Ultralight Tripod Options

This.Slik 624 from S&S except went one step further ,remove the bottom leg sections as I use it sitting almost always. I removed the handle entirely . I am also using it with a Pentax PF 65 angled scope. 2 pounds 4 oz. (tripod only).

atmat

WKR
Slik 634 + Wiser Pan head runs 2lb 6oz and is what I run. Great setup.

Removing center post makes it even lighter.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
For the last couple years I've been using an Aoka 28" with a Slik SH-704E (10.2oz stock, right around 9oz with one of the handles replaced with a bolt). Really like the combo, but the Slik doesn't use Arca plates so you have to use their proprietary plates; if I didn't already own a handful of those I'd probably go with a Small RIg.

I have two tripods that I use on hunts now - a rather large, sturdy CF tripod that extends to over 6' (I'm 6'4" so this is important to me). It's a Brunton but I'm sure it was made for them by someone else. I use it from the truck or from camp.

The tripod that goes with me is a pretty inexpensive one I got from Amazon (I think I paid $50 for it) and although it's aluminum, it's lighter than most CF tripods of its size. It only extends to about 3' but I am always sitting when I use it so that's plenty. It weighs about 20 oz. total, with the ball head. The most important feature of my backpack tripod is individual leg angle adjustments. That way, when I'm sitting on a rock and leaning back against my pack, I can adjust the legs so the tripod sits basically in my lap and I don't have to lean forward to look through the bins or spotter.

That little tripod only gets used about 3 days/year so it's still in great shape. It's very easy to overpay for tripods.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Vortex Summit Carbon 2 last fall and have been happy with it. It's 2.5 LBS in stock form, but I swapped their pan head out with a Slik SVH-501 head. However, I'm still sub 3 lbs all in. I could swap it out with an even lighter head and still get good performance, but I like that little Slik head. It's seated height only, all carbon fiber, packs down to about 22 inches long, and handles my 85mm spotter with ease and excels in handling binos. I really have been happy with the setup.

Have the same tripod, dont love the head. How is the Slik head better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also purchased a AOKA 28" tripod; it was just a wee bit too short for me to glass comfortably seated- I bought the same Sunway ET01 extension as above and now I'm back in business :D

I also have a Kramer Designs Granite Peak tripod, for just mid-sized binoculars it does pretty good and at 8.5 oz, nothing comes close to touching it weight wise. I think it will see less action now though with the addition of the AOKA.

I looked at the Wiser head- looks very nice, but fter the bargain price of the AOKA- makes it more difficult to jump on it.

BigVick04

FNG
This.Slik 624 from S&S except went one step further ,remove the bottom leg sections as I use it sitting almost always. I removed the handle entirely . I am also using it with a Pentax PF 65 angled scope. 2 pounds 4 oz. (tripod only).
What do you use for feet when you remove the lower leg sections?

JakeSCH

WKR
If you carry trekking poles with you, I ran the Tricer GTP-I and the outdoorsman micropan last year. It was solid for binos and worked well with my 883. Getting use to expanding leg length of trekking poles took me a little bit to get use to but saved me 10oz on my backpack hunts.

I placed a pre-order on their new panhead. I got to test it a few times with 15x SLC's and i liked it significantly better then my micropan, so going to test out that combo next year. Will be just under 25 oz for panhead and tripod (assuming you are already carrying trekking poles).

What do you use for feet when you remove the lower leg sections?
Still working on that problem. Looking for some rubber chair leg tips or something similar. So far it has been on my lawn and living room floor. I also need to go out and try on a steeper slope to make sure the legs will still be long enough. Thought of trying the rubber dip stuff for pliers handles as well.

PRC

FNG
Check out the Oben CTT-1000L. Awesome and only weighs 16oz with the head and attaches to the arca plate on my rifle to kill two birds with one stone!!

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Still working on that problem. Looking for some rubber chair leg tips or something similar. So far it has been on my lawn and living room floor. I also need to go out and try on a steeper slope to make sure the legs will still be long enough. Thought of trying the rubber dip stuff for pliers handles as well.

I use rubber end caps, but u have to get the sizing correct to be tight.

Just got the Aoka 28” tripod and the neewer mini fluid head for this years sheep/goat hunts. Tried it out tonight with my Sx-5 spotter and handled the weight better than I thought. It wont be as solid as my sirui 025sk tripod and va-5 head but is saving me a significant amount of weight. I don’t think the perfect ultralight tripod and head exists but this combo is about as good of a setup I could put together.

I've got a Sirui Traveler 5C carbon fiber tripod. Comes with a halfway decent ball head. As others have said, it's far from perfect, but for a touch over 100 bucks I was all in with a tripod and head that weighs less than 2 pounds. I'm not jumping up and down about it, but it's definitely a viable option, and is perfectly capable of glassing standing up with

atmat

WKR
I've been using the Leofoto LS-224C with the LH-25 ball head for about seven months. It's sub-2 pounds, but still gets tall enough that I'm able to shoot standing off of it. I used it to do quite a bit of glassing on this year's elk hunt and I've probably shot over 400 rounds off it and it's held up well. It's on sale right now too.
I’ve owned and used this setup before. I found it really lacking for managing a spotter well. But it’s super lightweight, I’ll give you that!

Just got the Aoka 28” tripod and the neewer mini fluid head for this years sheep/goat hunts. Tried it out tonight with my Sx-5 spotter and handled the weight better than I thought. It wont be as solid as my sirui 025sk tripod and va-5 head but is saving me a significant amount of weight. I don’t think the perfect ultralight tripod and head exists but this combo is about as good of a setup I could put together.
I’ll add, 21 ounces total for tripod, head, and arca Swiss plate.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered the aoka 28 and small rig head after reading this. Thread must be selling a few added it to my cart last night said there was 20 in stock this morning it was down to 14 better get them while you can!

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using the Leofoto LS-224C with the LH-25 ball head for about seven months. It's sub-2 pounds, but still gets tall enough that I'm able to shoot standing off of it. I used it to do quite a bit of glassing on this year's elk hunt and I've probably shot over 400 rounds off it and it's held up well. It's on sale right now too.
I’ve been looking at this for a lighter weight option than my Ls-324c, especially for when I’m archery hunting and don’t plan to shoot off of, but if youre able to shoot on, that’s even better.
Can you tell me the weight without ball head and center column?
I use an anvil 30 which weighs 15oz. My ls-324c is 3 lb, .3 oz without head or center post for reference.