Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
Wilson Combat has 7" handguards that are not too heavy.

HANDGUARD, AR-15, M-LOK, 7.3", BLACK ANODIZE
SKU: TR-MLOK-7
1$86.21

Taudisio

WKR
Well last night I did myself dirty and bought an 12" 8.6bo barrel to try and replicate my 300bo build but with a larger caliber. I love the idea behind that Atloppshop CD-10 (AR10) but damn that cost is a killer. I haven't asked Solo300 if he's willing to sell his detent separately but he wouldn't sell a 7" handguard buy itself so...

@Taudisio if your machinist is willing to make the detent I'd be interested.

For the 8.6 I was thinking following the same path as some others. TN ARMS AR10 lower, NFA LPK, lightweight brace, minimalist handguard. Whether I can get this done in time is up to my wallet!
He has a different idea. I have parts ordered for him to experiment with. It’s going to be a while

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
I know this thread is pretty centered around the AR platform, but I’m currently building a custom carbon fiber stock that is turning out to be even more lightweight than I expected. It’s for a Kimber 6.5 CM, so the overall package will be pretty light. With my 13.6 oz Nikon 3-9x40 I’m anticipating being just a few ounces over 5 pounds with scope, rings, and sling, but with an optic change could pretty easily be under 5 pounds. See the thread below for more details.

Still building, but here’s the current state:
896DD9FE-663E-42D6-9EC6-D4112D8468A5.jpeg

RepeatPete

Lil-Rokslider
Anything new for lightweight optics?

Going through this thread I see a lot of the microprisms, some small Leupold’s and the SWFA ultralight - anything else worth looking at thats at or under 12 oz? I have a lead in a Burris 2-7 thats 12 oz, but would like to go a little lower if possible.

ChrisAU

WKR
Anything new for lightweight optics?

Going through this thread I see a lot of the microprisms, some small Leupold’s and the SWFA ultralight - anything else worth looking at thats at or under 12 oz? I have a lead in a Burris 2-7 thats 12 oz, but would like to go a little lower if possible.

They are very rare now but for something with a little mag for very little weight the Leupold 2.5x20 was hard to beat. Hate I sold mine.

The ultimate lightweight optic to me is a Trijicon ACOG in the magnification of your choice. To save weight, mill the upper receiver to direct mount the optic, with screws coming from below. JP Enterprises once offered this service, so I know it can be done.

The 3x24 optic without mount weighs 6.1 ounces. Don’t see how you beat that with another magnified optic. The 4x32 below weighs 10.5 ounces.
1718282174429.jpeg

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
Found something interesting. I would be very curious as to what you all think.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR

Several are in use here. They work fine. The very first rifle posted in the thread uses one.

Taudisio

WKR

I’m running one on the 6x45 (camo gun below).

Just a bit of fun, I weighed both rifles with full magazines. Just under 8lbs. I sent the photo to my hunting partner. His reply, “You can pack your rifle and your backup up the mountain and still weigh less than most guys.”

Attachments

• IMG_3473.jpeg
    IMG_3473.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 32

WyoJeff

FNG
first day to range....
currently a 2.5-8 Leupold.
shots 4-6 ...EVER....pictured....random loose 223 commercial rounds from range bag
Needs better trigger
Needs a little bit of muzzle weight to "settle "for the shot.
Ultralight AR doesnt "cuddle" well on a bench
super surprised how accurate it wants to be...thinking a lightweight Maven 12x scope is justified?
NOT a smooth action, hoping it will break in, can easily see why a "sticky" cartridge would be an aggravation

Attachments

• 20240613_193216.jpg
    20240613_193216.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240615_093743 (1).jpg
    20240615_093743 (1).jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 20
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
first day to range....
currently a 2.5-8 Leupold.
shots 4-6 ...EVER....pictured....random loose 223 commercial rounds from range bag
Needs better trigger
Needs a little bit of muzzle weight to "settle "for the shot.
Ultralight AR doesnt "cuddle" well on a bench
super surprised how accurate it wants to be...thinking a lightweight Maven 12x scope is justified?
NOT a smooth action, hoping it will break in, can easily see why a "sticky" cartridge would be an aggravation
Have you used a light grease on all the contact surfaces on your bolt lugs and carrier? I grease mine liberally with red grease and maybe a couple of drops of oil if it needs thinning at all. They're not Tikka smooth, but shouldn't be too bad either.

Also, if your bolt isn't from Solo, be sure to remove the rubber plunger and o-ring from the extractor. That makes it easier for the extractor to ride over the case rim and makes chambering a lot easier. Those are generally already removed from solo bolts by solo.

Looks like you might be a contender in the Special Olympics, I'd better get my shit in order!

WyoJeff

FNG
its a Solo....yes some grease but what it really needs is a day on a prairie dog town.
more you shoot smoother they get!
honestly surprised how well it shot right outta the parts bin. Im old school expect to need big diameter barrels for best of accuracy. Faxon barrels really this good?
.......I know what twist rate is but do you have better accuracy with lighter or heavier bullets?

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
its a Solo....yes some grease but what it really needs is a day on a prairie dog town.
more you shoot smoother they get!
honestly surprised how well it shot right outta the parts bin. Im old school expect to need big diameter barrels for best of accuracy. Faxon barrels really this good?
.......I know what twist rate is but do you have better accuracy with lighter or heavier bullets?
I have 4 Faxon barrels, including a 5.56 and 223 Wylde, and they're all capable of sub-moa. I haven't shot many 55 grain bullets or spent much time developing loads for them but maybe a slight edge to heavier bullets. That said, the Nosler 52 CC shot extremely well, better than anything else I've tried.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
300 HAMR waiting for me to pop a fixed 4x on it and pin on a lower. I didn’t go crazy with weight savings. Expecting 4 to 4-1/2 lbs ish all up.

For those of you using AR height rings and shooting the 125 TNT, what zero range do you use?

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6755.jpeg

Last edited:

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
Went to the range for a function test today and everything was 100%, except the braked 300 HAMR broke the cheap scope I was using to sight it in.

I’ll upgraded the scope and try again.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Went to the range for a function test today and everything was 100%, except the braked 300 HAMR broke the cheap scope I was using to sight it in.

I’ll upgraded the scope and try again.
Yeah, the HAM’R in an UL-UL is a fast recoiling little sucker. Might be a good idea to use liquid electrical tape on the rings as well. Mine was slipping in the Aero mounts before I did that.