Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Clarktar

WKR
I posted some info on the 77TMK thread about my experience on trying out the 77TMK on this black bear. There was some interest in the rifle used so I'm posting some info about the whys and hows on some of what I've put together over the last year or so.

View attachment 611751

I've been carrying lightweight bolt rifles around the mountains for a long time and have thought about how to make the lightest rifle I could, just to see what's possible, if nothing else. The lightest bolt rifle I've had was a 4# 9oz 308. That was pretty costly and there didn't seem to be a way to get much lighter without a lot of machining, cutting and $$.

The AR platform seemed like a good place to look having an already lightweight aluminum upper receiver,, lightweight relatively inexpensive barrels available and all the lightweight parts available...and the ability to easily put them together.

Anyway, here's a couple I've put together. Most are still getting modified as I figure out what works best for my purposes, or have been since the pictures were taken, but this hopefully give the basic idea.

This is the rifle in the picture above that took the black bear, in it's initial iteration I put together with what I had on hand at the time. I jokingly refer to as the Red Ryder. The bare rifle is only about 12oz heavier than a Red Ryder BB gun and feels more like you're holding a BB gun than a rifle you might use for big game. It's lighter, by about 1/2 a pound, than a 22LR Henry Survival Rifle if you've ever handled one of those.

View attachment 611752

Front to back, here's what it was and some of the tweaks since then:

Wilson Combat Ultralight 5.56 barrel (now wearing a Faxon 223 Wylde pencil barrel to see if I could get 75 ELDM to shoot well at AR OAL length - still didn't work well, but the 77 TMK does, and probably would in the Wilson as well, I just didn't have any at the time)

Guntec aluminum gas block cut down and reversed to seal the gas port (cut off too much apparently as it was leaking). Put another unmodified one on for now.

NFA 5" lightweight handguard. This is probably too short for shooting off a pack and is probably too short to carry well on a sling...but it was what I had in the parts drawer. I've since put a cut down 10" version of the same on. That will be replaced with a 10.5" Jag Composites Ultralight CF handguard. The 10.5 JC handguard is a bit lighter that that 5" aluminum handguard. I have one on my 3#10oz 5.56 gasser. They're super lightweight and work well so far.

TN Arms Carbon 15 lower. These weigh 4 oz. and have threaded brass inserts in the receiver for the buffer tube/stock and hand grip. There are lowers that are even a little lighter, but they're not reinforced as well. I did have an NFA receiver crack on the top of the buffer tower on another build so decided to go with these. So far so good.

NFA polymer LPK. These have worked fine for me so far in multiple builds..

Solo 300 bolt action upper. These use a shortend, aluminum bolt carrier and don't require any springs, buffers, etc. in the buffer tube so can use any kind of stock.

A good place to mention why I decided to build as a straight pull bolt AR rather than a gasser:
A little easier to make a lighter build.
Easier to keep track of and recover brass.
Simpler than a gasser.
Not finniky like super lightweight ARs can be. I've built an ultalight AR as I mentioned above. It's a great rifle, but I do have to be sure gas is tuned for the specific load, etc.
Nothing getting dirty from the gas system.
I've hunted with bolt rifles all my life and never felt handicapped by that in any way. For the hunting I do, if I need multiple, rapid follow up shots, I've just screwed up. And, I can run this faster than any turn bolt if that matters...which it probably doesn't.

Hogue 15° grip. These only weigh 1oz and are only about $20.

A2 buffer tube with a Farrow Tech butt that attaches in place of the A2 stock. About 5oz total. There are other stocks about the same weight, but wanted to see what could be done on the cheap.

Hopefully that sums this one up okay and some here find the idea interesting. I'll post something shorter on the next build.
What upper is recommended for a 223 build?

Taudisio

WKR
Thanks.

And this is the buffer tube needed?

Yes and no. You do not need the spring or buffer.
What stock are you planning on running? I assume the farrow tech so you can see below.

Buffer tube only $20

Clarktar

WKR
Yes and no. You do not need the spring or buffer.
What stock are you planning on running? I assume the farrow tech so you can see below.

Buffer tube only $20
Thanks for that! Yep I ordered the Farrow stock, NFA polymer LPK, NFA stripped lower, green mountain barrel, rise armament single stage trigger. Just need an upper and a handguard now!

Those JAG ultra light handguards are not inexpensive!!

Taudisio

WKR
Thanks for that! Yep I ordered the Farrow stock, NFA polymer LPK, NFA stripped lower, green mountain barrel, rise armament single stage trigger. Just need an upper and a handguard now!
Not too many options on the upper unfortunately. The census has been the
1.) solo300-lightweight, has a neat ball retention to assist with proper lockup
2.) The BCA-a bit heavier and no detent assist
3.)Make your own-totally doable if you have the skills to make cuts into aluminum and thread the BCG, more skill necessary to make your own detent like the solo

Clarktar

WKR
Not too many options on the upper unfortunately. The census has been the
1.) solo300-lightweight, has a neat ball retention to assist with proper lockup
2.) The BCA-a bit heavier and no detent assist
3.)Make your own-totally doable if you have the skills to make cuts into aluminum and thread the BCG, more skill necessary to make your own detent like the solo
I'll just wait for a solo 300. No hurry, still waiting on my parts to arrive for my previous build!

Taudisio

WKR
I'll just wait for a solo 300. No hurry, still waiting on my parts to arrive for my previous build!
I would do the same thing.

On the handguard, the sky is the limit. I am running two kaw valley precision pcc handguards. Because you do not use the gas tube, and you can file the gas block to fit, the space under the handguard is not necessary. I’m not overly familiar with the green mountain barrels, if they do not have the gas block journal or port, you would be good to go.

Trackselk

WKR
1.) Small pin like 99% of other ARs
2.) I am really enjoying my Rise Armament 140, on sale for $75 Here it is a “3.5 lb trigger”
3.) @Thegman ??
4.) If you have the money to burn, go for it and post your weight saving results! If I were to do it, I would just get the lightest blank and have a smith chamber/ar15 barrel extension. No gas port, thinking kimber pencil barrel thin/weight and stainless to boot. And it opens you up to caliber choices.
5.) I have no experience with the exact scope, I do have a vx2, 2-7x33 with duplex, and have shot it a ways further than 400 yards, not on an ultralight though.
Many thanks! I'll check out that trigger, but still pretty heavy for precision on such a light rifle.
I really like the precision reports and barrel treatments on the Faxon, and I ordered it right before I got far enough into this thread to know that there were no port options, sadly. But, I shoot smaller bullets also, so I like the faxon 1:8 better than most of the other options anyhow.
I've got several leupold duplex scopes, but the only super light 4x option you can buy new any more is the 4x rimfire, and it comes with the fine duplex. Not sure that it has enough meat on the hairs (🤔) to see at any significant distance?

Taudisio

WKR
Many thanks! I'll check out that trigger, but still pretty heavy for precision on such a light rifle.
I really like the precision reports and barrel treatments on the Faxon, and I ordered it right before I got far enough into this thread to know that there were no port options, sadly. But, I shoot smaller bullets also, so I like the faxon 1:8 better than most of the other options anyhow.
I've got several leupold duplex scopes, but the only super light 4x option you can buy new any more is the 4x rimfire, and it comes with the fine duplex. Not sure that it has enough meat on the hairs (🤔) to see at any significant distance?
It is a bit heavy, but I like it 10 fold over the nfa trigger and you asked for under $100. Check Page 48 for my results with the trigger in my UL. I have a faxon on my 5.56 UL and I like it a lot.

My concern with the leupold rimfire would be how well it handles recoil. I’ll be watching for your results with it!

Trackselk

WKR

Those JAG ultra light handguards are not inexpensive!!
I'm right there with you on figuring out this puzzle. I might have lucked out, as I ordered my solo yesterday or the day before, I sure hope it was in fact in stock, because I don't have any other toys to build at the moment! I'm hoping to save a ton on homemade stock and handgaurd, but that pretty stock with the carbon cheek riser was tempting! The weight sure would help offset a suppressor on the other end...

Clarktar

WKR
I'm right there with you on figuring out this puzzle. I might have lucked out, as I ordered my solo yesterday or the day before, I sure hope it was in fact in stock, because I don't have any other toys to build at the moment! I'm hoping to save a ton on homemade stock and handgaurd, but that pretty stock with the carbon cheek riser was tempting! The weight sure would help offset a suppressor on the other end...
Home made handguard? What page was that on?

Yea, the last two pieces I need are a handguard and upper. I look forward to getting it all together!

robtattoo

WKR

That's the handguard I used for my build. Seemed like the best dollar/ounce value.

My buttstock was a little more involved. I used the threaded end & capped end of a cheap, milspec buffer tube & joined them Riverhead with a section of carbon fiber tube I picked up on ebay for $15 or so. I had to do a couple of hours worth of filing & fitting, but it gave me the chance to get a more suitable LOP.
20240311_185230.jpg20240311_185426.jpg

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
-how light did Gmans homebrewed stock and handgaurd end up shaving off?

Handguard is pretty light, but the parts aren't all easily available (I finagled some). I'd recommend the Kaw Valley or similar for now.
20240509_161441.jpg

Also, Solo has completed their design and they're machining their new "in house" uppers now. They should start rolling in pretty soon.