Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

Taudisio

WKR
I went out and shot 125 rounds from the 6x45 on Saturday. This photo, I took Monday, was my reminder of the good times I had over the weekend. I don’t bruise easily.

Attachments

• IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 26

Taudisio

WKR
I also forgot to post this.
I think my hold changed, the chevron reticle for the 200 yard mark is not my favorite. Group measures 3.125” tall and 2.25” wide. I blame the “height” of the group on the reticle. Shooting position was standing with the rifle in the crotch of a tree @211 yards. Rifle weight is 3lb 15oz empty with the suppressor adapter installed. So basically no handicap. A digger squirrel was also introduced to the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I also forgot to post this.
I think my hold changed, the chevron reticle for the 200 yard mark is not my favorite. Group measures 3.125” tall and 2.25” wide. I blame the “height” of the group on the reticle. Shooting position was standing with the rifle in the crotch of a tree @211 yards. Rifle weight is 3lb 15oz empty with the suppressor adapter installed. So basically no handicap. A digger squirrel was also introduced to the rifle.
Well, that gives me something to shoot for. I won't be able to get to it until sometime in July though.

David, I've been using my Redfield Revolution 2-7 Accu-Range scopes on mine. Slightly heavier than the Leupolds but I do like that I can use the top of the center ring as a 150 yard zero. That flattens the trajectory. The Accu-Range is probably my favorite reticle.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
1000005359.jpg

Just spent 10 mins with a grinder made a long-OAL ASC mag. Looks like I can get 2.37" (hello, 75 ELDM). With a little milling of the lower, upper, and barrel shank, one could go 2.45+...

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
View attachment 727405

Just spent 10 mins with a grinder made a long-OAL ASC mag. Looks like I can get 2.37" (hello, 75 ELDM). With a little milling of the lower, upper, and barrel shank, one could go 2.45+...
Taudisio has been going this route with his 6x45. Seems like it works really well for him. Like to hear if you get the 75ELDM shooting well.

I did read something interesting about single stack mags that were made for NRA High Power when shooting long bullets in the AR. Apparently the mags fed the cartridges in the center channel in the rear of the mag and could load to 2.45" or so. I wasn't able to find much information nor any pictures of them, but would be interesting to actually see one.

Apparently after mag length 77 grain bullets were developed they became obsolete for High Power competitions.

Taudisio

WKR
View attachment 727405

I got 2.375” (rubbing) with the window mag and the factory mag well on the TN arms. So looks to be about the same. I windowed two of the steel mags (ASC and Duramag) down to fit all 10 rounds. Also I filed down the follower so I “can” fit 11 rounds in the mag, it won’t seat with a closed bolt. I took a coil off the springs and bent the cut part of the coil back to match the original shape. 10 rounds click in with a closed bolt much easier now. Both magazines have been flawless. A dremel with a cutoff wheel and sanding bit, and a pair of dikes, made them both about 10 minute projects. They do require a nice tap to the back to make sure the bases are towards the rear. I have hundreds of rounds through them. Exposed lead bullet tips get pretty flattened. The plastic tips hold up well and I really pay attention to “the feel” when I am running my neck mandrel just to keep tabs on the seating tension.

Edit to add, these are seated to 2.355” which gives the 87gr vmax .025” jump and I am right at a full case without too much crush of the powder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
Also, if someone else wants to do it with one of these brands and cutoff the smallest amount of metal possible, let me know and I’ll measure the exact spots so just the tips will be exposed and you won’t have big gaps like mine do. A lot of the missing metal on mine appears excessive.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
Took the HAMR out again today using the drop table from a few pages back and 125 TNTs at 2480 fps. Banging the gongs consistently out to 250 with no real holdover. Past that fairly consistent hits, but I’m certain I’d limit my HAMRing to <300 yards

180ls1

WKR
They don't list the weight but a reviewer said they are a hair over 17oz. I'll weight them when they arrive, for the price ($67) it seemed hard to beat.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
They don't list the weight but a reviewer said they are a hair over 17oz. I'll weight them when they arrive, for the price ($67) it seemed hard to beat.

Good find!!

Taudisio

WKR
With pistol braces green-lit by SCOTUS, I'd suggest going the AR pistol route for lightweight builds. Less barrel means less steel and less weight. For the barrel, I'd buy something like this PSA tube, chop and thread it around 12.XX inches, and add a small suppressor. Ballistically, it would be good out to 350 yards, which is a long ways for a 3-pound gun.

I wonder if there are very minimalist/lightweight styles of braces like the farrowtech? I don’t recall seeing any but I haven’t really searched.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
I can buy complete uppers at my local gun store, BCA refuses to ship me parts citing the WA “assault weapon ban”

I had one of their 22 uppers that I liked a lot, I think I’m going to quit buying from them in general over their current policies.

For example, won’t send me a 22lr upper when rimfire are explicitly excluded the ban.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I wonder if there are very minimalist/lightweight styles of braces like the farrowtech? I don’t recall seeing any but I haven’t really searched.
If not, it's relatively simple to cut the ends off an A2 buffer tube and replace the mid-section with CF tube. Mine is rifle length, but turned out well.
20240509_151719.jpg

20240509_160730.jpg

I think Smoke Composites might make one as well.

Taudisio

WKR
If not, it's relatively simple to cut the ends off an A2 buffer tube and replace the mid-section with CF tube. Mine is rifle length, but turned out well.
View attachment 728264

View attachment 728265

I think Smoke Composites might make one as well.
I was thinking more of a “brace” option for a pistol that wouldn’t get a guy hung up with the law. Maybe if you put a strap of Velcro on the tube that might classify it….I’ve just always avoided the pistols, if I misread or misunderstood the law and did the wrong thing, I’d lose my job on top of whatever fines/jailtime associated. Never been worth the squeeze.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I was thinking more of a “brace” option for a pistol that wouldn’t get a guy hung up with the law. Maybe if you put a strap of Velcro on the tube that might classify it….I’ve just always avoided the pistols, if I misread or misunderstood the law and did the wrong thing, I’d lose my job on top of whatever fines/jailtime associated. Never been worth the squeeze.
Yeah, I know next to nothing about pistol braces. Maybe @StupidLightweight can chime in. Listening to me could probably get one in trouble, but that's nothing new!

Reminds me of taking a friend snowmachining once. We had to cross a narrow ice ledge about 4' above open water in the river, which I'd passed over lots of times. When it came to his turn, he paused in front of it and said "This is a really bad idea!". I exclaimed, "Yeah, I'm full of bad ideas!", but he made it...