Ultralight Tripod Options

sargent

WKR
Can you tell me the weight without ball head and center column?
It weighs 1 lb, 9.5 ounces without the head and center column. For shooting, I'm sure you will be giving up some stability to your heavier tripod, but the LS-224C is definitely capable of offering a decent, consistent shooting platform from all positions, prone to standing. A couple of things working in my favor for shooting off this tripod are the fact that I'm not too tall (5'8") and my rifle, fully loaded, weighs 6.5 lbs. Rifle and Tripod.jpg

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
It weighs 1 lb, 9.5 ounces without the head and center column. For shooting, I'm sure you will be giving up some stability to your heavier tripod, but the LS-224C is definitely capable of offering a decent, consistent shooting platform from all positions, prone to standing. A couple of things working in my favor for shooting off this tripod are the fact that I'm not too tall (5'8") and my rifle, fully loaded, weighs 6.5 lbs.
thank you for the info. It’s on sale right now on Amazon and I couldn’t pass it up.

Dennis

WKR
My light weight system consists of a Spartan Precision Davros Head on Precision Rifle Solutions Large QD (Slik) Tripod. About 2 lbs total for tripod system with head. I converted all optics to the same system using light and heavy duty optics adapters, cell phone adapter and two gunsmith adapters on my light rifle. Front adapter is for Javelin bipod.

IMG_0116.jpg

ewade07

WKR
I picked up one of the Aoka 28" tripods last week, paired it with this head:

Head seems to be pretty good for how much I paid for it. Pans pretty well and only weighs 9 oz.

Total setup will be at 1 lb 9 oz. The extension on the Aoka is pretty janky, way too thin. Think I will upgrade to the SUNWAYFOTO ET-01 for some more stability.

Going to give this a run. Was using a Sirui Traveler 5C (underrated tripod) with the VA-5 head. Dropped 18 oz from the Sirui setup to the Aoka

ewade07

WKR
Little update on the tripod setup. I ditched the cheap amazon head and went with the Tricer pan head. HUGE difference. Upgraded to the SUNWAYFOTO ET-01 center pole as well. Have had it out with me shed hunting on a few trips and it has been working great. The tripod can really only be used when sitting down. Handles my Sig Zulu 11x binos and a Vortex 11x33 spotter with ease. Total setup is something like 1 lb 9 oz. Definitely something looking into getting for an ultra lightweight setup.

OP
PathFinder
As an update for myself, I purchased a Tricer pan head as well. Significant upgrade vs the Amazon one and almost 6oz lighter. At the $180 price point it's an outstanding option.

schmalzy

WKR
Little update on the tripod setup. I ditched the cheap amazon head and went with the Tricer pan head. HUGE difference. Upgraded to the SUNWAYFOTO ET-01 center pole as well. Have had it out with me shed hunting on a few trips and it has been working great. The tripod can really only be used when sitting down. Handles my Sig Zulu 11x binos and a Vortex 11x33 spotter with ease. Total setup is something like 1 lb 9 oz. Definitely something looking into getting for an ultra lightweight setup.

I have an Aoka already and planning on picking up the tricer and sunway extension; any pictures of it all set up or stowed away? Curious of how much more space the extension and head take up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churley15

FNG
Classified Approved
I put this head on the aoka tripod, works great for my 553 and super light weight and sub 100

SmallRig Selection Tripod Fluid Head Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate for Arca Swiss for Compact Video Cameras and DSLR Cameras -3259 https://a.co/d/5MNAuYO

I will say that you have to keep both the fluid knobs fairly tight or else there is play in the head, but aside from that it works great

ewade07

WKR
I have an Aoka already and planning on picking up the tricer and sunway extension; any pictures of it all set up or stowed away? Curious of how much more space the extension and head take up.

Here’s some pictures. I’m running the Tricer bino adapter as well as the head. The tripod is on a MR guide lite frame with a pintler bag. It’s a little tall but doesn’t bother me.

Attachments

• 9E748CE5-5831-4B0E-8121-B833407A867F.jpeg
    9E748CE5-5831-4B0E-8121-B833407A867F.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 4ACADFCE-484B-470A-B77C-86A2B1108AF9.jpeg
    4ACADFCE-484B-470A-B77C-86A2B1108AF9.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 136

kpk

WKR
Update on the Aoka/SmallRig Combo:
I just spent 5 days on a mule deer hunt with it. About 22 hours sitting glassing, mostly with 12x binos but some with a 65mm spotter. Really impressed with it overall. The SmallRig head leaves little to be desired, the pan axis has loosened up some to where it should be. The tripod is just a hair on the short side. I found the included extension to be essentially worthless. It's too tall and the head constantly unscrews from it. My plan is to make some 6" extensions for the bottom leg sections. It will make it longer in its shortest state, but that doesn't bother me. Will post an update when I get that done.

What model SmallRig are you guys using?

How does the aoka and tricer setup work with a smaller spotter like the kowa 553 or the new swaro? Is it strong enough to hold the spotter and a digscope?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does the aoka and tricer setup work with a smaller spotter like the kowa 553 or the new swaro? Is it strong enough to hold the spotter and a digscope?

I would say yes; the guy that originally told me about the tripod said his guide (AK sheep hunt) was using it with a Swaro ATS 65. I'm not sure I'd use the tripod for a scope quite that large/heavy, but would think one using it on a 553 or ATC would be fine.

schmalzy

WKR

No experience with the Tricer but watched my guide use one with a Vortex 80mm spotter on the Aoka without issues. Digiscoped and videoed the shot and it worked great.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I also purchased a AOKA 28" tripod; it was just a wee bit too short for me to glass comfortably seated- I bought the same Sunway ET01 extension as above and now I'm back in business :D

I also have a Kramer Designs Granite Peak tripod, for just mid-sized binoculars it does pretty good and at 8.5 oz, nothing comes close to touching it weight wise. I think it will see less action now though with the addition of the AOKA.

I looked at the Wiser head- looks very nice, but fter the bargain price of the AOKA- makes it more difficult to jump on it.
Can you use the Kramer designs with a small spotter such as the Kowa 553 or ATC?

No experience with the Tricer but watched my guide use one with a Vortex 80mm spotter on the Aoka without issues. Digiscoped and videoed the shot and it worked great.

Thanks for the info, sounds like it held good for a decent sized spotter with digi gear