Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
What weights are people arriving at with the ar10? Has anyone done one inspired by this thread?
Their components are just too heavy to make much of an ultralight. For weight with 308 based cartridges, you're better off with one of the lightweight Kimbers or Howas, or something like that in the 4# range.

180ls1

WKR
I’m curious about this as well. I think a 6mm Creedmoor is my next rifle cartridge.
Yup. The "cheap/easy" button seems to be the Ruger SFAR, it comes in 6.5 creed but is 6.8lbs. There are a few floating around the internet at 4.5lbs without optic or mag. Cost scales up fast as well.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Yup. The "cheap/easy" button seems to be the Ruger SFAR, it comes in 6.5 creed but is 6.8lbs. There are a few floating around the internet at 4.5lbs without optic or mag. Cost scales up fast as well.
I linked one of those in the first few pages of this thread. As I recall, with a 16" barrel it was only a few ounces lighter than my Kimber with a 22" barrel.

I suppose if someone were to tackle it from the ground up, like a Solo, with a custom barrel, etc, you could hit, or maybe even break 4#. No idea how well it would extract though. Who knows, maybe well...??? I don't have any experience with AR10s. It would be interesting to remove the gas from one and see.

Taudisio

WKR
A 90-105gr with a high bc, ripping 3000fps from an 18-20” barrel (suppressed) in a 5.5 pound scoped package, reliable feeding……seems to be asking a lot, but what a great tool for the job. If a company could only figure it out for a $1k package, a guy could only dream.

David Walter

FNG
Classified Approved
That doesn't look functionally different from the KaliKey, and the KaliKey conversion uses your existing parts.

At a fraction of the cost. I'm thinking of a KaliKey and a JP low mass bolt for my Faxon-Barreled 6 ARC.

As a minimum, the buffer should be expendable, as it's function is taming bolt travel.

I just sent this question to KaliKey:

Does the KaliKey system require a spring to keep the bolt in battery or locked?

I wouldn't think so.

If not, this would allow the addition of folding stocks vs. traditional AR stocks with tubes.

See this conversation for back ground on the growing bolt action AR movement.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thegman

WKR
Saw this yesterday and it looks like a good option for these types of builds, they even offer a grendel bolt face so maybe it extracts well.

Straight pull
Interesting. Looks like a Solo with a steel carrier and the bolt handle being moved to the charging handle position. Looks like the same Daniel Defense type upper used on the first Solos (what I have). Doesn't appear to have any lockup aid, I guess just friction from the chambered cartridge. StupidLightweight came up with that on his original straight-pull and it seems to work fine.

It would be fun to mess with one. Doesn't look like it would make a Solo class weight as it is for now. Too much un-needed steel and extra metal for the charging system. No reason I guess a charging handle like that couldn't be installed on a Solo, but you'd lose the locking detent.

Taudisio

WKR
I don’t see why they couldn’t sell just the bolt/handle. Doesn’t appear to have anything special with the actual upper. I’d be curious what it would cost alone.

OP
T

Thegman

WKR
I don’t see why they couldn’t sell just the bolt/handle. Doesn’t appear to have anything special with the actual upper. I’d be curious what it would cost alone.
Could probably just drop the handle on a Solo or any cut off aluminum carrier to try it out.

I've not heard of Solo selling the detent key. Kind of their unique piece.

Taudisio

WKR
Could probably just drop the handle on a Solo or any cut off aluminum carrier to try it out.

I've not heard of Solo selling the detent key. Kind of their unique piece.
Yea I took a peek at it again. Just two screws that fit into the gas key. I am going to show it to my smith, who machines his own parts, see if he can make his own “bolt” and see what his costs would be…..

Taudisio

WKR
I can’t get over their price, a flat side ar upper receiver ($80), a chopped bcg ($100 and cut with an angle grinder in under 5 minutes) then to machine the bolt for the rest of the $600 cost?!?

I did a quick search and found even lower prices….the smith said it is simple and he has other ideas to do it better

Attachments

• IMG_3448.png
    IMG_3448.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
T

Thegman

WKR

I said Daniel Defense earlier, should have said Davidson. I think that's who makes them(?). Probably the same source as the NBS I imagine.

Might be worth putting your handle on the cheapest aluminum bolt carrier you can find. I think you can find them for less than $100. Like to see what you come up with.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Love the innovation here! If only someone would come up with a rotational bolt action to solve the extraction difficulty for less cost than the Uintah... A 6 ARC would be so sweet.