Ultralight Tripod Options

rafiki

FNG
slik 624 from S&S archery , siruiuuiuruiu va-5 head with Aziak handle. I also remove the center post. bomber durable. light. not exactly cheap. have only used with 10x42's and a very light Kowa spotter. seems capable of much more.
this^ never thought about pulling the center post but good idea.

Beendare

WKR
These threads kill me. I never would have thought to change out my current tripod.

I have had the Sirui CF T-1205x tripod for a decade or so....1# 14oz and a Sirui ball head 7oz [both rounding up]
2# 5 oz total- bulletproof, rock solid and I like the ball head.

The Sirui 125 and lighter head above is $300+?

I could see myself swapping out the tripod- 6 -7oz savings [edit; I broke down and did it]...but changing the head I like for the $200 Tricer head is only 2 oz- doesn't make sense for me.

Last edited:

alexnelon

FNG

I could see myself swapping out the tripod- 6 -7oz savings [edit; I broke down and did it]...but changing the head I like for the $200 Tricer head is only 2 oz- doesn't make sense for me.
I'm right here too.

Not seeing the point of the $200 pan head. If we were talking about a 5oz fluid head with a 30 pound rating that would be different but for a pan head I'm not about it.

mtnwkr

FNG
Just studied all 9 pages and ended up with the Sirui at125 and fluid head, use code NEW5 and it was $107 shipped.

I'm pretty sure by now I've bought and tried pretty much every little arca ball head on amazon... quite a few are very lightweight and fit the bill for very light duty use... but the best I've found for a combination of features, lightweight-ness, and able to hold up my rifle... are the Leofoto LH22 and the Aoka kb20. I'm also still partial to the AM225 tripod, as I like that it allows me to go all the way to the ground in a prone shooting position. Not super stable above a kneeling height shooting position... but at 5'8 I can use my angled eyepiece spotter from a full standing height... can use an extension to go higher if necessary. Including an LH22 ball head, it's 1lb 13oz. Hard to beat that for how versatile it is. However, if I'm trying to go "ultralight" I've got a sunwayfoto t16c20n tripod I've modified with longer legs that allow me to go from prone to kneeling height, and it only weighs 13.5oz Including an LH22.

Beendare

WKR
I
These threads kill me. I never would have thought to change out my current tripod.

I have had the Sirui CF T-1205x tripod for a decade or so....1# 14oz and a Sirui ball head 7oz [both rounding up]
2# 5 oz total- bulletproof, rock solid and I like the ball head.

i bought the Sirui 125, 2# 1.9oz with head, the tripod itself is 1# 7.6 oz on a postal scale.

My older Sirui from above is 1# 13.7 oz so with my same Sirui ball head 6.9oz….so I‘m 6oz lighter- 1# 14.5 oz. It appears to be as solid as my older twist lock Sirui. The AT-125 is taller than my older Sirui by about 10”.

The fluid head that came with that tripod was pretty nice 10.3 oz, about the best all around small tripod and head for only $120 inc tax.

Edit;
I see the weights on my local Post Office scale don’t jibe with the weight listed on the website for this AT-125. I’ve been using the Sirui plates and don’t know if those are the same as arca.

Solid tripod that holds my scope and 18x UHD’s…no clue if it works with a rifle, archery guy here.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Just studied all 9 pages and ended up with the Sirui at125 and fluid head, use code NEW5 and it was $107 shipped.

Hey! Anyone who has the recently ordered the Sirui AT-125 with the AT-10 head know if it is arca compatible? Looking at this set-up for glassing but would like the option to shoot off it from sitting. Just wanted to know if the included head is will accept an arca plate.

alexnelon

FNG
Hey! Anyone who has the recently ordered the Sirui AT-125 with the AT-10 head know if it is arca compatible? Looking at this set-up for glassing but would like the option to shoot off it from sitting. Just wanted to know if the included head is will accept an arca plate.
It should. The plate that came with mine (part #TY-ST10) says it is and seems to be ARCA spec. Measured exactly 1.5” wide.