifically talking to you, Stupid, (that sounds far more insulting than I mean, but you picked the screen name! 😄) just general info for folks.
99% of the time the only difference between a centerfire scope & rimfire scope, of the same make & model line, is that the CF will have it's parallax fixed at 100yds where the Rimfire will be 50. Other than that, construction is usually (not always) identical. For normal hunting distance, it's not an issue. Once you start pushing beyond 200yds, it can be a problem, although not usually enough to cause a miss.