Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

180ls1

WKR
Gman,

What stock are you using with the rifle tube? The tiny thing in the picture.

However, I do not know the other go to pieces needed:
Carbon, but what diameter and length?
Is it best to chop a buffer or is there other screw type options.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

However, I do not know the other go to pieces needed:
Carbon, but what diameter and length?
Is it best to chop a buffer or is there other screw type options.
A 28mm id x 30mm od CF tube will work, but the od of the buffer tube ends have to be ground to fit. Since you're making a custom stock, you can use whatever length CF tube you'd like. I think I made mine about 1/2" longer than the A2 tube.

The id of the Farrowtech stock also has to be opened to fit the CF tube. I used my dremel for that.

It's not a huge weight savings, so unless you have a particular reason for it (shorter/longer stock, building as light as possible) it's much easier just to use the A2 tube as is; they work just fine and probably remain the cheapest option.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone experiment with a larger bolt knob or handle on the Solo? I'd think something that could be held onto with 2 fingers would ease and speed up the action. Maybe even make an ARC a more realistic possibility...

Regarding AR pistols, there are a ton of brace options on the market, though none are impressively ultralight. Here's the minimalist sling mount from Cain Arms I used on my lightest build. It weighs an ounce and costs $15.

1719319663907.png

However, going the pistol route enables you to shave barrel steel off the front end, which will result in further savings. My next ultralight build will be a bolt-action SBR with a folding stock, prioritizing handiness and balance over weight savings.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Anyone see this? 2.45oz is tempting.

👍 I like it. I'm starting to look for an ultralight optic for going into what is now known as the EMAO (East of the Mississippi Area of Operations).

Something like this optic would be great for hiking/backpacking "rambling" with the rifle when small game is the main, if any, target, but still be easily capable out to 100+ yards if needed for the odd bear or whatever.

I load 4 grains of Trail Boss under a Speer 46 grain FP for squirrels and such. Shoots about 1/2" @ 25 yards.
20240627_130619.jpg

180ls1

WKR
Not sure what the 65 MOA circle buys you in this application? Its too large for ranging the target, so?

That's just for fast target acquisition, more so for the tactical semi auto or auto guys (not hunters). The 2moa dot in the middle is for more precise shooting.

Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Just an heads up, everything site wide at Ballistic Advantage is 30% off.

That puts their 556 pencil barrels in the $120-$130 range.

180ls1

WKR
It’s nice, I haven’t tortured it, but it hasn’t died and I haven’t shot it enough to test the zero hold. Larger opening than most other red dots, but it’s still just a red dot to me.

Do you have any musings how the 2moa affects your group size and effective range compared to a 1moa (Leupod RDS) or SWFA ultralite 2.5-10x ?

Taudisio

WKR
Do you have any musings how the 2moa affects your group size and effective range compared to a 1moa (Leupod RDS) or SWFA ultralite 2.5-10x ?
We run 2moa dots on our work rifles and qualify with them at 50 yards and under. The brightness has to be turned down to the lowest value. I have zero experience with a 1 moa dot. The 2 moa can be difficult to pick up on a sunny day. Often times you have to turn it up high to find it and back down for accuracy. I much prefer the primary arms slx. The weight penalty vs the 5x magnification and accuracy is worth it. I would love to play with a 3x version but I remember not liking the reticle as much. A simpler crosshair with bdc hash marks on the 5x would be my Goldilocks of sights for keeping a low weight, size, and proper magnification for 99.99% of what I use all of my rifles for. I feel 100 percent confident in the red dot for deer rib targets out to 200-250 yards. Double that yardage for the 5x for a 5 ounce penalty.

Also, they tint red dot glass so the light can be reflected. It was pointed out to me, and is noticeable during those first and last light minutes.

Optics are not the place to maximize weight savings on these builds. For self-defense, red dots are great, but for hunting purposes, they don't work well for IDing targets or shooting lanes or antlers, especially in low light.

There's tons of places to save weight on these builds that don't make a lick of difference — a slender barrel, simplistic stock, polymer components, etc. — but by all means, use quality bullets, a good trigger, and a magnified optic. I promise that you will kill more game without ever noticing the weight increase.

magnified optics > red dots > iron sights